Yamaha SG 500 B

Started by rikstar, May 21, 2011, 05:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anybody have any thoughts on the SG500B series by Yamaha. I'm not much of an electric player, and have just recently started playing my Yamaha again.
Rick

2009 Larrivee L-10e
1999 Larrivee D-02e
2004 Ovation Elite T
2000 Yamaha SG 500B

"There's only two kinds of music: the blues and zippity-doo-dah."-Townes Van Zandt

You have any pics you can share with us? I'm not sure which model you're talking about.

Overall, Yamaha makes very respectable guitars...I'm not crazy about the tone or the neck shape of their low-end acoustics, but their A/E an electric guitars are nice, and their "Made in Japan" stuff is excellent.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I will post a pic tomorrow. It's a pretty guitar but the "B" apparently designates that it was made in Taiwan. This is what I read online anyway.
Rick

2009 Larrivee L-10e
1999 Larrivee D-02e
2004 Ovation Elite T
2000 Yamaha SG 500B

"There's only two kinds of music: the blues and zippity-doo-dah."-Townes Van Zandt

Quote from: rikstar on May 21, 2011, 10:33:16 PM
I will post a pic tomorrow. It's a pretty guitar but the "B" apparently designates that it was made in Taiwan. This is what I read online anyway.

No need to apologize for anything made it Taiwan ... I suspect it's top shelf. Looking forward to the pics.

Here is the picture. I like the look, but I'm not much of a judge of electrics. I think an upgrade in the tuners and maybe the bridge would be helpful.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Rick

2009 Larrivee L-10e
1999 Larrivee D-02e
2004 Ovation Elite T
2000 Yamaha SG 500B

Basically your getting a double cutaway LP.Yamaha has been building guitars in Tiawan for at least 30 years and they put out a good product.The electronics are good and unless bad I would not recommend changing them.The tuners weren't bad either,but ghanging them is up to you.I had a Yamaha with a carved maple top for a while back in the 80's it was some sort of SG modal just don't remember what modal.The bridge  on it is pretty much standard for the industry.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I wish they'd make some lefties like that - I'd be all over a lefty in that body style.  :nice guitar:

I'd LOVE to have one of those!!! That and the SA2000, Yamaha's take on an ES-355. Nithing wrong with them at all!!!
Larrivee L-05[brGitane' DG-300 & DG-250 ] 2009 Fender RW Telecaster (Barden pickups/bridge)
97 Telecaster Plus
87 Telecaster
01 Warmoth Tele

01 Danelectro Baritone
  DR.Z MAZ 38 SR,
Visual Sound Route 66/H2o[Breedlove 00 Mandolin,Banjo's,

"...never could stand that dog..."Tom Waits

I have an SG-800S...good way to figure out the year is to look on the bottom of the pick-ups...there should be a Japanese lunar calendar date there.
You can go here and see...with the help of translating software...the data on the FGs. I have an SA-2200 as well and an SAS-1500...both beauties...and I love the 800S too...owned another 800 non S and it had lower quality parts...tuners were as goos as the S series and the inlays and binding were different. Own the Pacifica MS-1500 and a USA II strat type too...all top quality models and as good as any MIAs in this city. I had some MIJ Gibson SG types but just can`t get along with them as much as I do the Yamaha versions, they simply suit me better...sold off the Gibson SG types I had and stuck with the Yamaha 800S, I`d love to have an SG-2000 but they`re always priced more than I wanna spend and anyways, I`m pretty well set up for double humbucker guitars.
Just picked up their latest 2011 catalog today...the second this year so far.

i hate yamaha guitars because i really want one and they don't offer lefty models.

Quote from: fritferret on June 09, 2011, 11:13:30 AM
i hate yamaha guitars because i really want one and they don't offer lefty models.

If we`re still talking about electrics, go to page 38 of the 2010/2011 catalog...they have a pic of a lefty Pacifica112JL...you can also see a lefty APX700L on page 22. Thing about Yamaha is...they`ll build anything anybody wants if the customer has the money.

Quote from: sneaky on June 10, 2011, 08:22:51 PM

If we`re still talking about electrics, go to page 38 of the 2010/2011 catalog...they have a pic of a lefty Pacifica112JL...you can also see a lefty APX700L on page 22. Thing about Yamaha is...they`ll build anything anybody wants if the customer has the money.

I still doubt that Yamaha will make one of their double cut guitars for us lefties ... but I'll find out next time I visit Japan (my oldest daughter lives over there - I'm due for another visit over there in around a year). If lefties exist, they'll have them in Japan (there's a lefty guitar shop in Tokyo).

Double cuts or not... l they will build anything anybody wants as long as they get paid for it, thats what a custom shop does...I`ve seen a lefty shop advertise in guitar magazines over here, never really looked carefully since I`m not one...haven`t bought a magazine in some time though so not sure of the name. 

Quote from: sneaky on June 11, 2011, 01:42:59 AM
http://shop.taniguchi-gakki.jp/user_data/english.php

Cool link, but no lefty Yamaha double-cuts like the ones posted here...rats!  :mad:

There aren`t?...I`m not left handed, I did not look through every guitar they have listed...I did think that maybe you could get your daughter to contact them and let her know if and when one comes in since she is here, you know, to increase the chances of finding one instead of hoping you will in the limited time you`ll spend in Japan...sometimes I go months without seeing anything that interests me and I`m right handed, so odds are you won`t find one when you do come here though you could get lucky...I thought it might be advantageous having a link to that shop...but I guess I was wrong...no good deed goes unpunished eh. I`ll remove the link then even though it will remain in your post.
Howz that...better? Good luck.

I'm not complaining - it's still a cool link with lots of cool lefty gear on it.

I just wish both Ibanez and Yamaha would be more lefty friendly...

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 12, 2011, 12:21:38 AM
I'm not complaining - it's still a cool link with lots of cool lefty gear on it.

I just wish both Ibanez and Yamaha would be more lefty friendly...

Take a gander here.......

www.southpawguitars.com