Is there a band you dont "get"

Started by DaveyO, March 26, 2011, 01:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For me in a way , is Crosby Stills Nash and Young
I never thought their harmonies were strong,
I do like some of their songs but I dont think they are the supergroup people say they are.
anyone else feel the same about another artist or band?
Dave

Well, I disagree with you. That's just plain revisionism. But I'll say ...

Pearl Jam.
Coldplay.
Black Eyed Peas.

... to name a few.

Worthless noise, otherwise known as headbanger. But some like it.  :? go figgur. I suppose it has some merit,,,,perhaps for those who dance around large fires butt-naked and painted all over. Sorry...don't mean to entice anyone here.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: DaveyO on March 26, 2011, 01:31:28 PM

I never thought their harmonies were strong,

Dave c'mon really :? :? :?

Duck you's showin your age :tongue:

For me:

Metallica, U2, Nirvana, Kiss  ACDC and Bon Jovi those are my 5 or is it 6 :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Dave Matthews Band...never heard a song of theirs that really does it for me...

CSN?  Really?  Listen to Deja Vu is one of my desert island discs...

Quote from: Denis on March 26, 2011, 02:12:33 PM

Don't let Alana hear you say that!!!  I love DMB, but on a musical level much more than a song writing level.  I have all their records, and the only song that i love for its lyrics is the Dreaming Tree, which Stefan Lessard wrote about his daughter's cot death, nothing to do with Dave.  They are outstanding musicians.  Dave is an absolutely unique guitarist too.  They will never be the same without Leroi though. 

For me, I can't get Muse.  Matt Bellamy is touted as a reral ground breaker in guitar playing, but it's just no-melody noise to me.  When he turns off all the gadgets and just plays guitar, like on Plug in Baby, it is so-so rock/pop music.  With all the synth rubbish it just hurts my ears.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: Denis on March 26, 2011, 02:12:33 PM

CSN?  Really?  Listen to Deja Vu is one of my desert island discs...

Denis, you beat me to it.   Dave Mathews Band doesn't do it for me either.   I admit that there is a ton of talent in that band but I just don't care for the songs for the most part.   

As I get older I realize that I'm just way out of touch when it comes to modern music.  I used to go to a lot of concerts;  now it's rare that anyone comes around that I want to spend money too see.   

And I just can't listen to any band or entertainer that uses the "autotune" technology to alter the voice.     Just call me an old fogey.

T the P

For me it's Bruce Springsteen - I can barely abide being within earshot of the sound of him and his band! Dire Straits at their peak also left me cold.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 26, 2011, 01:53:36 PM
Dave c'mon really :? :? :?

Duck you's showin your age :tongue:

For me:

Metallica, U2, Nirvana, Kiss  ACDC and Bon Jovi those are my 5 or is it 6 :?

No doubt although like Papillon I don't look nearly as bad as I should.  :laughin:
I like Nirvana a lot, and Gene Simmons seems kind of cool although I can do without his music but I'm with you on the rest.

Dave Matthews Band 

Coldplay

Bruce Springsteen,

Queen

Aerosmith

Paul McCartney

Rolling Stones (since Ron Wood joined)

Rod Stewart (since Ron Wood left)

Stevie Ray Vaughan

The Band

U2
If it sounds good, it is good.

Do I have to say it?  Really?  Nobody else before me mentioned...

JUSTIN BEIBER????

I guess maybe he's not a band.  But just like the David Cassidy phenomenon a generation ago, why this kid is so popular escapes me.  Could it be my age speaking?  Um, sure, maybe I developed taste at some point

Dave

It's funny how jarring it is when, on a question like this, someone mentions a universally accepted genius or acclaimed group. Is that the point? For the record, I'm not saying that the groups I've mentioned aren't any good, just that what they do doesn't really work for me and although I'm well aware that many others love these artists, I'm not quite sure of their appeal. De gustibus non est disputandum.   

I'm sure there are alot but I don't know there name's.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 26, 2011, 11:09:54 PM

For the record, I'm not saying that the groups I've mentioned aren't any good, just that what they do doesn't really work for me and although I'm well aware that many others love these artists, I'm not quite sure of their appeal.

That's exactly how I feel about the people in my list.

:thumb
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 26, 2011, 01:33:59 PM
Well, I disagree with you. That's just plain revisionism. But I'll say ...

Pearl Jam.
Coldplay.
Black Eyed Peas.

... to name a few.

BLACK EYED PEAS...........simply horrid.
04' Larrivee OM-03MT Forum I #9 of 17
08' Larrivee L-03R(E; Baggs)
09' Larrivee OO-03 Special Edition
00' Larrivee D-02
09' Baden A-Style Hog/Cedar
07' Breedlove Concert Maple
LTD ESP F-250
Ibanez S7420
QuoteAnyone's Everything.

Most of today "artists" seem to get really big, really fast and then crash.  Nobody seems to last more than a couple of years.  Beiber, Lady Gaga...I'd be surprised if anyone knows who they are in 3-4 years...

Quote from: Denis on March 27, 2011, 03:36:09 PM
Most of today "artists" seem to get really big, really fast and then crash.  Nobody seems to last more than a couple of years.  Beiber, Lady Gaga...I'd be surprised if anyone knows who they are in 3-4 years...

Here's hoping!! It's the nature of the industry. Bells, whistles, flashing lights and interesting hairdos. Kids get bored quick these days though.  Real music will continue below the surface, and be appreciated by those who care.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BenF on March 27, 2011, 04:32:15 PM
Here's hoping!! It's the nature of the industry. Bells, whistles, flashing lights and interesting hairdos. Kids get bored quick these days though.  Real music will continue below the surface, and be appreciated by those who care.

I think the getting bored thing has always been there.  Nature of the beast but seriously, seems like all they care about is making all the money they can as quickly as possible then they burn out after 18-24 months and then go to rehab. Then we're all supposed to feel bad for them.  Really now.  And they can't even remember the words to their own national anthem.  Even I know the words to the Star Spangled Banner and I'm Canadian.

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 26, 2011, 11:09:54 PM
It's funny how jarring it is when, on a question like this, someone mentions a universally accepted genius or acclaimed group. Is that the point? For the record, I'm not saying that the groups I've mentioned aren't any good, just that what they do doesn't really work for me and although I'm well aware that many others love these artists, I'm not quite sure of their appeal. De gustibus non est disputandum.   

How magnanimous of you. In my case, the bands I don't like really are crap!    :smile: