I Think It's a Darn Shame.

Started by ducktrapper, May 15, 2011, 04:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

That looking at the website, only the LSVs actually look like Larrivées. Damn you Americans and your ridiculous need for a thick, dark, plastic wood hider!  :mad:   :yak:   :whistling:   :wink:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Are you referring to the loss of the clear pick guard. I do like the clear ones much better. I'm glad my D02 has a clear guard. I have gathered, however, that they don't hold up very well over years. Is that why Larrivee got away from them?

Rick
Rick

2009 Larrivee L-10e
1999 Larrivee D-02e
2004 Ovation Elite T
2000 Yamaha SG 500B

"There's only two kinds of music: the blues and zippity-doo-dah."-Townes Van Zandt

Quote from: rikstar on May 15, 2011, 04:50:38 PM
Are you referring to the loss of the clear pick guard. I do like the clear ones much better. I'm glad my D02 has a clear guard. I have gathered, however, that they don't hold up very well over years. Is that why Larrivee got away from them?

Rick

Of the guitars above, the one on the left which belongs to my friend and musical partner, a '77, has the clear plastic p.g. that needs to come off but he's reluctant or afraid to do it. Mine on the right, a '75, has no pick guard at all (and death to anyone who comes near it with a pick). These guitars look like Larrivées. IMHO.
They gradually just acquiesced to the strange need some people have for wood covering, as far as I can tell. It was gradual but I think it was a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" kind of thing. At one time, there was a choice but now it seems they all have a regular pickguard except the LSVs. I can understand that it makes no sense to hurt sales but still ... it's a shame.  

My Larrivee's a 2008 -- what's the risk I run if I remove the pickguard now?  The guitar's seen direct sunlight for maybe 3 hours total in it's lifetime.  I like the look of a "naked" top, but not an uneven tan . . .
". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

The uneven tan will be gone within a year thus no risk outside of one year. Me too I cherish the bare look :ohmy:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Just might give it a try!  BTW, the mosaic rosettes from the earlier Larrivee's are truly gorgeous!  Nice guitars!!
". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

No doubt. The faux tortoise pickguards should go. I can't imagine sales would be hurt by going back to clear... but then again what do I know... :whistling:
Yes, those are indeed a pair of very  :nice guitar: 's

Rick
Rick

2009 Larrivee L-10e
1999 Larrivee D-02e
2004 Ovation Elite T
2000 Yamaha SG 500B

"There's only two kinds of music: the blues and zippity-doo-dah."-Townes Van Zandt

Maybe you saw THIS in our FAQ Section if you are going to remove
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I have removed tortoise shell pickguards from two of my Larrivees. One was a sunburst. Pay all that money for sunburst just to cover it up? No way.
I'm waiting for the tan line of the other one to fade away, but it's only been about 3 months and most of that was inside the case. The tan line is preferrable to the pick guard, as far as I'm concerned.

Reminds me, I haven't peeled the pickguard off the baritone yet...

ducktrapper, does your BT-03 have a tortoise guard?  BTW, I've tried a set of John Pearse F tuning baritone srtrings, .015 - .062.  They've been on for a day so far.  Time to put a few hours of playing on them now.

Non of my Larrivee's have guards on them,not even the clear kind.Since I no longer allow...wait thats not true,since everyone feels my string guage 14-58 I don't have to worry about my tops even when I use a pick.As a basic R+B player I very rarely strum past the high E as by much.I do play with my fingers both fingerstye and strumming,if I cause any damage it would be because of tendency to do flamico type strums and my finger hits the top mostly on the side of the high E around the 17,18 and 19 frets.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Gotta admit................love that clearguard on mine.........not just the Americans fault though...those Darn Canadians are using them now too...........................btw .....baritone Larrivees..thick guage strings..sounds interesting :beer
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Clear PG's 0n my Larrivees. Never cared for the others, Grevan included. I like the Larrivee LS and LSV look.

:+1: Wow, stunning guitars, I want one...
I know what I'll do with that loose skin.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I recall reading on one of those Wayback Larrivee Websites, and I think it's been posted here, that Larrivee attributed its lack of success entering the bluegrass market in the early to mid-90s with the lack of a visible pickguard (and presumably the iconic Martin look, which Larrivee does very nicely today). I own one of those 90s guitars, and friends and forum members who've heard it say it's the best dread the company ever made. High-priced at the time, too. Fortunately, I got it used. Nonetheless I removed the clear pickguard and replaced it w/ a tortis I got from Larrivee's site; did it with an older parlor as well. I respect the opinions here, but I think the combination of the Larrivee rosette and the tortis pickguard make a stunningly beautiful guitar. Judge for yourself: http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww289/leftync_photos/Larrivee%20D-50/

Clear for me too. Well, none. The traditional ones look old fashioned to me, though they suit the dreds. They effect the sound as well.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: leftync on May 16, 2011, 12:15:46 AM
I recall reading on one of those Wayback Larrivee Websites, and I think it's been posted here, that Larrivee attributed its lack of success entering the bluegrass market in the early to mid-90s with the lack of a visible pickguard (and presumably the iconic Martin look, which Larrivee does very nicely today). I own one of those 90s guitars, and friends and forum members who've heard it say it's the best dread the company ever made. High-priced at the time, too. Fortunately, I got it used. Nonetheless I removed the clear pickguard and replaced it w/ a tortis I got from Larrivee's site; did it with an older parlor as well. I respect the opinions here, but I think the combination of the Larrivee rosette and the tortis pickguard make a stunningly beautiful guitar. Judge for yourself: http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww289/leftync_photos/Larrivee%20D-50/

How do you like your Martin camping guitar? I've thought about getting one for traveling. How does it play ... action, etc...

Rick
Rick

2009 Larrivee L-10e
1999 Larrivee D-02e
2004 Ovation Elite T
2000 Yamaha SG 500B

My L-09 has a non-original tortoise pickguard.  Can, in just the right light, see a line where the original clear one was.  I just don't dare peel off the pickguard as there's 20 years of tan on the top and I can't see it being anything like that underneath  :rolleye:   ...and if i take it off I can't just stick one of the same type back on as I've no idea what sort it is   :doh

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa

Quote from: rikstar on May 16, 2011, 12:52:03 PM
How do you like your Martin camping guitar? I've thought about getting one for traveling. How does it play ... action, etc...

Rick

Didn't like it too much, or use it too much. Sold it to a kid in Boston a while back. Same reason I haven't bonded with the parlor; I just don't seem to like small guitars. I'll sell the parlor, too, if I'm offered enough money.
But don't get me wrong, the Larrivee parlor and the Martin Backpacker are two completely different levels of guitar and quality. No comparison; the parlor is a real guitar, and a very good one.

I refuse to buy a Larrivee with the nasty Martin-look pickguard myself.  I might take a risk on a brand new one and pull the PG off right away before the top tans too badly.

The Forum guitars were ordered with the pickguards separate.  I suspect the majority of them are still in the case unapplied.