Larrivee L vs Taylor GA - why did you choose Larrivee?

Started by lmacmil, June 01, 2011, 03:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It's interesting to see this post revived 2+ years later, and to see that I posted on this topic in 2011.  Because, darn it, I went down the Taylor rabbit hole again last summer with a Taylor 312.  A few months later I purchased a Larrivee Forum IV, compared the two guitars for a couple weeks, then sold the Taylor.  I chose the Larrivee for the obvious reason that it sounded fuller in the midrange, was louder and more balanced, and honestly it looked a lot cooler.

But why did I buy another Taylor in the first place?  Because it played so nicely.  The neck fits my hand just right and it was nice to have a 14-fret guitar again.  For the second time I found myself very quickly getting bored of the thin, metallic tone of the Taylor, so I sold it for a phenomenal loss.

When will I ever learn?

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 04, 2014, 04:35:35 PM
To me, and this may make me as shallow as a mud puddle, there's an image  problem with Taylor guitars that I just can't get over. They're not bad guitars but I wouldn't want to be seen in public with one.   

I know what you mean.  I'm kind of embarrassed to play my Taylor GA3-12 out instead of one of my Guilds.

I no Longer own a Taylor but when I did the jumbo birdseye maple custom got more oohs and ahs of any guitar I've ever had.