Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '69 Martin D35  (Read 1162 times)
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2011, 02:51:27 AM »

Yeah, Brazilian.

One of my students loaned me her father's 1969 D35, in really good condition.  I've been playing it a lot this weekend. 
What a sweet sounding boomer!  I gotta get an old Martin (or a new Authentic?).

I think the finish is original, as evidenced by the checking on the top.

There has been some bridge and saddle work done, I think. 
A neck reset seems likely seeing as how easy it plays.  Fretwork too.

The Shallers say "Made in W Germany".  The neck is in really good shape.

Actually, my '07 D18GE already has that type of open sound, but is brighter than the D35,
of course.  The old Martin is so sweet on the ears.  There's nothing like old wood well
put together.

However sweet this guitar is, I like the softer sweetness of my Forum IV better.  But I'm
going to play this beauty until I have to give it back!

Play it daily for best results.
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 11:33:02 AM »

Those were the days. The sound from the 1960's Martins is what I used to compare everything to, until I got my  Larrivee D-09Braz.

The necks on the old Martins were made with a slight bow in them, such that it took about 2 years for them to straighten out. Then at the 7 year mark, you'd need to have the neck put in a press to straighten it out again. But they sounded delightful.

A buddy of mine had a D-35 and I had a D-28. Slightly different sounding, and I couldn't decide which I liked better. Which causes me some confusion from an engineering point of view. One would think the 3 piece back and extra back bracing would deaden the tone. Not so though. The D-35 sounded more mellow and folky, where as my D-28 had more punch.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »

+1 wow, great looking vintage guitar - you should borrow it more so it could get played  

That must be one of the last Braz models - Martin started with Indian RW in 1970 right?

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:46:18 PM »

Of all the Martins that have past thru my hands the 35's have always been my favorites,ok I like the OM21's and a friend had a guitar of the month that was a 3 piece back D18 called the D3-18.It took a year to get it just right but a very fine guitar.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 01:54:31 AM »

What a way to spend a 3 day weekend. I played a 1968 BRW D-35 at Gruhn's two years ago. Well worn and asking price of $3,500 was a little steep for me but a real gem. If I was a hard core flatpicker I would opt for the D-18 or D-28 but I think the D-35 suits my playing style better and has always been my go-to guitar.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: