NGD 1939 Martin C 1

Started by Danny, May 30, 2011, 05:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yup, couldn't resist it. Sunburst finished F hole carved spruce Arch Top. 000 sized (just right for me) Mahogany back and sides, ebony fret board and bridge with a cool metal tailpiece that has Martin stamped into it. Missing the PG and some scatches on it , but in excellent playing shape.

I always wanted a pre-war Martin or Gibby and I also have wanted an archtop. Most arch tops are very large and Martin only made these for a decade or so. A very nice find for me indeed. :nice guitar:

Pics later.

Pics later?????

Pics NOW!

Please...
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on May 30, 2011, 10:45:38 PM
Pics later?????

Pics NOW!

Please...
Here is one on you tube that looks just like it. But mine sounds better than the recording made here.
                             http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAXan6rQb8c

I will post pics of mine soon, I just got it today though. Short scale and an unusual angle of the neck/body due to the Archtop. But I think I'm gonna really enjoy this one.

Congrats Danny everyone should own an archtop.Though not really Martins forta they were well build guitars that had a good tone.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on May 31, 2011, 09:42:19 AM
Congrats Danny everyone should own an archtop.Though not really Martins forta they were well build guitars that had a good tone.
I just cleaned it up a little and tuned it. So I played a little and my wife walked in and commented on how nice it sounded.
               The strings are 20 years old, so I am expecting even more out of it. I need to find /build a PG though.

I have a new Martin 000 archtop case as well. I think this is the original.

Some scratches and finish damage from the PG. A new one should cover it though. I'll slowly work on it's finish, but no problems with the guitars structure at all.

This one sat in the case for the last 20 years. Was still in tune when we pulled it out. Before that a Jazz player gigged with it.

The tuners are original and work very well, the tailpiece was made by Grover as well.

Whooooo-eeee!   That is a mighty fine looking guitar you got there Danny - so you going to be playin' more jazz, eh?

Congrats!!
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: tadol on May 31, 2011, 07:22:48 PM
Whooooo-eeee!   That is a mighty fine looking guitar you got there Danny - so you going to be playin' more jazz, eh?

Congrats!!
If I can get back to a more leisurely schedule I would like to work with my friend who likes to play Swing and he was teaching me the chords involved, which are very similar to Jazz chords.
   I just like to play it. I don't even know anyone with a pre-war Martin. So it has me a little tickled inside to see it on my wall.
   I's like to refinish every thing, But I feel restrained to let it be. After all its 72 years old and still likes to play. :laughin: