Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Value of Guild D-25 NT?  (Read 10173 times)
dfinnman

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:37:37 PM »

Hi,

I am looking to sell a Guild D-25 NT (this is a model with natural spruce top and mahogany back and sides).  It is a USA-made guitar, made in Westerly, R.I. I bought this guitar new back in the early 1980's and it is in great/nearly new condition (went through a long period of not playing so it was just sitting in it's case).

Anyway, I've done a little research on eBay but was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate of what this guitar is worth?

Thanks
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 01:52:59 AM »

Unfortunitly $500 to $700.Great guitar.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
dfinnman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 03:38:06 AM »

Unfortunitly $500 to $700.Great guitar.

No problem - it is what it is, thanks!

Doug
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:05:13 AM »

I'm with unclerob.  I'd have said $550-700 but same ballpark.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 05:38:50 AM »

Certainly not worth selling - Guild guitars are some of the best in the business, and have always been.
They seem to have lived in the shadow of "the other 2" for reasons I can't explain.
I guess it boils down to different marketing strategy over decades.
Doug, I say if you can afford not to sell it, don't.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
dfinnman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 04:27:08 PM »

Certainly not worth selling - Guild guitars are some of the best in the business, and have always been.
They seem to have lived in the shadow of "the other 2" for reasons I can't explain.
I guess it boils down to different marketing strategy over decades.
Doug, I say if you can afford not to sell it, don't.

Zohn,

You make a good point, and gives me reason to re-think selling it.  I do not dislike the guitar at all, I was just thinking I may not play it much since I just got a Larrivee Lv-05E (which is an unbelievable guitar).  On the other hand, this Guild still looks like new and is a USA-made one.  I don't think I could replace it with another USA-made Guild for under $2k.  Decisions....

rikstar

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »

where are newer Guilds made? Just curious...

Rick

2009 Larrivee L-10e
1999 Larrivee D-02e
2004 Ovation Elite T
2000 Yamaha SG 500B

"There’s only two kinds of music: the blues and zippity-doo-dah.”-Townes Van Zandt
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »

Depending on the model USA or Asia as I know it

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 07:42:05 PM »

I believe Fender bought Ovation and the USA modals are being made in Conn. now and most if not Ovation are now being made as they say oversea's.Guilds made oversea's have a GAD before the modal number.I have a GAD Guild living at my home so my friemd doesn'thave to tote a guitar around,Its a flatback version of the older pressed/lamenated archback of the USA JF30.Nice guitar that sounds so much better...wait for me too hide....OK.....Gibson J200.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 01:55:31 AM »

Guilds are built either in China or in the old Ovation plant in New Hartford, CT.  Most are made in China and are designated GAD-### for "Guild Design Series", the USA made ones have regular model numbers.

After Fender bought guild they closed the RI plant and moved production to the Fender plant in California.  Those Guilds have a pretty bad reputation for workmanship, they then moved to Tacoma WA after Fender bought out Tacoma guitars.  After Fender bought out Kaman music they moved production to CT and killed off the Tacoma brand.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 04:37:44 AM »

Guilds are built either in China or in the old Ovation plant in New Hartford, CT.  Most are made in China and are designated GAD-### for "Guild Design Series", the USA made ones have regular model numbers.

After Fender bought guild they closed the RI plant and moved production to the Fender plant in California.  Those Guilds have a pretty bad reputation for workmanship, they then moved to Tacoma WA after Fender bought out Tacoma guitars.  After Fender bought out Kaman music they moved production to CT and killed off the Tacoma brand.
  Fender just never has been able to make a really high quality acoustic. I have a 1970 Fender Dreadnought/Jumbo that sounds very nice to me and is all solid woods etc. But it is Fender in Logo alone. It was made by Harmony in Chicago. (A Sovereign)

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 06:15:16 AM »

My 2010 "Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide" valued The 1980-89 D-25 in excellent condition from $625.00 to $775.00.  Don't know if the price would be the same in the 2011 edition.  Hope this helps.

Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

acousticphd

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »

I don't think I could replace it with another USA-made Guild for under $2k

I think the truth of the matter is that you could replace it with another 80s-90s D-25 for ~$500 just about any week, on ebay.  I can say with a fair amount of confidence that 80s-90s D-25's do not sell for $700 anytime recently on ebay, as any kind of general rule.  A guitar store may well put a "Price Guide"-level price on a used Guild, I agree - after they offer you $400 for it.  You would definitely be in a better position to get a good price as a buyer, vs. a seller. 

I've had several Guilds, and wished I still had a DV6 I let go for $400 some years back.  I and have found Guilds to be good deals to pick up, and harder to make my money back selling - the D25 is still a classic guitar and there will always be a market for the USA-made guitars.  I would think about keeping it, unless you feel the $400-$500 now helps you in some important way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: