Goin' down the wrong road.....

Started by abalone at last, April 26, 2011, 10:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do people actually believe that Larrivee is going to build a guitar with a bolt on neck and a 3-bar bridge  :? The fact that they are thinking about building a tele is not exciting news. I would have rather seen a double-cut with a set neck in the spirit of Paul Reed Smith guitars that made Santana famous. Taylor practically reinvented the electric guitar so I can't see Jean rehashing Leo's old faithful. The RS-2 and RS-4 are great but I don't think it will be three times a charm with this one. With the tune-amatic  bridge and humbuckers on a tele you could call it Frankenstein. Hopefully there will be some original ideas when the finished product comes out. BTW before anyone goes off on the Taylor comment take a look at their neck,bridge ,and pickup design. No offence to forum members who are on this bandwagon but I would like to see Larrivee continue to build electric guitars worthy of their status as a high end guitar manufacturer.......
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Please don't take this the wrong way - I mean this in all seriousness: Telecasters will continue to be one of the biggest selling guitars while Taylor electrics will always have a small, fairly insignificant following. While the Taylor may have some nice hardware (and I agree - I like the design of their bridge), I found their tone to be so-so ...

The Tele may be a 50 year old design, but it's been around that long (and copied for almost that long) because it works well for many styles of music (ironically, you have a very old Tele listed in your gear!). The Taylors are very nicely made guitars - just as nice as the Larrivee RS-4 - but I just didn't find the tone to be all that inspiring. And they're not cheap, which, again, will keep them out of many hands and off of many stages. I'm sure the same will also be true of the RS-4; it's a great guitar, but some folks won't try it because it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock. That will also be true of this new "Tele".

But it looks like Larrivee is selling enough electrics to continue building them, and also to expand the line by adding this new model. So they believe it's going to be worth their investment of time and resources. I know I plan to own one ASAP. I'd rather have a Larrivee than either a Fender or Gibson because of my previous experiences with all three companies. I know that Larrivee makes top notch stuff for reasonable (make that more than reasonable!) prices.

Again, I'm not slamming Taylor - they're also a successful company. But their electrics will NEVER eclipse the Telecaster. It's a design worth copying/emulating.

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Sometimes re-inventing the wheel does not net you a better wheel.

There is a certain magic in the old tele design - the heart of the tele tone comes from that ash tray bridge, and covered neck pickup. You can make improvements to the quality of the parts, as well as how they fit together - but change the core concept and the tone changes away from that 1950's tele tone. That is the point with a Tele. It's the rawest and purest form of electric guitar. I don't buy the arguement that if someone wants a tele sound they should go buy a fender - The current fender teles (including the custom shops) are pretty far off the mark and not where they should be.

The Taylor electrics may have re-invented the wheel, but that all goes out the window when you play one. The magnetic pull of the pickups is way to strong and the sustain lacks. They sound lifeless and dull.

The fact that Larrivee is thinking of building a Tele Style is every bit as exciting as was their LP style RS 4 back in 08. To me they brought a LP up and beyond anything else on the market.

Can they do it to the Tele - of course this remains to be seen. Anyone in the market for Tele Style Guitar I would certainly put the brakes on a purchase until I saw the Larrivee offering.

Having a bolt on neck does not detract one little bit. The PUPS specifically remains to be seen we know they will have the Duncan Liberator system which in itself sets it apart and is an indicator to high end having the option of traditional tele PUP or a Mini Hummer. It will be equiped with  top notch hardware and appointments - but not over priced. The bridge detail has not been disclosed only that it's top shelf maybe  a CALLAHAM would be in line ( OK that's just me wishing).

Anyway friend, bandwagon or no bandwagon I heard all the wrong road stuff in 2008 when Larrivee was re-entering the Electric Line with the RS 4  BUT anyone familiar with Larrivee's 80's electrics knew very well their competence in Electric Guitars. I just feel Matthew is to Electric what JCL was/is to Acoustic bringing electrics to a whole new level.

Excited about a Larrivee Tele style - you bet I am!!!!!!!!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Look at a PRS Mira, Gibson Trini Lopez, Rickenbacker,Music Man  JP BFG , es type, even the old V style with banana headstock would be better than a tele . It's still just a silohuette on the Larrivee web page freinds. They made 35 teles for Seymour but its still not too late to change their mind about generation 3 Larrivee electrics. Matt L is probably shaking his head at the R & D people as we speak. There has to be a better more original idea out there.....BTW they should sign an artist like Luke Doucet to play and promote their electric products if they haven't already done so....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQJeuA9LgF8
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  ES Style got to side with you there friend!!!! Larrivee with their Acoustic background and their obvious top tier electric - can you imagine where they would bring an ES to :? :? :?

A Larrivee Semi would excite me most :smile:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: abalone at last on April 27, 2011, 12:05:38 AM
Look at a PRS Mira, Gibson Trini Lopez, Rickenbacker,Music Man  JP BFG , es type, even the old V style with banana headstock would be better than a tele . It's still just a silohuette on the Larrivee web page freinds. They made 35 teles for Seymour but its still not too late to change their mind about generation 3 Larrivee electrics. Matt L is probably shaking his head at the R & D people as we speak. There has to be a better more original idea out there.....BTW they should sign an artist like Luke Doucet to play and promote their electric products if they haven't already done so....

I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but Matthew IS "the R and D people" at Yarnell Place.  And he's done a pretty good job at it so far....

Telecasters and AK-47s. Some designs just keep on delivering the mail.

Quote from: abalone at last on April 27, 2011, 12:05:38 AM

I agree with your point on Larrivee signing an Artist or two from my vantage point anyway IMO, but who are we to really have the the big picture view of the promotion of Larrivee Co. :?

Nice plug BTW of this Canadian born ( Hay Nova Scotian I might add) very talented indeed BUT gotta say  Melissa McClelland steals the show when sharing the stage :wink: :whistling:

Is that UnclRob's White Falcon he's strummin :?

:bgrin:

Quote from: bel on April 26, 2011, 11:08:14 PM
The current fender teles (including the custom shops) are pretty far off the mark and not where they should be.

There is certainly a gap from the vintage twang say of the broadcaster to today's Custom Shop issues this is soo true. The Taylor electric no offence friends but really missed the mark can't imagine an attempt to debate otherwise on that.

The true test for Larrivee IMHO and if it hopes to catch any market share in this line would be - can they nail that traditional tone that got lost thru the years by Fender and not yet really captured by anyone else. This is what is missing in todays guitar stores.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on April 27, 2011, 09:54:55 AM
There is certainly a gap from the vintage twang say of the broadcaster to today's Custom Shop issues this is soo true. The Taylor electric no offence friends but really missed the mark can't imagine an attempt to debate otherwise on that.

The true test for Larrivee IMHO and if it hopes to catch any market share in this line would be - can they nail that traditional tone that got lost thru the years by Fender and not yet really captured by anyone else. This is what is missing in todays guitar stores.

I am not sure thet "tone" can be captured.  One thing I have learned is that most of our "guitar heroes" hotrodded their guitars to the max.  They customized everything on them.
You all would really enjoy "The Blackguard."

"Tone" is primarily a function of the player's technique. Discuss.  :nana_guitar

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 27, 2011, 10:15:21 AM
"Tone" is primarily a function of the player's technique. Discuss.  :nana_guitar
"Sound" maybe
Tone...no

If it were "technique"...then why the need to change guitars so often on stage?  Alternate tunings doesn't explain it IMO.

Quote from: Walkerman on April 27, 2011, 10:50:42 AM
"Sound" maybe
Tone...no

If it were "technique"...then why the need to change guitars so often on stage?  Alternate tunings doesn't explain it IMO.

Well, I suppose I'm inclined 180 degrees in the other direction. To me, sound is a function of equipment. Tone is a function of the musician. I only need one guitar. At a time, that is!  :laughin:

I'm a rather "recent" comer to Larrivee` electrics. Having spent the last few years as a Heritage guitar fanatic. Still am. And I love my Larrivee's just as much. Couple of things in this thread I have seen mirrored with our concern for Heritage. They rarely advertise. They don't solicit endorsers. Nor do they give their endorsers guitars; rarely do they even get a discount. We quite often have threads along the lines of "what H needs to do", "what were they thinking?", "they need to advertise", "why'd they make that?", etc.

4 years ago we decided to have a Heritage owners get together. We did a factory tour, had a picnic; the owners and employees all came out to the party. It's now an annual event. There is nothing like having one on one time with these guys to understand that they know what they are doing. They have direction, purpose, a business plan, etc. All or none of which may be apparent to those of us that are buyers/users. Not to mention the history of all these guys in the guitar making world. They know what they have and what they are doing. I'd have to think that JCL and Matthew know what they're doing. If they want to do a Tele-esque guitar, who are we, as users, to question that? Other than that free speech thing.  :thumb

Just an aside. During a rather tough time due to one major guitar manu giving them grief, another rather major guitar manu helped them with some designs. One of which looked suspiciously like a Tele. Set neck, too, rather than the traditional bolt on. Kind of odd that a builder known for their semis/hollows would build a Tele-type guitar. But, it worked. They didn't make many of them, but those that have them swear by them. Dandy looking and playing guitars.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

abalone at last!

Just for the records I played all of the Taylor Electrics at a Taylor guitar show! They aren't
even close in tone to the "SUPERB TONES" that the Larrivee RS-2's and RS-4's deliver!
Your comment that "TAYLOR" reinvented the wheel with their electrics is a pretty
"Ridiculous Statement"! As a matter of fact the Taylor electrics in terms of actual sales
has been for all practical purposes "LUKEWARM" at best since they were released!The
other comments from some of the postings regarding the tonal qualities of the Taylor
electrics were very accurate!

Just curious as to if you have even played the Taylor Electrics and a LARRIVEE RS-2 or
RS-4?
Mac Baker

I should also point out that many of the PRS designs are almost direct copies of the original Larrivee designs. The prs offerings look eerily like the larrivee's made in the mid/late 1980's.

PRS are Gibson clone's and they were sued by Gibson for there single cut modal.The PRS double cutaways are basically copies of Gibson Les Paul double cutaways.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

this feel very much like a troll thread.  don't feed the troll, people.

Quote from: unclrob on April 27, 2011, 09:13:54 PM
PRS are Gibson clone's and they were sued by Gibson for there single cut modal.The PRS double cutaways are basically copies of Gibson Les Paul double cutaways.

Not so sure about that Uncl I have always seen more similarities to the 80's Larrivees then Gibsons in many cases