Taylor 514 question! Expression system views!

Started by SMixon, April 06, 2011, 08:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello All,
  Quick Question for you.  Currently I am baby sitting my friends 2001 Taylor 514ce with the older Fishman system.  The guitar has been played, but is still in overall good shape and sounds amazing! I can purchase this guitar from him for about $1300.00 including the case and I know where it came from so that's good. 

On the other hand I can purchase a newer 2006 Taylor GS5 with the Expression system in it from someone else.  It is newer and would have to be shipped(no biggie). 

My biggest issue is that while I have a tone of experience with Fishman,K&K,Baggs I have very little with the Expression system and would like to ask those of you have have tried or own a Taylor with the Expression stystem to please post your honest feelings about the ES. I would like to purchase an acoustic this time with a Pickup already installed and ready to gig so that is why I'm asking about the ES.  Thanks to everyone in advance for your advice.!

:thumb :donut :coffee
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

You might want to try this question over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum? It used to be the Taylor forum and the Taylor Illuminati still silently reign there.  :humour:

In short, Taylor ES was redone in 2008 and again in 2010, so depending on the year you are getting slightly different ES. The fishman is a good system but if your in search of the best sound, have it upgraded to the Fishman Aura preamp. Now sold separately.
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

If its the system with the 3 top sensors all I'll say is I've disconnected about 10 of them for other type 's of pu's.The complaint was that it wasn't very balanced and a bit one dimensonable.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I have seen requests for specific Taylor models but the buyer does not want one with an expression system. I sold a 615ce that had the barn door system (Fishman I think) and it sounded just fine to me. And the price on the 514 is very reasonable if it's in good shape.

I've never been a big fan of the ES.  I've never had a problem with a Fishman unit and that is what I prefer.

The bigger difference is that I believe Taylor changed their bracing a few years back.  I find the newer ones sound better unpluged than the older ones.

Don't be fooled by the older 514 vs the newer GS5. In fact, it could be advantageous in that it might be a played-in, good guitar. If you like the guitar trust your instinct.
I haven't played Taylors plugged in so I can't vouch for the electronics.
I do know however that the 514CE is my favourite Taylor, and one I'll certainly buy if the price is right. $1300 sounds pretty much right to me.
:smile:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Thank you for all your responses and advice.  I would like to purchase the guitar for sure.  I'm just letting my friend think on it until the end of the week and then he'll let me know if he's going to sell.  Otherwise the hunt will continue.  Thanks again!!!
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

I have an 814ce with the es system and love it. So easy to use sounds great in an amp or PA direct. I have run it ina di box then to a pa and that works geat as well. Love it
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

I like the Taylor expression system.  I used to own a Taylor 514ce which I sold to help fund my Lowden purchase.  That 514 was a great guitar.  On the other hand, of all the body styles that Taylor offers, I strongly prefer the tone of the GS.  Is the GS you mention also cedar over mahogany, and if so I would ask that owner if a trial period would be possible. 

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Hey,
  The GS is Ceder over Hog.  I should find out by Sunday if I'll seal the deal on the 514 or not.  If not then I'll probably check out the GS or an L series Larrivee.
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

So It has happend!!! The Deal went down yesterday.  I brought home my friends 2001 Taylor 514ce.  For now the Fishman system should be fine, but If I need to I'll retro fit it with a newer fishman system or the drop in Baggs, IMix. 
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Quote from: SMixon on April 11, 2011, 07:42:36 AM
So It has happend!!! The Deal went down yesterday.  I brought home my friends 2001 Taylor 514ce.  For now the Fishman system should be fine, but If I need to I'll retro fit it with a newer fishman system or the drop in Baggs, IMix. 
:gotpics: :gotpics: :gotpics: :gotpics: :gotpics: :gotpics: :gotpics: :tongue:

I was going to add that the x14 and GS are different sizes/shapes.  I found the GS rather large and more difficult to handle.  Good that you bought what you actually held in your hands and previewed.

I'll try and get some pics up soon.  It did have a crack in the fingerboard in the Ebony.  I know this is more of an asthetic issue than anything else and with some proper humidifying it's already started to seal itself.  More than likely I'll probably just monitor that and may get it fixed down the road.  Otherwise It's in pretty good shape and my friend bought it brand new in 2001 and he does his best to take care of his gear.  All in all the price was right and it sounds SO DARN SWEET!  Thanks for all the advice!!!
:thumb
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Unless it's a long crack or across the board I would think it's a big nothing. :blush:

My '76 Yairi had a 2" crack in the ebony fingerboard just north of the sound hole, never changed in 30 yrs. It was very superficial.  I wouldn't worry about it.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"