Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin Golden Era anyone? (D-18GE, 000-18GE)  (Read 15004 times)
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 08:32:40 PM »

Hey Denis - I don't think you ever get over losing a guitar like that.
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 02:03:30 PM »

Denis makes a good point: whatever you get used to is what you like! The only thing I could never get used to was 1/2" clearance at the 12th fret (my FREE first guitar). It's a wonder I ever stuck around to get my second guitar.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 04:37:57 PM »

I played a 000-18GE for the first time this past weekend. Loved the neck. And the tone of the guitar. What a sweetie pie!

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
TIMCW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 11:07:03 PM »

Played a Martin 000-18GE sunburst today.  Didn't note the price as I was just window shopping.  Easily the nicest Martin I played out of the 12 or so I tried.  The neck was definitely a meaty V but more comfortable for me than the clapton model they had.  That could be due to the sorry state the guitars were in...high action and very old strings.  Still baffles me how stores think they are going sell guitars when they display them like that, but that's just my opinion.  Anyway, the 000-18GE was gorgeous for sure.
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »

I played a 000-18GE for the first time this past weekend. Loved the neck. And the tone of the guitar. What a sweetie pie!

Hi Dotneck, and TIMCW - where did you play these guitars? I guess I'm wondering if it was a store in Canada?  Also, thanks for the posts. Very helpful.
CF Larrivee

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »

I own a 000-18 GE sunburst.  Yes, it does have  a chunky neck, but the short scale helps a lot with not making the guitar not hard to play.  It just has that "vintage" sound in spades.  I am very fortunate to have one.

"The hardest thing in this world .... is to live in it." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 10:21:56 PM »

I own a 000-18 GE sunburst.  Yes, it does have  a chunky neck, but the short scale helps a lot with not making the guitar not hard to play.  It just has that "vintage" sound in spades.  I am very fortunate to have one.

Where did you get the guitar? MFG?
TIMCW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 02:43:58 AM »

Dru- one I tried out was at DW Sound in Lexington, KY.  Nice folks, just wish they'd give all those great Martins some TLC.

CF - gratz! That is a gorgeous sunburst on them.   nice guitar
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 06:34:08 AM »

I just was wondering.                      Does my 39 Martin Count as "Golden ERA"

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 08:35:30 AM »

I just was wondering.                      Does my 39 Martin Count as "Golden ERA"

Sorry Dan, Martin gets recognized for da flat tops....
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »

Sorry Dan, Martin gets recognized for da flat tops....
  Ah shucks blush    Well I have heard of some converting these to a standard 000-18 since it is the same body and neck, just set differently.

Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2011, 10:14:49 PM »

Sure ... we can always have an exception!  Do you play it much and is it playable?
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 05:26:04 AM »

Sure ... we can always have an exception!  Do you play it much and is it playable?
It is in very good playing condition. I have only been playing my 00 lately though. I'm working very long hours and my hands are not able to take much play time. When I slow down in the fall or just (semi) retire I do plan on playing it more.

Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2011, 01:12:31 PM »

It is in very good playing condition. I have only been playing my 00 lately though. I'm working very long hours and my hands are not able to take much play time. When I slow down in the fall or just (semi) retire I do plan on playing it more.

I understand about the long work hours. What are you doing at work that requires much strain on your hands? Hopefully it won't affect you long term.  A 00 sounds exciting and comfortable.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2011, 04:06:06 PM »

I understand about the long work hours. What are you doing at work that requires much strain on your hands? Hopefully it won't affect you long term.  A 00 sounds exciting and comfortable.
   I am a commercial refrigeration technician and an A/C contractor. I lost the two men who were my servicemen and installers late last year. This put me "back in the truck". In 2009 I think I put less than 3000 miles on my service van, now I do that in 3 months.
       Lots of "handwork" using wrenches, etc. Lots of heavy lifting, moving and severe heat on a roof top or an attic.   I like my trade actually, but wish my trained personnel wouldn't fall victim to drugs or move to Colorado, just when they become the most useful to me.
       I was semi-retired for the last few years, now I work 7 days a week and my "high mileage" near 60 year old body is rebelling to the demands.
                                                So, I am letting some customers go and thinking of retiring this fall (or ASAP).

Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 10:16:07 PM »

I am a commercial refrigeration technician and an A/C contractor. I lost the two men who were my servicemen and installers late last year. This put me "back in the truck". In 2009 I think I put less than 3000 miles on my service van, now I do that in 3 months.
       Lots of "handwork" using wrenches, etc. Lots of heavy lifting, moving and severe heat on a roof top or an attic.   I like my trade actually, but wish my trained personnel wouldn't fall victim to drugs or move to Colorado, just when they become the most useful to me.
       I was semi-retired for the last few years, now I work 7 days a week and my "high mileage" near 60 year old body is rebelling to the demands.
                                                So, I am letting some customers go and thinking of retiring this fall (or ASAP).

I hope your hands survive and that you have some peace of mind when playing your guitar.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 02:56:14 AM »

I am still working right now. But after posting earlier, I got the 39 Martin out . cleaned it up real nice, did a set up to die for. and played it till late last nite. I put a new set of strings on it ( I can't remember the brand now) but anyway it was a brand I had never tried and some forum members liked so I put them on. ( Kinda subdued in a sweet way)
   It even reminded me of my LSV-11's in a way. I couldn't help but think of a Gibson ES-335 and that if I could get some nice pickups in this guitar it would sing.
     BTW I also played my OM-21 and the Larrivee F-III and IV. First time in months that I've played 4 gits in one day. Thanks for the kick in the gludius maximus.(sp)

Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 01:21:36 PM »

I am still working right now. But after posting earlier, I got the 39 Martin out . cleaned it up real nice, did a set up to die for. and played it till late last nite. I put a new set of strings on it ( I can't remember the brand now) but anyway it was a brand I had never tried and some forum members liked so I put them on. ( Kinda subdued in a sweet way)
   It even reminded me of my LSV-11's in a way. I couldn't help but think of a Gibson ES-335 and that if I could get some nice pickups in this guitar it would sing.
     BTW I also played my OM-21 and the Larrivee F-III and IV. First time in months that I've played 4 gits in one day. Thanks for the kick in the gludius maximus.(sp)

Wow - you had quite a night! As far as the Es-335, Gibson '59 Classic or Seymour Duncan '59 would be great options. I guess it depends upon the type of music you're looking to play.
Stringdancer

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2011, 05:51:13 AM »

I purchased my D-18GE in 2002...it sounded great then,but after 9 years of playing it sounds angelic  some people love the V necks and some don't. Mine sounds so good though,that I would try to play it even if Martin used a power pole for a neck.

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee L-05MT
Larrivee P-05
Martin D-18GE
Martin 0M-42
Rainsong JM1000
Beard Gold Tone round neck
Ibanez AS 103- NT custom
CA Cargo
Collings 01

What I like to do when I'm not murdering perfectly good guitar tunes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterdancer/
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »

I purchased my D-18GE in 2002...it sounded great then,but after 9 years of playing it sounds angelic  some people love the V necks and some don't. Mine sounds so good though,that I would try to play it even if Martin used a power pole for a neck.

Hey StringDancer - sounds like you've got a keeper! Over the 9 years, on average, how much do you play it per week? i.e. 1 hour each week over 9 years, 5 hours, etc? 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: