RS2 back from the shop

Started by tulk1, July 03, 2011, 07:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When I got my RS2 it had a bad case of fret-end-itis. Think cheese grater.  :winkin: I bought it used, so I figured it was a humidity thing. My singer loved the sound of the guitar (and the looks - simple white with HBs, hence no need for pics). But my hand was taking a beating. Plus, I thought some of the frets were a bit square and in need of a dressing. So, off to my local fret fixer. Cliff Smith (nice generic name) plays with a local band called the Whiskey Benders. He's got an eye and an ear for whats what with guitars. Just incredible to watch him work on guitars. Okay so ..............

I get a text from him about my guitar. Seems there are 5-6 frets that are loose. Hmmm, okay - fix 'em. Another text -  seems there are 15-16 frets that aren't seated correctly. Well, with that it's off to see him in person. I get to his shop and he's gluing in nearly every one of the frets. Some were the ends, some were the middle, some were just barely hanging in. Since I was there I just hung around and watched him work on the frets. He reseated every one of them, reglued ever one of them and then had at dressing them. End result - wow! I thought the guitar was dandy before. But now?? It's a rockin' machine.

He recrowned, dressed and polished the frets. Set the bridge for the neck radius, recut the nut and basically re-setup the guitar. Well, that's what those guys are for, right? And let me tell you, as nice as I thought the RS2 was before the setup, it's a marvelous piece of work now. He even commented on how nice the guitar was, offered to buy this one. He did say he was a bit disappointed in the fret work. But to be honest, I don't know what may have happened to the guitar before I got it. But it seems those "high frets" were the frets actually flexing out of the fretboard. Bottom line tho' - my RS2 is back, it's in the onstage rotation once again. And there are happy smiles all around. WooHoo!!
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

We heard this complaint from a handful of customers. We have completely changed how the RS-2 is fretted now and this should never ben an issue again - Im sure thats of little condolance to you, but hopefully for other future customers it will be re-assuring.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on July 03, 2011, 11:43:46 AM
We heard this complaint from a handful of customers. We have completely changed how the RS-2 is fretted now and this should never ben an issue again - Im sure thats of little condolance to you, but hopefully for other future customers it will be re-assuring.

Thanks for the feedback!
Matthew, wasn't looking for condolences. Not at all. I may have gone deeper into fixing the guitar than I originally intended. I did buy it used and have taken that into account. My post was more about what a marvelous guitar the RS2 is - and Larrivee in general. We have two Larrivee's on stage at all time. And the RS2 is back on stage with the RS4 and the OMV-05E. We missed it! On the other hand, great to hear a problem was addressed.  :thumb
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."