I Think It's a Darn Shame.

Started by ducktrapper, May 15, 2011, 04:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 16, 2011, 08:20:43 PM

The Forum guitars were ordered with the pickguards separate.  I suspect the majority of them are still in the case unapplied.
I gave mine away. The tortoise ones that is.

My '91 has the clear pickguard, my Forum 4 has the clear pickguard.  For me, its clear or nothing.  And while we're at it, I would like to see Larrivee go back to the old headstock too, with nothing on it except possibly some of Wendy's inlay work.
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

Quote from: johnny37 on May 16, 2011, 10:34:24 PM
For me, its clear or nothing.  And while we're at it, I would like to see Larrivee go back to the old headstock too, with nothing on it except possibly some of Wendy's inlay work.

I've got a 00-70 with a slothead and a tortis pickguard. That may make you guys mad but I like it.

:thumb
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: Dotneck on May 17, 2011, 10:15:33 AM
I've got a 00-70 with a slothead and a tortis pickguard. That may make you guys mad but I like it.

:thumb

No. I have Larrivées with (2) and without (3) and with clear (1) pick guards but I just think it's a shame that according to the website almost all of them now have pickguards attached. If I had my druthers, I'd have none but I'm not the type to remove the pick guard once the guitar arrives. I'd like them to give us a choice. Heck, put the guard in the case and let us decide.  

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 17, 2011, 11:14:10 AM
No. I have Larrivées with (2) and without (3) and with clear (1) pick guards but I just think it's a shame that according to the website almost all of them now have pickguards attached. If I had my druthers, I'd have none but I'm not the type to remove the pick guard once the guitar arrives. I'd like them to give us a choice. Heck, put the guard in the case and let us decide.  

My feelings exactly!!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 17, 2011, 11:14:10 AM
I know, I wish they would too, but imagine the nightmare they would unleash when those who want 'em actually peeled off the back and stuck 'em on there (incorrectly, of course). They would need a full-time phone bank of customer service folks just to handle the crying customers.

Quote from: Queequeg on May 17, 2011, 12:35:35 PM
I know, I wish they would too, but imagine the nightmare they would unleash when those who want 'em actually peeled off the back and stuck 'em on there (incorrectly, of course). They would need a full-time phone bank of customer service folks just to handle the crying customers.

That occurred to me but then I often give people more credit than they actually deserve. Seriously, I think we could either figure it out or pay someone else who can.

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 17, 2011, 12:44:53 PM
That occurred to me but then I often give people more credit than they actually deserve.
Never underestimate... (you know)

Quote from: leftync on May 16, 2011, 12:15:46 AM
I respect the opinions here, but I think the combination of the Larrivee rosette and the tortis pickguard make a stunningly beautiful guitar. Judge for yourself: http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww289/leftync_photos/Larrivee%20D-50/

I'm sorry, but a mosaic rosette with a tortis pg is just wrong.  Just plain wrong...

Quote from: jimmy buffett on May 18, 2011, 03:06:32 PM
I'm sorry, but a mosaic rosette with a tortis pg is just wrong.  Just plain wrong...

Obviously we have two distinct opposing points of view. From a marketing point of view I wonder:

-   # in each camp

-   Common characteristics of each camp eg. age, gender nationality somethng else

Just wondering :arrow
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

:thumb. I wonder if the Forum could set up a poll so we could vote ; clear pickguard vs tortoise pickguard. This may be useful marketing info for Larrivee as well.
Rick

2009 Larrivee L-10e
1999 Larrivee D-02e
2004 Ovation Elite T
2000 Yamaha SG 500B

"There's only two kinds of music: the blues and zippity-doo-dah."-Townes Van Zandt

I vote clear on any guitar but especially on a Larrivee.  To me, it's a distinction and represents (or still should represent) a traditional characteristic of Larrivee guitars.  I agree with duck and others who wonder why one would cover up the beautiful grain of the top when there exists an option of providing protection while at the same time letting the grain show through.

Someone mentioned that the older clear guards are probematic.  My L-07 is 29 years old and it's clear pickguard is in perfect condition.  Still flat and attached all around.

On a bit of a side note, I'm wondering how these clear guards can be attached so well, and at the same time, be more or less invisible and let the wood show through so well.  One would think the adhesive would cause some kind of cloudiness or something.  I'm talking about the older ones like mine.  Are they self-adhesive like the modern ones or was some kind of glue used??
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

When I bought my first Larrivee in 93 or 94, part of what caught my eye was the beautiful top with its mosaic rosette, clear pickguard, and rosewood binding. Since then, I have also aquired a taste for the abalone rosette.

I've never cared for the Martin look, though I have several. That's not a knock against Martin per se. I just don't see them as an aesthetic benchmark to be copied by everyone else.

Frankly, I think my SD-03 is kind of ugly in spite of its pretty wood. It plays nice though.

My 1999 clear pickguard is in perfect condition as well.
I may have my tortoise pickguard removed, but I do worry about messing up the finish underneath. I think I'll let a professional do it.
Rick

2009 Larrivee L-10e
1999 Larrivee D-02e
2004 Ovation Elite T
2000 Yamaha SG 500B

"There's only two kinds of music: the blues and zippity-doo-dah."-Townes Van Zandt

Quote from: Queequeg on May 17, 2011, 12:35:35 PM

Thats why there are guys like me,so it gets done right and not expensive to do either.Hey might might do it for free just because I like,scatch that I love the product so much. :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help