Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advantages/Disadvantages to 12 fret (SD) dread, your thoughts.  (Read 4690 times)
frankhond

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 10:51:16 AM »

I played a ad-50 in a shop - huge, complex tone, wonderful. But the neck was just too wide and activated a pinched nerve thing I kerp fighting in my thumb. If they start to make them with narrower nut width, I'll run to the shop.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »

I played a SD-50 in a shop - huge, complex tone, wonderful. But the neck was just too wide and activated a pinched nerve thing I kerp fighting in my thumb. If they start to make them with narrower nut width, I'll run to the shop.
 It is amazing how the nerves, joints and tendons etc. can mess up our playing. I have only played a few times in the last month or more at an extended period. Too much pain in the fretting hand. I guess I need to try some different neck thicknesses etc. and see if one is better than the other.

Right now the easiest to fret for me is my F-IV since the string change to DR Rare lights, but the thin neck does cause some pain after awhile. It all seems so ironic right now. So many nice guitars and they just sit.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
frankhond

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 10:53:29 PM »

I have a feeling not all hands are suitable for standard guitar technique. Back when I was 18 I discovered that when I play the way I was told by the teachers, my fretting hand would go numb at first, followed by crazy pain in the thumb. Finally I discovered that I have to keep my wrist perfectly straight (classical technique has it slightly bent), which requires careful geometry. Not all guitars seem to fit. I guess it stresses the importance to listen to your body and find your own solutions.

Back to topic... I really wish there were neck width options for Larrivee SDs.
sgarnett

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 02:13:56 PM »

I just measured my SD-03. It is definitely 1 13/16" wide at the nut. The string spacing is 2 5/16" center to center at the saddle (measured perpendicular to the strings at the 1st string, not parallel to the saddle.

Keep in mind that the SD-50/60 has a slot head neck, while the SD-03 has a paddle head. That doesn't inherently mean they have to be different widths, but they are different designs.

Many people have said the SD is designed for medium guage strings, and that is what they ship with. When I ordered mine, I asked to have it set up for lights, and still haven't tried mediums. I do have mediums on another guitar, but generally prefer the nuances of light strings (12-54).

I like the wide, roomy neck, but I do find it more comfortable to play with my thumb on the back of the neck in a classical position, or on the bass side of the neck. Dropping it into the V of the thumb to wrap and grab the 6th string is no problem, though I never got in that habit. I barre instead. The two keys to keeping it comfortable are relaxing the death grip, but not letting the thumb lock open either (just like locking the knees is a bad way to stand). In other words control the thumb position with muscle instead of letting it bend back as far as the joint and ligaments allow. Actually, that helps with narrower necks too.

The extra room is worth it! However, I personally think too much attention is paid to the nut width. It's important, but the saddle spacing is just as important if not more, especially for fingerstyle. I've never encountered anything that felt too wide to play with a pick, but there are plenty of guitars that feel crowded for fingers. 2 5/16" to 2 3/8" is a good range imho.

sgarnett

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 02:17:27 PM »

Btw, keep in mind that most dreads, including Larrivees, are actually a little bigger than the archetype Martins.
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 04:42:12 PM »

The extra room is worth it! However, I personally think too much attention is paid to the nut width. It's important, but the saddle spacing is just as important if not more, especially for fingerstyle. I've never encountered anything that felt too wide to play with a pick, but there are plenty of guitars that feel crowded for fingers. 2 5/16" to 2 3/8" is a good range imho.

+1   +1   +1    The biggest complaint I have with most guitars is the 2-3/16 to 2-1/4 saddle spacing. Its one of the things I most enjoy about my BT-60 - at 2-3/8", it just works for bare finger playing. It's also my only complaint with my LS-03R (GOTM currently!) - the tight saddle spacing.  Of course, if it were just a bit wider, it would be almost the same as the old LSV-11s, except for the cutaway -  whistling

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Frank_S

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 06:12:28 PM »

I do appreciate you all taking the time to post your insight on the subject. It always helps to read firsthand knowledge as well. I haven't decided to pull the trigger on the SD-03 as of yet, still waiting to hear from the dealer on a couple of details.

All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: