Frets aren't seating

Started by hadden, April 26, 2011, 07:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I got a fret hammer to take care of the many unseated frets on my L-03. I tried a couple and they are not budging, even with a good whack. Maybe they were not arced properly and they spring back? I'm afraid I'll damage the guitar if I keep at it.

I'm also looking for a recommendation for a good not too pricey fret leveller.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: hadden on April 26, 2011, 07:45:26 AM
...a good not too pricey fret leveller.

unclrob!!! He's real good at it and not too pricey either.

Seriously, get thee to a good set up tech and get it done right. If you want to learn the trade that's OK but don't try to do it yourself. Guitars can be tempermental and they require love and finesse (like Jim Holler or Rob and maybe a few others that frequent this site can provide.

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

You need to get this to a tech/luthier you respect.Whackin the crap out of the frets will do nothing but damage them.If there not moving then either the fret slot isn't deep enough or the frets are seated.If its the fret ends then according to my exp. the binding has shrunk and you just need the ends pressed down a little on the ends then rounded over.Everyone's charge's differently.I charge $80 and some think that that is too muchso feel its too little.More important then what someone charge's is do they know what there doing.I have seen guitars frets distroyed to the point of refret.If what you want to do is learn how to do it yourself purchase the propper tools,buy a few cheap junkers,get some real lessons from a real human as the internet info is cool and all it doesn't go into any real detail.As always give you can give me a call if I can be of any help.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Unfortunately frets are one of Larrivees weak points. I had both mine leveled, crowned and edged. What a difference and for less than $200.00.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

I have yet to touch any brand of guitar that didn't need to have the frets dressed and crowned after purchase.Travel in a hot truck,stores that do not control there humity and in general a settling in period.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: Michael T on April 26, 2011, 10:00:50 AM
Unfortunately frets are one of Larrivees weak points. I had both mine leveled, crowned and edged. What a difference and for less than $200.00.

That's the absolute truth - I figure that cost into any Larrivee price I see, unless the seller specifically notes that they've had it professionally done. Also nut and saddle adjustment, and set-up. The difference in playability is amazing -

This may be true with other brands as well, but I don't have as much interest in most other brands -
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: tadol on April 26, 2011, 11:43:02 AM
That's the absolute truth - I figure that cost into any Larrivee price I see, unless the seller specifically notes that they've had it professionally done. Also nut and saddle adjustment, and set-up. The difference in playability is amazing -

This may be true with other brands as well, but I don't have as much interest in most other brands -

I have owned brands which never have exhibited a tendency for fret ends coming up.  Some were more notorious for that fourteenth fret "hump".  Some were notorious for not being finished as well as they could be.  Most of my numerous Larrivee's have had the problem to some degree.  I wish the frets would stay put as well as the necksets usually do.  On the other hand the fix is sure cheaper than a dovetail neck reset.

I stand firm on the problem being the finish that is sprayed onto it shrinks exsposing the fret ends.I do also agree that the fret ends need to be finish properly at the factory.I can prove it via a D10Brazilian that came to me via a dealer and there was no finish on the binding and the fret ends weren't sharp,there was a finish line were it meet the tape and needed to be cleaned up.A little steel wool and done.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I was just going to start a thread about the loose/unseated fret ends when I saw this one.
My new OM-09 that arrived a week ago has a few frets with the same problem, according to the responses here I guess it is a common issue. I'll take it to a local tech to have them looked at and fixed.

Thanks everyone. I wish I could do it myself. I've started getting tools after 3 (!) people not coming through in the guitar repair department in a short amount of time.

And yes Larrivee fretwork is worse than average, even taking into consideration most new guitars are not ready to go. These are unseated all the way up, with sharp fret ends, super scratchy, and will need levelling after they are brought down.
L-03 Italian Spruce