RS-2 Im new here!

Started by Sauer797, April 10, 2011, 03:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:gotdonuts: :donut : :coffee

Hey everybody! Im new here and heres my story: Ive never heard of larrivee guitars until a few days ago...I tried a rs-2 in a shop and fell in love and now its driving me nuts!! I cant get that guitar out of my head, its the best sound/tone feel ive ever experienced, i was blown away! I went to the shop 2 times played for a couple hours and im pretty much sold. Now ive been looking everywhere for a good price and it seems to me the rs-2 is kind of hard to find BUT i did find a couple of them... now i was wondering if some of you might be able to help me, i have a couple questions feel free to answer any of them...

1) I found a Larrivee RS-2 Ventura Trans Red guitar ,  anybody know the difference between ventura and a normal rs-2?
2) I really would like to know what the big deal is with p90 pickups everybody is talking about them ( i tried the humbucker rs-2 and loved it!) why does everyone want p90's so bad? (wich is better for clean sounds? what about a real heavy sound for metal?)
3) I heard somewhere larrivee is making a cheaper model rs-2 very soon, do you guys think sound and feel will be affected?
4) Im doing most of my shopping on ebay so nothing is sure yet so if you guys have any suggestions on where to find  a new/used rs-2 feel free to let me know.

Thanks so much guys this seems like a really great forum!  :cheers

Congratulations on your discovery - We are trying to keep Larrivee Electrics a secret :smile:

My Opinion on your questions:

1 believe Ventura is related to the color not the model

2. the big deal about the P90's is by those who already discovered and have the HB's. And the P90's are every bit as good ( but different than the HB's) you will get those too if you hang around here :laughin:

3 the new RS 2 is only cheaper in $ no diminished sound nor playability there are some in fact who like them better than the RS 4 ( not me as too me the RS 4 is the ultimate - bling weight, comfort playability all that effects my ears)

4 suggest you buy it from the shop you were just at nursing it for a few hours :smile:

Hope this is of some help oh and by the way  :welcome: and thanks for the  :donut nice to see one who reads the rules

:cheers
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I have one of each RS-4 (w/buckers) and RS-2 (w/P-90s). Both are excellent guitars with excellent tones. I can't say what an RS-2 with humbuckers would sound like, but I'm assuming it will have a slightly different tone than the maple capped RS-4 - kinda like the tone differences between a Les Paul and an SG...

But the P-90 pickups get a lot of love because they have great snap and note definition; more articulate than a humbucker, although the Larrivee humbuckers (which mine has in it, rather than the Lollars that came in the older RS-4s) are pretty articulate in their own right, since they're lower output humbuckers. The P-90s sound great clean, but they also overdrive beautifully as the gain level rises (same is true of the Larry buckers).

If you really liked the tone of the RS-2 with humbuckers, I'd say get that one - but plan on checking out a Larrivee with P-90's, and start saving your nickles and dimes!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

1) I found a Larrivee RS-2 Ventura Trans Red guitar ,  anybody know the difference between ventura and a normal rs-2?

Ventura is simply the model name - It's rarely used but shows on the invoices to the dealer.. for example "RS-2 Ventura - Amber Finish".

2) I really would like to know what the big deal is with p90 pickups everybody is talking about them ( i tried the humbucker rs-2 and loved it!) why does everyone want p90's so bad? (wich is better for clean sounds? what about a real heavy sound for metal?)

P-90's have a specific sound - they growl when hit hard, but they are noisier because they are a singlecoil - Humbuckers are the traditional choice for metal. Can't go wrong with that combo

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on April 11, 2011, 04:19:19 PM
Ventura is simply the model name - It's rarely used but shows on the invoices to the dealer.. for example "RS-2 Ventura - Amber Finish".

Sooo where does the Ventura come from and what does this add to the RS 2 model name :?

Are all RS 2's Ventura :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

We toyed with the idea of naming the different electric lines after california cities or areas. Ventura is next to Oxnard. It was something that just never happened. All RS-2's are RS-2 Ventura's.

I'd like the first RS-XX Port Hueneme!  :humour:

Thanks very much guys!! I think i will stick with humbuckers for the time being i was very impressed! And it looks like i found my guitar after all! Im placing an order tomorow for a RS-2 in trans red with humbuckers, i hope the color looks as good as on the pics ive seen :) thanks for all the help and please continue talking, share experiences anything rs2 related...i had a dream last night went to the store and turned out it was sold already hahaha ;)

Quote from: Sauer797 on April 11, 2011, 04:53:12 PM
looks like i found my guitar after all! Im placing an order tomorow for a RS-2 in trans red with humbuckers

Look forward to your comments upon receipt!!! BTW we luv Pics here so be sure to post some Pics upon arrival of your NGD

Thanks Matt for the info on the naming  :thumbsup