Recommend Some Good, Clean Films

Started by Caleb, May 03, 2011, 12:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: CZERO9RW on March 07, 2012, 09:47:27 AM
Both my Mom & Dad loved big band and musical theater, so I was exposed to the following quite extensively as a kid. I think it's probably one of the best influences they had ever brought into my life.

Some of the films I thoroughly enjoyed as a kid, and still do!

The Music Man
Oklahoma
Guys & Dolls
Showboat
Sound of Music
West Side Story
My Fair Lady (Audrey Hepburn stole my heart!)

etc. etc....

And, of course, the Disney Classics

Mary Poppins
Lady & The Tramp
Aladdin
Jungle Book

Huge list!

It's a great way to expose your kids to a classic type of music in which, even if they don't love it, they will have that listening experience with which to compare to others they experience in their lives.

Great list. Sound of Music is a fave at our house.

Quote from: the creature on March 07, 2012, 11:17:41 AM
Utopia, like in the book you gave me?
that's the lil' place in the hill country.

Heaven Knows Mr Allison
The Shootist
Disorganized Crime
African Queen

Quote from: Walkerman on March 07, 2012, 02:37:59 PM
Heaven Knows Mr Allison
The Shootist
Disorganized Crime
African Queen
We enjoyed the restored version of African Queen recently.

If you like baseball, kids, dogs and good clean fun, watch "The Sandlot"  Not part 2, but the original.  Great for adults AND kids.

Watched Awakenings over the weekend.
In this stirring fact-based drama set in 1969, a reclusive neurologist is given authorization to test an experimental drug on a catatonic patient -- who awakens from his 30-year stupor and must come to grips with life as an adult.

Cast:Robert De Niro, Robin Williams, Julie Kavner, Ruth Nelson, John Heard, Penelope Ann Miller, Max von Sydow, Alice Drummond, Judith Malina, Barton Heyman Director:Penny Marshall Genres:Dramas, Dramas based on real life.
:thumb

Quote from: the creature on March 04, 2012, 10:32:06 AM
Watched "Courageous" yesterday.  Twice.  Great film.   Anyone else seen it?  
My wife and I also saw this movie ('Courageous'), for the first time, this past weekend.

Very moving and a strong, wholesome message.

I would recommend it.

I also highly recommend the animated movies 'UP' and 'Wall E'.   :thumbsup
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

Quote from: Queequeg on March 14, 2012, 03:13:02 PM
Watched Awakenings over the weekend.
In this stirring fact-based drama set in 1969, a reclusive neurologist is given authorization to test an experimental drug on a catatonic patient -- who awakens from his 30-year stupor and must come to grips with life as an adult.

Cast:Robert De Niro, Robin Williams, Julie Kavner, Ruth Nelson, John Heard, Penelope Ann Miller, Max von Sydow, Alice Drummond, Judith Malina, Barton Heyman Director:Penny Marshall Genres:Dramas, Dramas based on real life.
:thumb

I saw this when it came out and remember enjoying it immensely!

Quote from: GA-ME on March 14, 2012, 08:11:18 PM
I saw this when it came out and remember enjoying it immensely!

If you enjoyed the movie, then I recommend reading Oliver Sacks' books; one of which this movie is based upon.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on March 14, 2012, 11:10:43 PM
If you enjoyed the movie, then I recommend reading Oliver Sacks' books; one of which this movie is based upon.

Thanks!! I do believe, I'll investagate.

This may be slightly off-topic, but I saw Chico & Rita last night here in town at our local theater (not the cinemaplex). This is an animated film that takes place in Havana and NYC mostly. Two musicians who fall in love.
I said off-topic because although it is animated there is a love scene in it that would preclude it from falling gracefully into the "Recommend Some Good, Clean Films" category specifically. But the artwork is stunning, especially cityscapes of Havana and New York, which are gorgeous. and the music is the best (Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Tito Puente plus a bunch of Cuban musicians). I know I enjoyed this so much, in part because I recently returned from Havana, but this is one very special animated film, especially for music lovers.

The band

Havana

NYC at night

New York Central Park

Diz

Hotel Nacional (where we stayed in December)