Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: notch filter  (Read 500 times)
johnr

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2011, 09:11:04 PM »

just started playing with this little knob on my omv o3e .noticed a big change in sound .what does it do?when i turn it to the right all the way ;it sounds bassy.when i turn it to the left ;i like the sound more...any help? thx!
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 09:24:25 PM »

What the notch filter does is remove a very narrow spectrum out of the audio range (20-20000hz). The purpose is to remove feedback. Feedback will often occur at a specific frequency on a guitar ( and the frequency is different on every guitar). For arguments sake, lets say that the resonant frequency of your specific guitar is 105hz. In a live setting when something that is 105hz hits the instrument it will begin to vibrate - This in turn causes the pickup to amplify the 105hz tone, which in turn causes the guitar to vibrate more, which in turn causes the pickup to amply the 105hz tone, and so on and so forth - ergo feedback... A Notch filter is designed to cut or "notch" that specific frequency so that it is not amplified, and in turn not fed back. The L.R. Baggs notch filter is quite narrow so that it doesnt majorly affect the tone. If you get feedback in a live setting, you simply adjust the knob until you notch out that frequency.

What you are hearing is not the bass or treble increasing, but rather a decrease in the oposite frquency.. I.e. if you perceive it as more bassy it's because the treble has been removed, not because the bass has been boosted. make sense?
johnr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 09:56:36 PM »

kinda makes sense...i;ve played three gigs with this guitar,but today out on my deck i plugged into my ultrasound amp and adjusted the knob for the first time and noticed a brighter sound!hopefully i can leave it there and get no feedback...man i love this guitar .i'll find out thurs nite!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: