Silvertone 1448 Amp in case

Started by ducktrapper, May 20, 2011, 12:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I got my Silvertone 1448 with amp in case back from my guitar tech last night. I couldn't put it down. Cool little guitar and the amp is 2 watts of 2 cool! Anyone want my RS-4? Just kidding! This guitar and amp cost under $70.00 in 1962. I paid $120.00 to get it working again. Here's a pic of one just like it.

Neat-o Frito!!!

:guitar

Best gear deal I ever ran across was a Silvertone head/212 combo - the one where the amp head stores in the back of the speaker cabinet...anyway, it was sitting at this older lady's garage sale. She said her husband (now deceased) used to play his accordion through it in a polka band every weekend. The head and cab's tolex was pretty rough around the edges ... definitely had been hauled around. I plug it in and hit it on top - the reverb made some noise so I knew it "worked". I asked what she wanted for it, and she said, "I don't care...how about $5?

FIVE BUCKS! What a deal!

I later sold it for $75, and wished I would've kept it and refurbed it a little. very cool amps...and it had the original 12" speakers in it, which I think were Jensens.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I want a garage sale story.  The bass player from my high school band had a glorious cream colored '67 Fender Precision bass.  He bought it at a garage sale in about 1980 for $75.

I think there are almost too many e-bay mavens out there now that can actually cruise the garage sales and yard sales for gems.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Here's mine befoe getting cleaned up.

[attachment deleted by admin]

those old 3 tube silvertone amps mic'd are rock machines !  Put a 57 on em and pump em through a PA and look out !!  Just don't get shocked  :thumb

Quote from: quadropuss on July 01, 2011, 11:57:35 PM
those old 3 tube silvertone amps mic'd are rock machines !  Put a 57 on em and pump em through a PA and look out !!  Just don't get shocked  :thumb

That's my intention. 2 screaming watts of madness! It's a weird setup alright. And according to my tech-dude, you can't even switch to a three prong plug. I hope it doesn't kill me.   

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 02, 2011, 08:16:01 AM
That's my intention. 2 screaming watts of madness! It's a weird setup alright. And according to my tech-dude, you can't even switch to a three prong plug. I hope it doesn't kill me.   

Hah! Can't ground it because 'you ARE the ground'!  :tongue:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Yeah I guess the way you do it is install an isolation transformer but I haven't gotten around to ffiguring that out yet :)