Bolt-on neck reset

Started by guitom, April 14, 2011, 01:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can I expect a neck reset for a bolt-on to be a little cheaper?  What price range am I looking at?  Anybody know good repair folks in Indiana?  Or IL, KY, WI, OH, TN?

Quote from: guitom on April 14, 2011, 01:45:16 PM
Can I expect a neck reset for a bolt-on to be a little cheaper?  What price range am I looking at?  Anybody know good repair folks in Indiana?  Or IL, KY, WI, OH, TN?

Something wrong with MI  :?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Bolt on necks can be as much of a pain to pull and rest as a dovetall.I have always charged the same.I no longer do neck resets myself due to the fact that everyone wants to pay nothing for them.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Theoretically bolt-ons should require less work (not less skill) because in most cases it is not necessary to separate the joint of the finger board onto the top.
Most builders use a glued joint there as opposed to Taylor and Bourgeois that use screws. Also Taylors are adjusted by shimming and not cutting.

It is the skill-part that Rob refers to that shouldn't be taken for granted, but yes I think a bolt-on should cost you less because of the time aspect.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

It depends on the guitar. Taylor NT necks can be reset in less then one hour with no cutting of the wood and no heat to soften and release glue joints. Necks like a Seagull have the fretboard end glued to the top and require the tricky process of heating the glue to soften it for removal. The reset also requires the cuttin of the neck heal to change the angle. I charge $100  for a Taylor and $ 250 for a Seagull type reset. I have a Taylor to do today.
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on April 14, 2011, 07:14:44 PM

Or Michigan!  That would actually be best since I'm planning a trip north this summer and will most certainly include a stop in Lansing (or anywhere I might find a skilled repair person).

The guitar in question is a CFox.  There aren't that many of them and I no nothing about it other than it's a bolt-on.  I hope to find someone who has some experience with these.  Fortunately, the neck reset is imminent, but not an absolute necessity right now.

Thanks for all the responses.  They've all been very helpful so far.

I have not used them but I've heard Elderly's in Lansing has an outstanding repair facility.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on April 14, 2011, 07:14:44 PM
Quote from: Mr_LV19E on April 15, 2011, 09:57:30 AM
I have not used them but I've heard Elderly's in Lansing has an outstanding repair facility.
Not a thing wrong with Michigan. They did a neck reset for me a few years ago on a Martin HD28. And I am going there on Wednesday of next week. I have an Eastman archtop that is in need of a neck reset. No idea what i am getting involved in with a reset on an archtop...

Quote from: Trinity Guitars on April 15, 2011, 06:04:01 AM
Necks like a Seagull have the fretboard end glued to the top and require the tricky process of heating the glue to soften it for removal.

I charge $100  for a Taylor and $ 250 for a Seagull type reset.
Jim Holler

Jim, I find this interesting - the Seagull-part.
I recall from reading in an old Seagull catalogue that their dove tails weren't/aren't glued, but was/is merely a wood-on-wood pressed fit. Is that true?
Naturally as you stated the finger board is glued to the top, which logically needs to be separated to remove the dove tail. The only difference between that and a "fully glued joint" like a Martin dovetail would be removal of the 14th fret and drilling a hole into the neck-pocket via the fret channel for steaming/heating the glued dove tail - right?

How much would a Martin/Larrivee type neck's re-set be then?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Zohn on April 23, 2011, 02:01:51 AM
Jim, I find this interesting - the Seagull-part.
I recall from reading in an old Seagull catalogue that their dove tails weren't/aren't glued, but was/is merely a wood-on-wood pressed fit. Is that true?
Naturally as you stated the finger board is glued to the top, which logically needs to be separated to remove the dove tail. The only difference between that and a "fully glued joint" like a Martin dovetail would be removal of the 14th fret and drilling a hole into the neck-pocket via the fret channel for steaming/heating the glued dove tail - right?

How much would a Martin/Larrivee type neck's re-set be then?

Seagull is not a dovetail joint it is bolt on. There is no glue on the heal to the neck section. The fingerboard is glued to the top. I do not do Martin neck resets. We have two shops we direct our customers to for that work. The cost range is normally $ 350 to $400. The  reshaping of the dove tail neck shoulders is much tricker than with the bolt on neck.
Jim
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

I've been using Randy Perkins at R.I.T. Music in Holland, MI (http://www.hollandrit.com/) for my set-ups and every one has been perfect. I can highly recommend him as he apprenticed under Del Langejans. Del is semi-retired or I'd send you across the street to him.

Yep, Michigan is OK.
f

ps/ This is my 1000th post!!! I get another star! Yahoo!
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: ffinke on April 28, 2011, 03:27:08 PM

Very fortunate to have you around Friend, here's to many more thousand :beer
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: ffinke on April 28, 2011, 03:27:08 PM
I've been using Randy Perkins at R.I.T. Music in Holland, MI (http://www.hollandrit.com/) for my set-ups and every one has been perfect. I can highly recommend him as he apprenticed under Del Langejans. Del is semi-retired or I'd send you across the street to him.

Yep, Michigan is OK.
f

YAY!  :nanadance
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

This is the very issue that got me started into working on my own guitars. I had a reset done that looked like rats had been eating at the finish. I paid them, but will never let anyone reset a neck on my guitars again. Even in warranty. I'll just do it myself and the hell with the so called pro's who charge an arm and a leg and give you back a beater.

Not that there are not good repair techs out there. I'm just fed up with the locals. :angry:

(Oh yeah, I have reset bolt ons with 100% success. Dovetails are my challenge.)

Quote from: dependan on April 29, 2011, 02:18:08 PM
    (Oh yeah, I have reset bolt ons with 100% success. Dovetails are my challenge.)

Dovetails require craftsmanship and skill.

Edit: not indicating that you don't possess skill Danny! I read the post and thought, hmmmmmmm that didn't come out just right..Probably should have said that dovetails necks require very specific skill sets.

Quote from: GA-ME on April 29, 2011, 03:29:02 PM
Dovetails require craftsmanship and skill.

Edit: not indicating that you don't possess skill Danny! I read the post and thought, hmmmmmmm that didn't come out just right..Probably should have said that dovetails necks require very specific skill sets.
No need to edit. I know.

Danny after 20 or 30 dovetails don't get easier but you have more control over the pitfalls. :winkin:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on April 29, 2011, 09:52:07 PM
Danny after 20 or 30 dovetails don't get easier but you have more control over the pitfalls. :winkin:

It can't be that difficult - not with Uncl and frets.com a mere click away...
:winkin:  :tongue:

Not to divert discussion but to guitom - if you go to Elderly leave the credit cards and checkbook and debit cards far far away.  Acoustic guitar mecca is what it is.  If you're an electric guitar fan the selection is pretty nice as well.

You have been warned.  Perhaps allow your significant other to read this thread in it's entirety to help stave off the G.A.S.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on May 12, 2011, 07:56:21 AM
Not to divert discussion but to guitom - if you go to Elderly leave the credit cards and checkbook and debit cards far far away.  Acoustic guitar mecca is what it is.  If you're an electric guitar fan the selection is pretty nice as well.

You have been warned.  Perhaps allow your significant other to read this thread in it's entirety to help stave off the G.A.S.

Oh, I know.  I've been.