Replacing Larrivee Preamp. Help needed!

Started by Bruise, March 26, 2011, 11:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 29, 2011, 09:45:40 AM
Did you clean that phase switch and the knob controls or just the sliders? Those little switches like the phase type are notorious for having contact problems when dirty. Your description of crackling sound makes me think it is a connection problem so the first thing is to make sure all the contacts are clean. While it is plugged into the amp test every control one at a time and listen for any thing out of the ordinary, none of those controls should make any noise while you are sliding turning or switching them.
Yes I sprayed the knobs and the phase switch and moved them back and forth and wiped them down.  So you shouldn't hear any noise through the amp when you change a setting on the preamp?  Because I remember even when my electronics were working fine, even then, I would hear noise through the amp when I would change the phase switch back and forth.  Not a bad noise, you could just tell that a setting had been changed. 

Quote from: Bruise on March 29, 2011, 10:34:01 AM
Yes I sprayed the knobs and the phase switch and moved them back and forth and wiped them down.  So you shouldn't hear any noise through the amp when you change a setting on the preamp?  Because I remember even when my electronics were working fine, even then, I would hear noise through the amp when I would change the phase switch back and forth.  Not a bad noise, you could just tell that a setting had been changed. 
I would say that is normal, you will hear a little click sound from the phase switch.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Well cleaning the preamp and input jack did the trick!  Sounds great again!  Thanks to everyone for the help. :thumb

Quote from: Bruise on April 03, 2011, 01:06:48 PM
Well cleaning the preamp and input jack did the trick!  Sounds great again!  Thanks to everyone for the help. :thumb

Glad it worked out for you.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

My Larrivee prefix crapped out years ago with no warranty help from Larrivee (it was past a year).  Larrivee did such a bad job cutting the hole in the side that I can't drop in anything else in there.  Here's a pic

I really couldn't believe how bad of a job they did on my brand new Larry.  Had I known the factory would have screwed this up so bad I would have saved my money and had it installed by a skilled local luthier.

The only upshot:  Now I have a side tone port!

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud