000-15S Tuner Hole Coverup

Started by rwskaggs, April 16, 2011, 10:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just bought a used 000-15S (2006-07 stock where someone had changed out the tuners. When I got it from the other party, the stock tuners were back in place and there were four extra holes per side. Other than that, the guitar is in good shape and sounds wonderful.

The holes bug me. I've mixed some rosewood powder with epoxy and have carefully filled the screw holes flush with the slothead. There is little I can do to match the mahogany perfectly, so there are four darker spots per side.

I've read the archives on Plate-type replacement tuners, and am pretty convinced that's the way to go to cover up the damage. While checking Stew Mac's site, I see they offer vintage 3-on-a-plate engraved Waverly-STYLE tuners for a somewhat better price (like 1/3 the cost).

Anybody have experience with these? Are they worth a try for some savings, or should I just spring for the Waverlys and the conversion bushings?  Here's the link:  http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_slotted_peghead_tuners/Golden_Age_Restoration_Tuners_for_Slotted_Peghead_Guitar/Golden_Age_Restoration_Engraved_Tuners_for_Slotted_Peghead_Guitar.html

RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar + Italian double top
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning

People seem to have rated them well, I like the looks of the relic finish.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I almost bought the Waverly slot head, 3 on a plate for my harp guitar, but decided to see if the Grover Sta-Tites satisfied my needs.
Also found the plate tuners would not work as replacement b/c of the harp headstock. (Stew-Mac also has a great return policy--get my drift on how I know  :rolleye:.)
These Grovers look just like the single pc. slot head Waverly's--and are super; smooth tuning w/ 18:1 ratio (W' is 16:1)...and only if you look for the name can you tell the difference, for 1/3 the price.  The Waverlys may be "the best", but for 2/3 less $ I am fine.  Try the Sta-Tites.

I just got the Golden Age replacement 3 in 1's from Stew Mac and spent about an hour on the installation.  Didn't need to buy conversion bushings or enlarge the headstock at all.  Even came with "antiqued" screws for a good look.  I don't know how the Grovers would have been - lots of folks recommended them to me.

Maybe when I get a D-15S that I've been gassing for! :nana_guitar
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Quote from: rwskaggs on April 21, 2011, 10:03:42 AM
I just got the Golden Age replacement 3 in 1's from Stew Mac and spent about an hour on the installation.  Didn't need to buy conversion bushings or enlarge the headstock at all.  Even came with "antiqued" screws for a good look.  I don't know how the Grovers would have been - lots of folks recommended them to me.

Maybe when I get a D-15S that I've been gassing for! :nana_guitar

How do they work? IE smooth? How much backlash? Stay in tune?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on April 21, 2011, 12:19:51 PM
How do they work? IE smooth? How much backlash? Stay in tune?

They are very smooth - much more so than the Schaller tuners Martin supplied with the guitar.  I wasn't sure I wanted to spend all the money on the Waverleys and now I'm glad I got the Stew Mac Waverly- TYPE tuners.  Was just playing the guitar and noticed how much more I enjoyed not having to tweak it as I go...

Here are some photos from another responder to my questions on the UMGF - he posted photos of the same tuners installed on his 000-15S.  Identical to mine:

[attachment deleted by admin]
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

That looks really great.  I love those guitars.  I had a 000-15S for a time and it was fingerstyle heaven. Congrats rwskaggs

Denis, I'm glad to hear you endorse these guitars!  I really like your music...

I shopped around for quite a while to replace my Larrivee Rosewood Parlor.  I just couldn't do the short scale at all, but the 12 fret full scale on these is awsome!

Now I don't have any excuses about flubbing a fret - can't blame the guitar anymore.... :roll
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Quote from: rwskaggs on April 21, 2011, 04:49:41 PM
Denis, I'm glad to hear you endorse these guitars!  I really like your music...

I think endorse would mean that I'd get them for free....sadly, not the case.  I did enjoy mine though when I had it.  Now, I'm the owner of a 000-16-SRGT and I'm lovin it!  It's a real monster as guitars go.  Huge tone, easy to play...

And if I'm a mahogany mood, I play the 00-03MT Forum IV...

Denis,

For some reason I thought you had a whole stable full of parlors...not that it matters.  You kinda lean the same direction as I do for the smaller gits.
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Quote from: rwskaggs on April 26, 2011, 01:55:44 PM
Denis,

For some reason I thought you had a whole stable full of parlors...not that it matters.  You kinda lean the same direction as I do for the smaller gits.

Had I not sold any guitars over the last few years there would be a stable at my house.  As of now, there's 3 guitars, 000-16SRGT, BT-03 and 00-03MT...that's enough for now.   :wink:

Quote from: Denis on April 26, 2011, 02:44:32 PM
Had I not sold any guitars over the last few years there would be a stable at my house.  As of now, there's 3 guitars, 000-16SRGT, BT-03 and 00-03MT...that's enough for now.   :wink:
Yup, sure.

I'll take the old tuners off your hands. Just PM me and we'll work it out. I never cared for the 15 series Martins. (A style bracing) But if it is your thing , great.