Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My mate's new custom Zion  (Read 1339 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2011, 06:03:45 AM »

Here's my mate Roy's custom made guitar. It is a "finger-stylist's Small Jumbo" in shimmering figured Sapele and Sinker Redwood made by Peter Marreiros of Cornerstone Guitars in Westminster, CA. It arrived in Africa 4 weeks ago.
I can't wait to wrap my fingers around the neck of this puppy...  drool drool

http://www.cornerstoneguitar.com/Sapele_RC.html

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:10:48 PM »

That looks sweet. Keep us posted on how it plays and sounds.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »

Beautiful guitar. Hope it sounds as good as it looks.    

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 04:40:42 PM »

THAT IS FLIPPIN' GORGEOUS!!!

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
bb blues

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 07:57:06 PM »

Beautiful !!!!!!
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 08:59:18 PM »

I wondered about the Ryan influence...
The builder was mentored by Ryan it would appear http://www.cornerstoneguitar.com/Letter.html

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
photomat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 03:33:37 AM »

Last year I played and photographed a Olivewood Zion that Peter made, it is a fantastic fingerstyle guitar.  The craftsmanship and sound were top notch.  We had a group over to play it, and compared it to a Ryan, Olson, Larrivee, Greven and Wingert, and it is right there at the top.  That looks like a great guitar.  Congrats to your mate....

Matt

FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 11:40:13 AM »

So I finally saw, held and played this beautie today.

It is the best looking, best made guitar I've ever seen with painstakingly attention to every detail - from the seamless transition of the bevel to the logo on the neck-block to the label. The choice of and application of the materials are startling - the appearance of the figure in the Sapele is 3-dimensional. The custom kerfing is faultless and the frets are perfectly leveled, crowned and polished.
I don't know Redwood, and certainly not sinker, but it is beautiful.

The proof of the pudding...
This is a finger-style instrument with a J body characterized by clearly defined fundamental notes all over the finger board. This all is supplemented by perfect string-to-string balance,  spot-on intonation and overtones and harmonics like I've never heard in one guitar thanks to the unique hybrid X-/ fan bracing, scalloped and symmetrical configuration between the lower part of the X. The bass is strong and sustain remarkable.

Despite the size (it is slightly larger than an L-Body), it is very comfortable thanks to the Ryan-style bevel, and the side soundport "opens up" a whole new experience to the player - it is great!

It is a great strummer as well, and I would imagine pretty good for picking too although I didn't play it with a plectrum. I believe Redwood has higher headroom compared to cedar, but the same (if not better) response at the mere touch of the strings with bare finger tips.

I have to add that it was fitted with coated Elixiers - I suggested that Roy fit a set of Blue grass John Pierce 80/20's and am convinced that would be a match made in heaven.

Yes it is a very expensive and most sought after instrument, but I can honestly say that I am lost for words, mostly by the sound, responsiveness and playability - the looks is a tasty bonus.  +1

This is the golden era of guitar building...

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: