Humbucker version in RS2

Started by elusive, March 16, 2011, 06:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finally got my RS2 with humbuckers, it is really quite beautiful and feels good except for the frets which seem a little high when I am sliding across. Can anyone tell me how to breakdown the serial number as far as date of production?
Also since I am fairly new with electrics. I would like help with this: I find that when I am playing it the 5th and 6th strings tend to sound woolly, in other words it drones on too much, is not as tight as I would like it. I believe it could be the amp as it is just a Roland Micro Cube. Is this what is causing this or could it be something else?
Your help is greatly appreciated!

Support offers a Serial Number look up. Larrivee Support.

Not really sure what you mean on the strings droning on. Are you playing them open?  :?
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Hi Tulk1
it does the same open or chorded especially when strumming, it carries or projects much more than the other strings to the point where I find it drowns the other strings. It kind of like when you listen to a cheap stereo and its cranked up to much causing the bass from the speakers to sound soft while drowning out the mids and highs.
Thanks for responding

Hey elusive, is that when playing either or both pickups? What I mean is, is it more pronounced when using one pickup over the other? Or the same regardless? If it's one or the other, then try adjusting the bass side of that pickup down. Just watch the turns on the screw so you know how far you moved it. Or, you can adjust the screw poles in the pickup. My RS-2 came with the pickups adjusted to the neck radius. Pretty darned cool, if you ask me. Not sure if it came from the factory that way, or if the previous owner did that. But it sure works.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Hey Tusk, do me its all the same in a relative way with the neck having somewhat more drone than the bridge. Am I to understand that the closer the pickups or pole screws are to the strings the more bass their is? I imagine mine is adjusted to the neck radius also since when I look at the screws the high and low string screws seem to be lower than the middle ones (is that what is meant by adjusted to the radius).
Since you are so knowledgeable could you also answer this for me. How do I check for the right intonation and how do I adjust if it is off?
Thanks many times.

Well, would seem that if it's doing it with either/or/no pickups then it's not an electrical thing. For whatever reason, those two strings are more resonant than the others. I'm thinking it'll take someone to actually put hands on it to fix it. Unless someone else with more experience jumps in.

On intonation, you can check it quite easily. You'll need a tuner. And preferably a very good tuner. Strobe would be better. To check intonation you pluck the open string and ensure it's in tune. Then press and hold that same string at the 12th fret. It should still be in tune. If it's sharp, the string length is too short over the saddle. Adjust the saddle back (towards the tailpiece) in small increments, retune and recheck. If it's flat, the string is too long and you need to adjust the saddle forwards towards the pickups. Again, in small increments, checking often. Some say to use the harmonics instead of the open string. Done it both ways. Both work. 

Lots of vids on youtube, too.
Kenny

Very helpful thanks, the best way to describe the sound is if you would turn the bass way up in your car and not touch the treble and since I can't adjust the bass or treble on the Micro Cube I am limited to correcting it.

I would also suggest you try simply lowering the bass side of each pickup in small increments, test the sounds again, and lower again - to see if this helps back off the bass "drone" you're hearing.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Much obliged Mikeymac, I will try try that (I assume it means turning the screw clockwise) I notice you have an RS2 and RS4 with the different pups. Which do you prefer or which do you favor for different kinds of music.
I noticed that nobody has mentioned my amp as being partly responsible as it is only 2 watts with a very small speaker so is it possible that it is struggling resulting in distortion leads muddies the bass?

It could be the amp - the quick way to check would be to walk into any music store with your new guitar and tell them you're shopping for an amp. Plug in the guitar and see if it's there.

If you're looking for a new amp - there are a ton of great choices in all prices ranges. In the mid level there are some great Mesa's out there and the Rs-2/4 sound great through them - there are plenty of them on the used market too. In the higher end the CARR's are excellent choice. I have an 8 watt which is great.

Quote from: elusive on March 24, 2011, 10:50:25 PM
I noticed that nobody has mentioned my amp as being partly responsible as it is only 2 watts with a very small speaker so is it possible that it is struggling resulting in distortion leads muddies the bass?

Suggest you always attempt the easiest solution 1st - in this case try a different amp. My money is on this as being the issue.

Please keep us posted on your findings and your search for a new amp as you certainly NEED one now!!!!!

CARR Amps   :thumb
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Suggest you always attempt the easiest solution 1st - in this case try a different amp. My money is on this as being the issue.

Please keep us posted on your findings and your search for a new amp as you certainly NEED one now!!!!!

Well I did get another amp to replace the Micro Cube but stayed within budget amps. I debated awhile at the store between the Fender Mustang 2 and the Line 6 (4) 30 watt. I took the Line 6 because I like the clean and blues sound. Some of the distortion channels to my ears do not sound to good but  I do not play that style. I was using a LP studio at the store and the 6th string bass string sounded fine but at home with the RS2 still seems boomey to me, so it tells an adjustment as some posts suggested is needed. However since I am so new to this I hesitate tinkering with it, but I have a more experienced friend coming over on Sunday and will have him take a shot at it.
But overall the new amp is a big overall improvement. They did have a used Roland Cube 60 which I found awesome but it is just to powerful for my apartment, even at a gain and volume of 1-2 its powerful.

Well my time with the Line6 Spider4 30 proved to be short lived. The factory presets went totally berserk on me resulting in the worst blues sound possible and the other presets were also unplayable. So I took it back this morning and they offered to replace but it left me with a bad taste so I opted this time for something much simpler a Traynor Reverb Mate 40 with minimal sound options but excels at handling the cleans. It is not as good on the dirty but I do not use that sound much.  I just finished playing with it and I am very pleased. I raised the 6th string a touch to get rid of some buzz and spent the next hour appreciating the RS2 and its wonderful Humbuckers. It really is such a comfortable guitar and reacts so well to the different touches of your hands. Also the woolly bass string is much better now with this amp.