Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For those making there own bone saddle's  (Read 1185 times)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2011, 06:49:43 PM »

Do us all a favor and make sure that the saddle fits snug not too snug but snugg enough.I say this because I now have to replace a bridge on an OM60 because someone sanded there saddle too much and they used a piece of tape to make it fit right.This cause the saddle too push foward causing a crack on the front side of the saddle slot of the bridge.

SO PLEASE BE CAREFULL.

Thanks

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 02:31:01 AM »

Yes! I'll admit a very long time ago, about 25 years, I used to make my own saddles and I left a little wide. I kiinda forced it in slot. Ha. It didn't split bridge right away, But very small cracks appeared at each end of the saddle in Ebony Bridge. It took a long time, I mean like at least a year, but cracks got a little wider then one night, yep the whole thing just came forward, well not the whole bridge, half of it! That was on L-10. Larrivee, even after explaning that it was my own fault, sent me a new, inlaid bridge for free. That was back in days when you could just call'm on the phone and chit chat for 20 mins.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:02:27 AM »

Shouldn't you be thanking the one whose poor craftsmanship sent you a customer? Do I need this 

Anyway, my latest saddle for my SD-03 made from three pieces of piano key ivories fits so that it can fall out yet does not wobble in the slot. It's not snug, but you can't wiggle it either. It cost me about $1.25 and an hour of time. This guitar shouts tone.

Thanks for the warning Rob.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »

Why you acoustic boys over playing in Electric's Sandbox

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 02:53:02 AM »

Joyce I'm old and confuse easily.I thought I click on the proper section but oop's.
Broken Ya you'd think I would be but not really,I hate seeing someone get riped off.
Flat snug is one thing but to thin it too much then to use tape to fix it well thats just....well.....STUPID.This looked like a nice piece of bone with the B comp I'm sure they spent some big dime on it.Again BUT if your going to do it yourself PLEASE be careful,if your not sure ask for help.If you mess up start again.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
quadropuss

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »

Piano key ivory??  How do you score that?  Illegal?
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 05:57:02 PM »

Piano key ivory??  How do you score that?  Illegal?

A few years ago we took possession of a piano that needed work and a few keytops. I went to ebay and found what I needed and then some. I guess they were salvaged from old pianos that were destroyed or no longer useful. Anyway, they make great saddles. They are also used by artists for scrimshaw works. I made a few picks also, but I don't like using them. To much 'pick-click'. All legal.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: