Just took my baby in for a setup

Started by Sherm, June 25, 2011, 04:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I bought a late 90's OM-10 a few months ago and just took it in for a setup by Larry Cragg in Marin County. Larry is Neil Young's guitar and amp tech and I think he does some work for Carlos Santana too. Anyway, he works out of a tiny shed in front of a house in San Anselmo up in Marin County. I brought the OM-10 in this morning and he said it was a beauty with great sound, but it needs the neck straightened, some fret dressing, and he recommended a bone saddle to replace the stock saddle. The stock saddle has a beveled edge which makes the low E and A string intonation a bit sharp. I am going to stick with the Martin SP light-medium strings I have been using for the last couple of months. Can't wait to get her back in a few days.

Sherm
OM-10
1979 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Fender Strat Plus
Hohner Headless

Tain't nothing like a good setup to make your fingers happy.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Just picked up my OM-10 from the tech today and I am amazed at how well it plays now, it's like night and day! I bought this late 90's OM-10 used and it had a lot of divots on some of the frets and I didn't realize how hard I was holding the strings down to try and get a clean, clear tone until my tech dressed the frets and rounded the crowns. The neck also had too much concave relief before so the tech straightened the neck. The other big thing he did was make a custom bone saddle. With all these changes the guitar felt like a dream to play with great action and intonation, and I realized how hard I had been fighting it whenever I played it before getting a proper setup. I liked the OM-10 before but now I love it! Like so many here have said before, a proper setup makes all the difference in the world.

Sherm
OM-10
Fender Strat Plus
Hohner Headless

Congrats and enjoy.Notin like a set up by someone who know's what there doin. :cheers
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

way to go Sherm.....I use the martin SP as well...they take a week or two to break in...then they stay in tune really well with an extra sweet tone...i just love them and find they last a looonng time..somewhat like cleartones.........  btw     :nice guitar:
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Larry is the only guy in the world that knows how to set up a Gibson SG properly. You could not have picked a better guitar tech.

Kind Regards,
Steve  :donut

Did you learn about getting guitars set up properly from forums, from other players or from other sources? It seems like the availability of information on the forums have been a Godsend (at least for me it has been).

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: ffinke on July 14, 2011, 08:00:28 AM
Did you learn about getting guitars set up properly from forums, from other players or from other sources? It seems like the availability of information on the forums have been a Godsend (at least for me it has been).

f

Mostly from this forum and the AGF. BTW, I just got my Strat back from Larry and I left my 1979 Les Paul with him for setup. I've played the heck out of the Les Paul in the past with lots of string bending and the frets had divots and rough edges all up and down the neck. Like unclrob said, properly set up guitars are such a joy to play that I'm spending a lot more hours playing my recently set up guitars  :nana_guitar

Sherm
OM-10
Fender Strat Plus
Hohner Headless