RS-4 at rehearsal/gigs

Started by tulk1, March 24, 2011, 10:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I posted originally about my "new to me" RS-4 Charcoal over in the Larrivee Guitars room. Thought I'd move comments on the RS-4 over here at the Electric room. Just for grins.  :bgrin: Every time I play this guitar I am more impressed. Or is that, I'm more impressed every time I play this guitar.  :? I think it's the clarity that is getting to me. I'm just amazed at how articulate this guitar comes across, even when OD'd fairly well. I'm not a high gain player. I prefer clean to overdriven, rather than high gain. Works best in a country music situation. It just seems that suddenly I'm cutting thru without having to increase the volume. It's just .......... there. And, I find I'm working the neck/neck-bridge more than the bridge alone. I really really like the 'tween position on this guitar. Just wanted to share. Not sure what generation of HB's I have. It's an '09 finished in April. And just for grins, here's a pic, same as I posted before.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

I'll be the first to comment, I guess, in the 'lectric thread:

:nice guitar:

At first when these came out, charcoal burst like yours was my first choice. Then they came out with the Rootbeer burst and I was smitten! Mine was built in fall of '10, and I received it in Dec. '10 - so I'm pretty sure mine has the G3 pickups (3rd generation). I agree; articulate, wonderful clean, yet also awesome when just pushed into overdrive, a la Larry Carlton, and then a little further into overdrive like Robben Ford. I think the 25.5" scale length really helps the clarity without hurting the growl factor.

And the overall quality of the build and the woods is stellar: it reminds me of my '92 OM-05, which has few peers (and I've owned 4 other acoustic Larrivees over the past 7 years). And the stuff you don't see; pots and caps and cavity sheilding, are also excellent.

Again,  :welcome:
and keep enjoying that gee-tar!!!

:+1:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

:welcome: to the Electric Side of The Forum - an ever growing in appreciation side like the RS's

The Larrivee sure is something and a wonder of amazement that most players on the planet do not know they exist, that insanity can't last :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Tulk1, you mentioned you prefer the clean side of a guitar which is also my preference, can you tell me what amp you are using as I plan to upgrade and want one that is really strong on the cleans

Quote from: elusive on March 24, 2011, 10:59:07 PM
Tulk1, you mentioned you prefer the clean side of a guitar which is also my preference, can you tell me what amp you are using as I plan to upgrade and want one that is really strong on the cleans
I use one of two amps. Neither of which is really known for their cleans. I keep a 5E3 Deluxe at rehearsal. 12w, vintage speakers/tubes. And I gig a Tweed Super 5F4. 28w, again, all vintage stuff inside. I rarely get either amp over "2" on volume. Sometimes up to 3, but thats rare. Maybe that helps keep them on the "clean" side of things.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 24, 2011, 06:20:18 PM
I'll be the first to comment, I guess, in the 'lectric thread:

:nice guitar:

At first when these came out, charcoal burst like yours was my first choice. Then they came out with the Rootbeer burst and I was smitten! Mine was built in fall of '10, and I received it in Dec. '10 - so I'm pretty sure mine has the G3 pickups (3rd generation). I agree; articulate, wonderful clean, yet also awesome when just pushed into overdrive, a la Larry Carlton, and then a little further into overdrive like Robben Ford. I think the 25.5" scale length really helps the clarity without hurting the growl factor.

And the overall quality of the build and the woods is stellar: it reminds me of my '92 OM-05, which has few peers (and I've owned 4 other acoustic Larrivees over the past 7 years). And the stuff you don't see; pots and caps and cavity sheilding, are also excellent.

Again,  :welcome:
and keep enjoying that gee-tar!!!

:+1:
I'd love to have a Rootbeer Burst with P90s! (right after an OMV-05E, when I can afford one. Or maybe an L model). That would be pretty darned cool. I guess I just glossed over that these have a 25.5" scale. That's the traditional Fender scale, isn't it? Gibs = 24.75", PRS= 25" and Fender 25.5"? Wonder what possessed them to do that? Whatever the reasoning, it works. 
Kenny

What possessed them?  Genius, sheer genius.  For me, the big difference between the Fender and the RS-4 dimensions is that the RS-4 has a 1 11/16" nut width as opposed to Fender's 1 10/16" nut width.  Throw in the neck shape and the compound radius and Larrivee has created what is, for me, the most eminently playable neck I've yet to experience.
How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

Quote from: wilblee on March 28, 2011, 07:08:57 AM
What possessed them?  Genius, sheer genius.  For me, the big difference between the Fender and the RS-4 dimensions is that the RS-4 has a 1 11/16" nut width as opposed to Fender's 1 10/16" nut width.  Throw in the neck shape and the compound radius and Larrivee has created what is, for me, the most eminently playable neck I've yet to experience.
I'll go with that.  :beer  The necks rival my Heritage hand carved, asymmetrical necks - which I just love; even tho' they are 24.75. I have absolutely NO issues with the RS-4 right out of the box. Just amazing. The RS-2 needs some work. But not this baby!

And just because it's Monday morning!
Kenny

Think I just saw an Amber RS-4 played by the house orchestra/band Guitarist on the "Dancing with the Stars" show - can be seen on the opening number week 4 results show on abc.com episode viewer. Haven't figured out how to get a still shot from the video, but sure looked like one.
L-03,  Forum-IV 003-Hog, RS-4 Hogtop HB's, Logan Custom Tele Rescue - (Aka used) (neck P-90)

Quote from: WPete on April 14, 2011, 01:03:04 PM
Think I just saw an Amber RS-4 played by the house orchestra/band Guitarist on the "Dancing with the Stars" show - can be seen on the opening number week 4 results show on abc.com episode viewer. Haven't figured out how to get a still shot from the video, but sure looked like one.

How about just a link to the video?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 14, 2011, 02:38:25 PM
How about just a link to the video?
Here it is ............http://abc.go.com/watch/dancing-with-the-stars/SH559050/VD55121899/week-4-results I didn't see a Larrivee`, myself. Would have been cool, tho'.
Kenny

:mad:

I got this message in my attempt to view:

You appear to be outside the United States or its territories. Due to international rights agreements, we only offer this video to viewers located within the United States and its territories

Good Grief :yak:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Hi JOYCEfromNS,

I think you got that message because there is a Canadian source for show (CTV).  I haven't tried to find the clip mentioned above, but maybe you can find it here.

http://shows.ctv.ca/DancingwiththeStars.aspx

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on April 16, 2011, 09:27:33 AM
:mad:

I got this message in my attempt to view:

You appear to be outside the United States or its territories. Due to international rights agreements, we only offer this video to viewers located within the United States and its territories

Good Grief :yak:

Watched again @ about 2:35 of the 43 min show, guitar is in back row, to left as you are watching, of the violinist - could be mistaken but pickups body and knobs look right - PU toggle sw tho has a bigger chrome surround ring.  :nana_guitar 
My apologies if false alarm.  :donut :donut :donut
L-03,  Forum-IV 003-Hog, RS-4 Hogtop HB's, Logan Custom Tele Rescue - (Aka used) (neck P-90)

Thanks ST for the Canadian Link  :rolleye:

IMO this guitar of question is a Norlin era  Gibson LP Standard for a # of reasons -  the large poker-chip and looks like a 17 degree headstock angle ( which some may have referred to them as Les Tauls :-) anyway a few other queues but I'd just bore you all

Definitely not an RS4  it's a 70's or early 80's LP Standard

:cheers