Best pup for an octave mandolin?

Started by willfo, June 16, 2011, 05:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has anyone installed a pup in an octave mando? :? :? :? :? :?
Larrivee D03RE
Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele
Republic Tricone
various banjo , mandolins, and lap steels

I have a McIntyre Feather on my Crump OM. It sounds pretty good, although I rarely plug it in.

The Octave Mandolin is pretty much riding in the the mid to upper registers of the guitar. I have seen/heard of folks using, pretty much, the stuff out there that is available for the acoustic guitar.

Pick up the world! They will make one custom if needed, great sounding and great people to deal with. I searched around for where to get a p/u on mine and after research found out about them. They will make p/u's for anything thing you may want one for as well. With mine I took measurement of bridge and they made it. Check'm out. You can call and they will patiently discuss what you need. A little more pricey but you get what you pay for. Sounds natural and has good output level.

http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/

P.S. I had McIntyre put in at thier shop (in 000-60 Guitar). There are located close here on coast of NC. It is the least favorite of my pick-ups. It sounds "OK" but has weak output compared to K&K or Pick-up the world. I also have a custom mandolin that came with McIntyre as well and same deal.  Definitely needs a preamp and they will tell you that straight up. The weak output seems to equate to losing something as well even after boosted up IMO.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

LR Baggs makes the radius pickup. I dont have a mandolin and dont know much about the pickup but I do use Baggs in my 2 Larrivee's and love them. My guess is that it would be worth a look.
Dan

Thank you everyone for the advice  , very helpful!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Larrivee D03RE
Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele
Republic Tricone
various banjo , mandolins, and lap steels