Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a band you dont "get"  (Read 7274 times)
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2011, 10:18:04 PM »

Here is one I don't get. Sun O)))

Don't like 'em either. But take a look at the youtube video...don't take my word for it. The best part is where it goes BBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO­OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO­OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO­OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sun O))) on YouTube

BTW...love the Band. Just bought The Last Waltz on Blue Ray. Thinking about having some friends over and having a party to watch the Band and drink some adult beverages...

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
willfo

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2011, 12:25:43 AM »

Keith Urban
Toby Keith
Carrie Underwood..... Without an exception I can think of , anything played on top 40 country stations , or any top 40 pop stations as long as I'm going to make 1 sweeping generalization , I may as well make 2. The general public has gotten so lazy that the mass attention span is splinter thin , they eat whatever is put in front over their over exposed maw's and love it.
A band that I do find interesting that has made itself on advertising and marketing however, is the Black Keys, so go figure.

Larrivee D03RE
Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele
Republic Tricone
various banjo , mandolins, and lap steels
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2011, 01:06:13 AM »

OK, I made comments regarding others choices mostly. But I have to say I DON'T GET ANY OF THE NEWER BANDS. I like some of the solo artists but haven't been interested enough to buy any thing since U2 Joshua Tree. I did buy a couple of songs from a few newer artists Larry McMurtry's son had a song called "Childish Things" I think. I Liked it a lot. Didn't care for much of his other stuff though.

But I so rarely listen to the radio (can't STAND commercials) that the only way I know abut anyone new is from my kids, g-kids or here.

So I guess my answer is I don't get much of anybody since about when Stevie Nicks left Fleetwood Mac.   You can go your own way  ( she hated singing that one, since it was about her )

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2011, 07:23:33 PM »

If you really want to feel out of synch with today's music, and if like me, you're from a different era, just take a look at Billboards Top 100 for 2010.

I mean, who are these people???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_top_10_singles_in_2010

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2011, 12:57:24 AM »

This evening I was working late again, so I got a sandwich at Jimmy Johns. The young men were very courteous and did a good job, but the music was buggin me.
   Eventually this song comes on (same album/cd) and it sounds like they are singing 'You bore me and you were born to bore me" Probably not the lyrics but I was thinking "ANNOY" may be a better definition. So half way thru my meal I wrap it up, go to the counter and ask. "Heh, who is this group playing?"
   A quick bright reply said "Oh man aren't they great, they are from Portland, "Beach House".

I said "Thanks, I just wanted to be sure and never buy any of their music." The pretty young lady waiting for her food smiled slyly and I walked out mumbling "Different Strokes".

I did finish the meal on the way home. Good food.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2011, 01:00:42 AM »

I did finish the meal on the way home. Good food.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2011, 01:35:15 AM »

If you really want to feel out of synch with today's music, and if like me, you're from a different era, just take a look at Billboards Top 100 for 2010.

I mean, who are these people???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_top_10_singles_in_2010

Well, in fairness, "It's every generation throws a hero up the pop charts".

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1920841/posts   
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2011, 02:56:34 AM »

Thanks for that link Duck. I have become acquainted with Steyn since he sits in for Rush occasionally. He's a riot.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2011, 04:34:10 AM »

Here is one I don't get. Sun O)))

Don't like 'em either. But take a look at the youtube video...don't take my word for it. The best part is where it goes BBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO­OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO­OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO­OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sun O))) on YouTube

BTW...love the Band. Just bought The Last Waltz on Blue Ray. Thinking about having some friends over and having a party to watch the Band and drink some adult beverages...

Get it? I can't even pronounce it.

The Last Waltz is a yearly visit and always enjoyable. Big time Robbie! Big time!   
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2011, 04:35:43 AM »

Thanks for that link Duck. I have become acquainted with Steyn since he sits in for Rush occasionally. He's a riot.

Very interesting read. I don't totally agree but he makes some good points. He's changed my mind on a lot of issues since I started reading him in The National Post all those years ago. Not many can do that. A funny conservative? Whoda thunkit?
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2011, 07:26:55 PM »

I never got or cared for Steely Dan.
I never got or cared for ELP.

On the other hand, I actually do like some of ABBAs music, so what do I know.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2011, 09:35:49 PM »

I never got or cared for Steely Dan.
I never got or cared for ELP.

On the other hand, I actually do like some of ABBAs music, so what do I know.

I like a select few tunes from both SD and ELP.  Do it Again from Steely Dan is one of the best grooves I've heard.  It's more like I don't get all their tunes, not really a fan.  And Abba's got a ton of good tunes!

bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2011, 03:41:27 AM »

Well, in fairness, "It's every generation throws a hero up the pop charts".

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1920841/posts   

I would enjoy chatting with that guy. Not sure what it is about him that makes him a "conservative" though. Seems like a thoughtful person.

If it sounds good, it is good.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2011, 11:49:21 AM »

I would enjoy chatting with that guy. Not sure what it is about him that makes him a "conservative" though. Seems like a thoughtful person.

Well, he's self identified and I agree he'd be a hoot to have a beer with. Definitely a contrarian to this day and age. The reason I identify in that direction these days is for similar reasons. I'm a thoughtful person and modern liberals are required to believe a lot of utter nonsense or the tribe points and shreiks like at the end of Body Snatchers.      

http://www.amazon.ca/America-Alone-End-World-Know/dp/0895260786

http://www.steynonline.com/
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »

Well, he's self identified and I agree he'd be a hoot to have a beer with. Definitely a contrarian to this day and age. The reason I identify in that direction these days is for similar reasons. I'm a thoughtful person and modern liberals are required to believe a lot of utter nonsense or the tribe points and shreiks like at the end of Body Snatchers.      

Since this is a thread about "getting" something or not, I don't get the need to identify as either a liberal or a conservative or a contrarian. Seems silly to me when the only thing that really matters is whether or not you're Hip!

afro

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2011, 12:38:53 PM »

Since this is a thread about "getting" something or not, I don't get the need to identify as either a liberal or a conservative or a contrarian. Seems silly to me when the only thing that really matters is whether or not you're Hip!

afro

Hip? Conservative? Even worse. Steyn is apparently a  ... GASP ... Republican!  And them we get! Haters!!!!   
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2011, 12:44:36 PM »

Sorry man, politics is so 

Just gimme some truth!

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2011, 01:36:22 PM »

Just gimme some truth!

Just because it bores you, doesn't mean it doesn't effect you, however. Truth? Most people can't handle the truth nor do they want any part of it.  
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »

I never got the Grateful Dead until I was in my forties. I always found it monotonous but one day it just caught me in the right mood and I found their sound so intriguing. My brother in law is a lifelong deadhead and he started giving me these great cds from the Dick's pick's collection. I love them now. Most recently heard these DST surround sound mixes that some fans put together from a variety of concerts over the years. All free downloads and an amazing, unedited experience.

broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2011, 04:32:01 AM »

Just gimme some truth!

I'd like some of that myself. Know where I can find it??? Nevermind.
If one persons' truth is anothers' lie, is it still true?

Actually, if those in politics were concerned with truth, we wouldn't be in the mess.

Who started this anyway?

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: