Poll
Question: Which would you choose: L-02 or L-03?
L-02
L-03

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which would you choose: L-02 or L-03?  (Read 8730 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2011, 01:12:40 PM »

My L-03 headplate looks like Roger's (except no fancy inlay and gloss finish).  I took some pix this AM - will try to remember to upload them later so folks can take a look.  My L-03 is either 1999 or 2000 vintage.

It also has a little bit of bearclaw in the top which at that time was supposedly an inferior quality of spruce - and now I guess is desirable.

I think the vintage of the model probably matters as to it's content.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2011, 01:27:08 AM »

Here's my 1999/2000 vintage L-03 headplate.  Could be rosewood I guess but I thought I remembered it being ebony.

Definitely wood and not some plastic plate.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
nuncle

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »

Your headstock looks like mine:  dark with brown veins.  Rosewood?  Maybe.  Ebony? Maybe.  Does it matter to me?  Not much.  I've been more than a little delighted by the guitar for six years now, so whatever the headstock cap is made of is perfectly cool.

Ditto on the bearclaw--on my top, the bearclaw markings are quite apparent.  Also cool with me.

Larrivee L-03R,  Recording King RD-03, Simon & Patrck Woodland Pro Folk, Martin OOCXAE, Gib. LP Jr, Gib Melody Maker Special, Fender (mim) 69 Tele Thinline
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 01:04:22 AM »

Here's my 1999/2000 vintage L-03 headplate.  Could be rosewood I guess but I thought I remembered it being ebony.

Definitely wood and not some plastic plate.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That looks like Ebony to me.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2011, 03:47:10 AM »

That definately looks like ebony to me.  Ebony doesn't always look "all black".  Larrivee uses real wood on their headstock overlays as far as I know, and they state as much, so why the doubt in the first place?

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

sgarnett

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2011, 04:54:22 AM »

That definately looks like ebony to me.  Ebony doesn't always look "all black".  Larrivee uses real wood on their headstock overlays as far as I know, and they state as much, so why the doubt in the first place?
Actually, I haven't found any such statement on the website. Larrivee only specifies ebony for the fretboard and bridge.

You are right, ebony does NOT look all black. Even "ebonized" (dyed) ebony shows some grain if the light hits it right, and as far as I know, Larrivee never ebonizes their wood anyway. I have several relatively recent -03s, and there is not a single grain line, color variation, or pore anywhere on the face or edges of the overlay.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 05:26:23 AM »

Actually, I haven't found any such statement on the website. Larrivee only specifies ebony for the fretboard and bridge.

You are right, ebony does NOT look all black. Even "ebonized" (dyed) ebony shows some grain if the light hits it right, and as far as I know, Larrivee never ebonizes their wood anyway. I have several relatively recent -03s, and there is not a single grain line, color variation, or pore anywhere on the face or edges of the overlay.

Hmm.  I stand corrected.  It's true they don't specify the headstock overlay material.  I don't know about the economics of it, but you would think there would be enough "leftover" scraps of rosewood or ebony to use for this purpose.  I can't imagine it would add much more to the total cost of the guitar over some kind of fake wood or plastic or whatever, but I don't know.  It would be interesting to know for sure.  Isn't there someone from Larrivee that could put this to rest?

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2011, 12:09:51 AM »

This has been my experience. My LV-19 is definitely Ebony, but I have my doubts about my 03's.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2011, 02:33:55 AM »

Regarding Larrivee claims - I seem to remember that when I bought mine, it was advertised as Ebony.  Apparently they have changed this up over the years.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: