Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold Tone mandolins  (Read 581 times)
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2011, 05:20:30 AM »

While looking around at mandolins I ran across this. A Gold Tone GM-6. It's a six string mando/guitar. Mandolin body strung and tuned like a guitar one octave higher. For those who are learning challenged,,,it plays just like a guitar. Anyone here have comments?

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
stubby

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:49:13 PM »

I've got one of those. It's a novelty instument at best, and disappointing from both a guitarist's and a mandolinist's perspective. Do yourself a favor and get a real mandolin. The rewards will be far greater.
If you want to get a sense of tone and playability, just capo a guitar on the twelfth fret. Pretty cramped, right? This is how the GM-6 feels to me. Just not enough room between frets. Playing is pretty much limited to first position chords. It works sorta kinda OK on fiddle tunes, but has nowhere near the expressiveness, authority, and tonal pallette of a mandolin.

I suppose the GM-6 has a bit of an "instant gratification" factor, for those who already play guitar. But if you already play guitar, there's not a huge learning curve with a mandolin. The circle of fiths tuning (GDAE) is actually much more intuitive than standard guitar tuning. One caution, though - mandolins are highly addictive.
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:20:25 AM »

Well I have a GM 6 and actually really like it.  Happy with the sound and like the different voice it has.  It is not a mando for sure but will cut through like one in a group.

Steve ....aka the SMan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: