Electric Question

Started by SongMan, December 01, 2004, 12:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteI think solid bodied guitars are the most versatile. The biggest choice is between a Strat style and Les Paul Style guitar. Strats have long scale, three single coils and a tremelo. LP styles are short scale, dual humbucker with a stop tailpiece. Many variations of each.

I've always preferred the thicker tone of humbuckers and the playability of LP stle guitars. YMMV.

If you are interested I have a made in USA Hamer that I've been considering selling. This will fill the bill quite nicely!

http://home.neo.rr.com/vatalzone/Hamer/
Does this guitar have tremolo?
No trem on the Hamer. Did you click on the link? Youcan see it.

gary
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

QuoteHow do you guys like Ernie Ball Music Man super sport axis? oh and Les Paul Studio?
If you're looking at Les Pauls, check out this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3766506649&rd=1

Much better, IMHO, than anything Gibson is making.  Heritage guitars are made in Gibson's old Kalamazoo factory.
I agree, Heritage guitars are amazing deals if you are looking for a Gibson style axe.  That being said, I personally would opt for a re-issue Fender Strat and the Japanese do a great job of nailing the old style pre-CBS legends;-)

This looks like a nice 1957 MIJ Strat:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW
Is this a good Price?

and how does strata different from Telecast???

QuoteI think solid bodied guitars are the most versatile. The biggest choice is between a Strat style and Les Paul Style guitar. Strats have long scale, three single coils and a tremelo. LP styles are short scale, dual humbucker with a stop tailpiece. Many variations of each.

I've always preferred the thicker tone of humbuckers and the playability of LP stle guitars. YMMV.

If you are interested I have a made in USA Hamer that I've been considering selling. This will fill the bill quite nicely!

http://home.neo.rr.com/vatalzone/Hamer/
Does this guitar have tremolo?
No trem on the Hamer. Did you click on the link? Youcan see it.

gary
I did click on it. It's just that Iam very new to elec and have trouble identifying. :D  

David please take this one piece of advice....GO FORTH AND PLAY a bunch of stuff.Bring a little pad and pencil with you.Try everything in site.Make notes on each guitar you've play and what YOUR thoughts are on it.Plug it into and amp.Do the homework its well well worth it and you'll as I tell my son have fun. B)  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I would say if your going to buy one electric make it a stratocaster. You cant go wrong in any situation with a strat I dont think. Your best deal would be to get a MIM Standard and replace the pickups with Fender Custom pickups or something of the like. I put Texas Specials in mine and it sounds great. Also check out the Classic series from fender and maybe look into the G&L Strat type guitars. They seem to be realy nice and a good bang for the buck.
2011 Larrivee D-03R JCL
2011 Fender American Stratocaster

Rob,
Thanks and I will. But, it's hard to find a dealer who carries many of the model I am asking for. I am really interested in MIJ tele and Start, yet, I think they are hard t get hold of.

Do you order or get any strat MIJ?

Thanks, David

QuoteI would say if your going to buy one electric make it a stratocaster. You cant go wrong in any situation with a strat I dont think. Your best deal would be to get a MIM Standard and replace the pickups with Fender Custom pickups or something of the like. I put Texas Specials in mine and it sounds great. Also check out the Classic series from fender and maybe look into the G&L Strat type guitars. They seem to be realy nice and a good bang for the buck.
Brad,
What model of Strat is yours?  

We can't order the MIJ Fenders but I buy them all the time.One of my customer Has bought from on guy on ebay that is from Japan and he sells all the modals.He starts out pretty close to retail.More importantly is that you go to as many store's as you can and play everything.You might not like the feel of a Fender,you could love it same with all the others.You not that far from San Fran,I don't believe I'm going to say this,but check out Guitar center.Mostly what your doing at this point is getting know whats out there.If you find at journeys end a type that you like then you look for the best deal.There are some really good shops in San Fran.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

SongMan,

It just the MIM Standard you can get for like $350 anywhere. I replaced the pickups and oh man is it sweet. The Mexico factory dose an awsome job with there guitars. You should see it. Iv got a link to the factory tour. They are not the sub-par crap they used to be. One sec and Ill find that link........
2011 Larrivee D-03R JCL

2011 Larrivee D-03R JCL

Don't forget resale value.  If you ever have to sell you electric, you will want to recoup as much money as you can.  Japanese re-issue Strats have always retained their value, especially if you buy it used and take care of it;-) :ph34r:

Another option is build your own.  That's what I am in the process of doing right now.  I've located and bought a Japanese re-issue three color sunburst Strat body.  I will locate the neck, hardware, and electronics next!
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Wow, your not playing around are you. Thats a great guitar and I hear great things about the S-1 system. I think you will be more then pleased with that bad boy.  
2011 Larrivee D-03R JCL

QuoteWow, your not playing around are you. Thats a great guitar and I hear great things about the S-1 system. I think you will be more then pleased with that bad boy.
From strictly reading bunch of sites and forums, i figure this guitar looks nice and most likely hold it's value if decide to sell for another.

btw, I don't think I will get the delux, which means no S-1 system.

QuoteWow, your not playing around are you. Thats a great guitar and I hear great things about the S-1 system. I think you will be more then pleased with that bad boy.
ALso,
YOu know who sells one of these for good price? Buffalo Bros got one, you know if their elec price is as good as their acoustic?

Cant comment on Buffalo Bros. electric prices. Never delt with them. I use MF as a base price. They are usualy never poorly priced, but they are not always the best either. If BB quotes you a price cheaper then MF I would say its probably pretty good. They are a dealer with a good rep anyway.  You will love the Strat Im sure. You may want to check with Dave or one of the other dealers that have G&L Guitars. These are great guitars. Just wanted to throw that out there one more time.  
2011 Larrivee D-03R JCL

SongMan,

You can't go wrong with either anniversary model - I got the AmDel and it smokes. Make a decision and act fast, before they're both gone.
Mike
OM-03R

QuoteSongMan,

You can't go wrong with either anniversary model - I got the AmDel and it smokes. Make a decision and act fast, before they're both gone.
Have any idea what 50th anniversary is consistant when it comes to quality? I mean are they consistant as Larrivee in acoutic world? I'm asking only because of possible mail order. Thanks

personaly I wouldnt worry about that too much. Just get a good dealer that will let you return it if you not 100% happy with it. But Ill say I think they are pretty consistant and consistantly good at that. Thats my take on it.  
2011 Larrivee D-03R JCL

If you aren't opposed to buying a Chinese replica, then in my opinion, the best bang for the buck are SX guitars.

These guitars have much better shielding than the Made in Mexico fenders (which I own) or Squiers.

I have one of their bass guitars that I picked up for $119.  And several that have played it have guess at the price being about 5 times that amount.  The fit and finish on this bass was superb - much better than my MIM Fender Fat Strat.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaysmith/

Here is a dude that has taken pictures of all of his SX guitars, with the innards exposed, so you can see the shielding.  He has lots of MP3s posted playing through these guitars.  In a personal e-mail he sent me, he said he basically gave up his expensive Fenders long ago in lieu of these.  Now he says he can choose which Strat he plays based on the color of the outfit that he is wearing.  he has swapped out pickups in some of them for more tone shaping, but let his sound be the guide.  Make sure you listen to his mp3 files, he is a country rock picker extraordinaire that functions as a one-man band down in Port Charlotte FL.

Besides, if you are only spending a hundred bucks or so, if you don't like it, you can unload it on e-bay for about 60% of what you paid for it.  The basses regularly go for this on e-bay; about 60% of original purchase price.  That's a $40-50 trial, that you won't likely take them up on it.

Over at www.talkbass.com, there is a huge megathread (about 128 pages right now) of testimonials for this line of instruments.  It's called the Essex bass megathread.

And if you don't have an amp, buy a Behringer V-amp 2 for $99

You can hear mine in the song list I have posted in my signature.  It's my MIM Fender Fat Strat going into the V-amp 2, into my soundcard.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud