Goin' down the wrong road.....

Started by abalone at last, April 26, 2011, 10:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: killerteddybear on May 26, 2011, 09:46:24 AM
I just checked the scale length on the RS guitars (I love 25.5"). Now I have to go find one...

The scale length and the vintage (low) output humbuckers make the RS4 a very versatile guitar...back off the bridge volume to around "8", with tone all the way up, hit the stompbox, and you can play the Layla intro all day long! Then switch over to the neck pickup full up to "10" and go for the high part! (Just remember: Eric plays a Strat, but with a blocked trem and a mid-boost built in - not a particularly "stock" Strat arrangement!)

To get closer to LP tones, just keep the volume turned all the way up and back off the tone controls to "6" or so (especially on the bridge). You're there.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Rev so you know that strat on those recordings didn't have the mid boast thing.I believe the pickups were out of one of the 5 50's strats that made up "Blackie".
That the cosmo's that Matthew spent the time learning what a good humbucker should sound like and then improved on them some how because the one's that I've played didn't get muddy in the mid freq when cranked.Also his understanding that  a pu doesn't need to put out 12-14 ohms when 6 1/2 to 7 does great.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on May 26, 2011, 11:39:40 AM
Rev so you know that strat on those recordings didn't have the mid boast thing.I believe the pickups were out of one of the 5 50's strats that made up "Blackie".
That the cosmo's that Matthew spent the time learning what a good humbucker should sound like and then improved on them some how because the one's that I've played didn't get muddy in the mid freq when cranked.Also his understanding that  a pu doesn't need to put out 12-14 ohms when 6 1/2 to 7 does great.

Yeah, I know; most of the recordings were done with "vintage" Strats ... but in concert now (I saw him about 2 years ago), he plays his signature models, or he also plays an MIM that his kids gave him for Christmas one year (although who knows what kinds of mods he's had done to that one to make it "work" for him). And I've noticed in concert that he plays a LOT on the middle pickup.

And you're right - Matthew understands how to voice the pickups so that they sound great - clean or driven - in terms of output (along with all the other factors).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Holy Fender!!  :beer
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

The only disappointing thing to me about the telelarry is the rumor that it will have the 3 piece tail.  Here's hoping that they at least put the compensating saddles on those or it's off to G&L land for me to look for a better than fender Tele when I finally do pull that trigger.

I know there's a few strong voices here pushing for the 3 piece, but that seems ill-advised to me. 

G&L wasn't convinced the 3 piece was key to the tone of Tele when they improved on it:
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/index.asp

Just looked and there are several ASAT Classic Bluesboy models (basically an improved upon 72 Tele Thinline from what I can gather) that didn't sell with $750 BIN!

Boom, that decision is made if again, I ever pull that Thinline trigger (which I realize is probably the least 'tele' of the tele line).

Arlo West proves that it surely isn't the wood that is the magic when it comes to all-out Tele tone.  If you don't know who Arlo West is, just google his name and then come back and thank me after you've enjoyed his tunes and his demonstrations of all kinds of parts-casters, 3 piece and other bridges, pine bodies, etc.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Okay....all this talk about the new guitar is kind of anti-climaxing....as Joyce and others read the writing on the wall and called this months ago...That and the fact that it is similar to the Seymour Duncan Tribute guitar made by Larrivee. The thing alot of people don't get is......and this is for the crowd that is groaning about a Fender copy.....People say look at G&L...they did it too.......but G&L was Leo Fender therefore giving them instant credentials. The other point I'd like to make is for those who are arguing that Fender doesn't make a good Tele guitar anymore. I have three words for you......American Vintage Reissue....... :coffee :donut
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

:humour:

ASAT=another stupid a** tele.

Thats the way I heard and I'm stickin too it as its such a great statement  suppossitaly uttered by Mr. Fender himself.

By the way I like the ASAT's
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Play what you love. Love what you play. 

".....American Vintage Reissue...."

Truth be told, I'd rather have a SD 35.  If I can't have that, I'd rather have a Bakersfield.  If I can't have that, I'd rather have a G&L.
If I can't have that, I'd rather have a Gibby SG.  Anything but a Fender.

Quote from: Walkerman on June 28, 2011, 06:07:28 PM
".....American Vintage Reissue...."

Truth be told, I'd rather have a SD 35.  If I can't have that, I'd rather have a Bakersfield.  If I can't have that, I'd rather have a G&L.
If I can't have that, I'd rather have a Gibby SG.  Anything but a Fender.

:thumb

An SD 35 is what I want also, however a Bakersfield will be probably a more available option.

Mike
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

Quote from: Cybercanyon on June 28, 2011, 07:18:53 PM

An SD 35 is what I want also, however a Bakersfield will be probably a more available option.

Mike

Just by lookin at the specs NOT ME, what is it about the SD 35 that you guys see that would trump the Bakersfield  :? Maybe from a collector point of view sure as limited to 35, but if you are a chasin the Broadcaster twang my money is on Matt LARRIVEE & the Bakersfield
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on June 28, 2011, 07:28:51 PM
Just by lookin at the specs NOT ME, what is it about the SD 35 that you guys see that would trump the Bakersfield  :? Maybe from a collector point of view sure as limited to 35, but if you are a chasin the Broadcaster twang my money is on Matt LARRIVEE & the Bakersfield

You'd have to have held one of the SD 35's to understand.  Once you've had one in your hands....you just don't want to let go.  Besides, the pups are all easily interchangeable with the new SD system, so you can pretty much get whatever sound you want.

Quote from: Walkerman on June 29, 2011, 07:56:24 AM
You'd have to have held one of the SD 35's to understand.  Once you've had one in your hands....you just don't want to let go.  Besides, the pups are all easily interchangeable with the new SD system, so you can pretty much get whatever sound you want.

I'm sure they feel superb BUT the bridge is crucial more so in a Tele Style than most.  :drool: And the CALLAHAM BRIDGE is a strong factor in weighing me in on the side of the Bakersfield
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on June 29, 2011, 08:33:55 AM
I'm sure they feel superb BUT the bridge is crucial more so in a Tele Style than most.  :drool: And the CALLAHAM BRIDGE is a strong factor in weighing me in on the side of the Bakersfield

OK, OK....let me amend my statement......

I want an SD 35 AND a Bakersfield....... :roll

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on June 29, 2011, 08:33:55 AM

I agree.  I want the Bakersfield and could afford it more easily over the SD35.  I can't wait to get my hands on one.   :drool:
Both the Bakersfield and the SD35 have similarities, however they are different animals.

Of course if I had a choice I would take both.    :bgrin:

Mike
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

I think the Bakersfield will be about the same price as Fender Custom Shop models.....with the edge in build quality going to Larrivee. Fender does have a huge variety of lower price teles...many of which are pretty nice guitars.. ..
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric