Has anyone tried any p.u.p's recently that they would recommend?

Started by willfo, May 31, 2011, 01:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I know that this is always a frequently asked question , but with how fast technology has been changing and the sheer amount of makers and options out there I was wondering if anyone had tried something they really liked?  I want to use a p.u.p. to reinforce the sound in tandem with a condenser mic'. I like to capture a pure acoustic sound and then use a p.u.p. to experiment with layering effects and to thicken the sound. I also play pretty frequently at venues that are large and loud and not conducive to just running a mic. Right now I have a stock Fishman in a Michael Kelly , but I am looking to purchase a nicer mando with a better tone , and want to get pick out the p.u.p. myself.
     Thanks For Your Time If You Read,
     -w
Larrivee D03RE
Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele
Republic Tricone
various banjo , mandolins, and lap steels

I've been using K&K Pure minis (ex:Pure Western) in several of my guitars and they seem to work very well. You need a preamp of some sort, I use a Sansamp Para Driver DI,  but I'm quite happy with them.   

Another K & K fan here, especially matched with their own pre amp.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

K&K with an XLR preamp by K&K to. Clean and easy, great for someone who should have as few knobs to play with as possible like me.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

I am a puritan snob  :winkin: when it comes to pick-ups in acoustic instruments and have only owned one, or two mando's over the years that had pick-ups in them. Thusly, I can't give you any direct feedback, but I can say a friend of mine whom owns a mandolin shop installs the Pure's more than any other.

I have also heard folks say very good thing's about the McIntyre (sp?) Feather series.

I would highly recommend you take a gander at the mandolin cafe website forums. More info than you'll ever really need there.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Larrivee D03RE
Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele
Republic Tricone
various banjo , mandolins, and lap steels