Is there a band you dont "get"

Started by DaveyO, March 26, 2011, 01:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ewalling on March 27, 2011, 06:45:30 PM
In my case, the bands I don't like really are crap!    :smile:

I can't remember the last time I thought a band was crap, but I never liked the songs of Queen, and Bohemian Rhapsody, is total and unforgivable horseshit. Mama Mia indeed!

:smile:
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: bearsville0 on March 27, 2011, 07:10:59 PM
and Bohemian Rhapsody, is total and unforgivable horseshit. Mama Mia indeed!

:smile:

But that Voice!!!!!!!!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 27, 2011, 07:56:20 PM
But that Voice!!!!!!!!!!

True. Mercury's singing is a good example of "hate the song, but love the songer" or something like that...

Heh Bear I agree with you on the stones. Aside from "Wild Horses" and a few other tunes they were not my cup of tea.
   But "The Band"?  What do you do if the radio plays "I shall be released" or "The Weight"? Do you change the channel? Just curious.

Quote from: dependan on March 27, 2011, 08:47:08 PM
Heh Bear I agree with you on the stones. Aside from "Wild Horses" and a few other tunes they were not my cup of tea.
    But "The Band"?  What do you do if the radio plays "I shall be released" or "The Weight"? Do you change the channel? Just curious.

Hi Dan,

I just never got into the singing style of The Band, I bought their records and really tried to like them, but the singer just comes over as whiney. I also thought that musically they were too similar to Traffic and I really like Traffic, so it has to be the singing that put me off.

BTW,Levon Helm is a local, old timer here in Woodstock and has these very popular concerts at his house every month, so I always feel like a heretic saying anything negative about The Band.

Quote from: bearsville0 on March 27, 2011, 09:14:44 PM
Hi Dan,

I just never got into the singing style of The Band, I bought their records and really tried to like them, but the singer just comes over as whiney. I also thought that musically they were too similar to Traffic and I really like Traffic, so it has to be the singing that put me off.

BTW,Levon Helm is a local, old timer here in Woodstock and has these very popular concerts at his house every month, so I always feel like a heretic saying anything negative about The Band.
Levon is my favorite singer from the Band, but they had three others that sang as well. I never likened the Band to Traffic, it's interesting how we all view things so differently.
       "Acadian Driftwood" is sang by Levon and I can't imagine you not liking that song. Anyway I guess I like em cause of the good times I had listening to them with friends. "King Harvest" was always a hoot to sing along to back in the day.

Quote from: dependan on March 27, 2011, 10:03:11 PM
 Levon is my favorite singer from the Band, but they had three others that sang as well. I never likened the Band to Traffic, it's interesting how we all view things so differently.
       "Acadian Driftwood" is sang by Levon and I can't imagine you not liking that song. Anyway I guess I like em cause of the good times I had listening to them with friends. "King Harvest" was always a hoot to sing along to back in the day.

And how can you not like "Chest Fever" and "Cripple Creek" ?   Oh well, everyone has their own distinct taste when it comes to music.   I love the Band and Traffic both but I don't see any similarity between them.

I will love and defend the 3 B's of modern music. Bob, Beatles, Band. For me it gets no better. At some point not liking greatness just makes one a cranky old contrarian, doesn't it? And believe me, I should know.   :laughin: 

Quote from: ducktrapper link=topic=35967.msg328848#ms 328848 date=1301309451

At some point not liking greatness just makes one a cranky old contrarian, doesn't it? And believe me, I should know.   :laughin:  

Especially when it comes to you not liking GREAT bands like Belle and Sebastian!   :bowdown:

B&S are the band I always fantasize about being their lead guitarist. I can't think of a more fun way to make music. And you think they're shite!

:tongue:

Quote from: bearsville0 on March 28, 2011, 06:30:32 AM
Especially when it comes to you not liking GREAT bands like Belle and Sebastian!   :bowdown:

B&S are the band I always fantasize about being their lead guitarist. I can't think of a more fun way to make music. And you think they're shite!

:tongue:

Ha! I'm contrary and not that bright. I bought two of their CDs before it dawned on me! Hey, you like Traffic, you can't be all bad.  :winkin: 

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 28, 2011, 05:50:51 AM
I will love and defend the 3 B's of modern music. Bob, Beatles, Band. For me it gets no better. At some point not liking greatness just makes one a cranky old contrarian, doesn't it? And believe me, I should know.   :laughin: 

Aside from Cripple Creek, I don't really like the Band's recorded "album' songs....now their live music is another story.  Two completely different animals IMO.  I suppose I'd replace the Band with the Beach Boys as one of the 3 B's.....but then, I was born and raised in southern California, living on the sand and surf.

Quote from: Walkerman on March 28, 2011, 03:00:15 PM
Aside from Cripple Creek, I don't really like the Band's recorded "album' songs....now their live music is another story.  Two completely different animals IMO.  I suppose I'd replace the Band with the Beach Boys as one of the 3 B's.....but then, I was born and raised in southern California, living on the sand and surf.

Apart from their voices, which I happen to really love, The Band was a crackerjack little orchestra. All multi-instrumentalists and master players, in their own right. However, Hal Blaine and the Wrecking Crew did most of the playing on Beach Boys' albums. My other 2 B's played their own music too. Levon Helm is one of the world's best drummers and for a drummer, Dennis Wilson was a pretty good piano player. Just sayin'.  
For the number of hits they played on, you could certainly make a strong argument that The Wrecking Crew in L.A., The Funk Brothers in Detroit, Area Code 615 in Nashville, Booker T.  and company in Memphis and those Swampers down in Muscle Shoals were truly  the best bands in the world. The unsung heroes of rock, R&B, soul and country music.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703858404576214574291829718.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funk_Brothers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_Code_615_(band)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booker_T._and_the_MGs

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1437161

Quote from: bearsville0 on March 26, 2011, 10:39:16 PM
Dave Matthews Band 

Coldplay

Bruce Springsteen,

Queen

Aerosmith

Paul McCartney

Rolling Stones (since Ron Wood joined)

Rod Stewart (since Ron Wood left)

Stevie Ray Vaughan

The Band

U2

Paul Mccartney, are you kidding?
wow, never heard of anyone not likeing Pauls music
Dave

Quote from: DaveyO on March 28, 2011, 06:26:01 PM
Dave

I'm not all that hot on it. It's too pop for me.

Quote from: DaveyO on March 28, 2011, 06:26:01 PM
Dave

It's a fine line between not liking it and not "getting" it.  I love good pop music but Paul ain't that, I guess I just don't find it that interesting. No offense or anything, most people don't like the stuff I like.

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 28, 2011, 12:40:50 AM

Oh well, everyone has their own distinct taste when it comes to music.   I love the Band and Traffic both but I don't see any similarity between them.

So I had Music From Big Pink going in the car all day today, looking to see what I'm missing.

I gotta say, I still think it sounds a heck of a lot like Traffic. Perhaps it's the White-Boy-Emulates-Ray-Charles-Syndrome they have in common.

And it's not that I dislike The Band, but they have a feel that I can't relate to.

Quote from: bearsville0 on March 28, 2011, 09:05:44 PM
So I had Music From Big Pink going in the car all day today, looking to see what I'm missing.

I gotta say, I do think it sounds a heck of a lot like Traffic. Perhaps it's the White-Boy-Emulates-Ray-Charles-Syndrome they have in common.

And it's not that I dislike The Band, but they have a feel that I can't relate to.

So what are the bands you listen to, or who do you listen to?   Just an admission of my own between Jackson Browne and The Band I only sprinkle in some others when I just totally have a gummed up brain.  J.B. is by far the one I listen to the most when I'm working on guitars or other projects around the house. His non-political stuff that is. Other than "I am a Patriot" I don't care to much for the heavy political lyrics in any music.
       I like to enjoy music, not be tortured by ideologies.

Quote from: bearsville0 on March 28, 2011, 09:05:44 PM
Perhaps it's the White-Boy-Emulates-Ray-Charles-Syndrome they have in common.

:yawn I guess that statement could apply to anything after 1955
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 28, 2011, 03:27:28 PM
Apart from their voices, which I happen to really love, The Band was a crackerjack little orchestra. All multi-instrumentalists and master players, in their own right. However, Hal Blaine and the Wrecking Crew did most of the playing on Beach Boys' albums. My other 2 B's played their own music too. Levon Helm is one of the world's best drummers and for a drummer, Dennis Wilson was a pretty good piano player. Just sayin'.  
For the number of hits they played on, you could certainly make a strong argument that The Wrecking Crew in L.A., The Funk Brothers in Detroit, Area Code 615 in Nashville, Booker T.  and company in Memphis and those Swampers down in Muscle Shoals were truly  the best bands in the world. The unsung heroes of rock, R&B, soul and country music.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703858404576214574291829718.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funk_Brothers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_Code_615_(band)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booker_T._and_the_MGs

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1437161

The point is/was....I'd rather listen to a Beach Boys album than a Band album....now, it's a moot point as to which one I'd rather hear live....cause most of the members ain't....live, that is to say..... :crying:

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 28, 2011, 09:53:36 PM
:yawn I guess that statement could apply to anything after 1955

Who specifically do you have in mind? I'd like to add to the list.