PETROS FINGERBOARD OIL

Started by GUITARMANDAN, September 22, 2011, 06:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanks to one of the senior moderators on this forum, I purchased a bottle of Petros fingerboard/fretboard oil. Now this is some serious oil. :ohmy:
So before I take my new/used L-03K to my local luthier, I thought I would go ahead and treat the fretboard before taking it to him, and then doing one more treatment just before taking it to him. Boy does this stuff smell! :crying: But does it work too! :bgrin:
One thing of advice: do NOT get this stuff on your strings(I was going to change them anyways) b/c it will absolutely kill your strings dead. I went to play it last night after an earlier treatment with the oil and of course the oil go onto the strings. Wow, it was like playing dead wood.
So a word from the wiser: treat your board without the strings on. I even used a Q Tip to apply but by wiping off the oil, it go onto the strings and end of story. :crying:
Tonight I will remove the strings, treat the fretboard and then use 0000 steel wool to remove any deposits per Petros instructions.

Yes, you want to wipe off as much of the oil as you are able to.
I apply this about once a year. I take the strings off, 0000 steel wool the fingerboard, then apply a bit of oil with a soft cloth. I spend at least as much time wiping it off as I do wiping it on.
(and it does have a strong odor, to be sure.)

Guitarman - you may be overdoing it.  Remember, Larrivee does not really recommend using fingerboard oil, saying that the oil from you fingertips should be all an ebony fretborad needs.  However, I, like others who have posted previously on this topic, rarely get above the 5th fret.

This is how I apply it - put one drop on about every 4th fret.  Dab it with your finger and apply it the other naked frets to get an even LIGHT amount on each fret.  Then go back through and rub it in just a little.  Then, take a clean rag a rub it off.  If you apply too much, after a few minutes you will notice some of the oil wicking up from the frets - so don't over apply. 

"A little dab'l do ya"

Hey!  :+1:

Glad I saw this thread. I  just used the last of my Ken Smith Oil/Wax on one of my basses rosewood fingerboards this past weekend and need a new supply.

I went ahead and ordered the Petros 'Trifecta' ; Rubbing Compound/Polish/FB Oil off his Ebay page. Not sure I'll ever use the rubbing compound, but I need the polish for a couple of the mandolins... so went ahead and pulled the trigger. 

I agree with never having to use oil on an ebony, or other similar hardwood board. I've only ever used a soft cloth lightly moistened with warm water. A couple of my upright basses have required doing it a couple times before they came clean, but that's all they ever needed.

Hardwood, aside from being naturally oily, isn't very porous and any externally applied oil doesn't soak in very readily. This has been my experience, anyway.

That's why I use Howard's Feed and Wax (I get it thru Elderly Instruments); it has beeswax and orange oil--smells great and makes that fingerboard (and bridge) fantastic...but I also use it just twice a year.

I just use double boiled linseed oil. A slight dab and then promptly cleaned up. Need to keep it away from the finish though if using it on the bridge.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Chasjax on September 22, 2011, 01:31:57 PM
Guitarman - you may be overdoing it.  Remember, Larrivee does not really recommend using fingerboard oil, saying that the oil from you fingertips should be all an ebony fretborad needs. 

With all do respect to Jean, not everyone has oil coming out of their fingers. Also if you have heavy callouses your fingertip is probably not touching much of the fingerboard anyway. Using a little oil sparingly once or twice a year certainly can't harm anything and it makes the fingerboard look nice. Does it need it, probably not but if it makes you happy go for it.
Some people let the rain wash thier car too.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

:donut :coffee Well, I've followed everyone's directions here with regard to my original posting about fingerboard oil.
Last night I removed the strings and lightly 0000 steel wooled the fingerboard--lightly. Then I applied the Petros oil as directed/recommended. After letting is soak in for about ten minutes, which it did soak in and did not sit on the surface, I wiped, and wiped and wiped and wiped the excess off. An hour later I wiped and wiped and wiped the fretboard. It came out really nice and there is ZERO residue left and nothing wicking up from the frets. I did NOT do the bridge or headstock--no reason to. So I think I'm good to go now for another year. :nana_guitar
But I will say it really did come out nicely and has a very low sheen to it now. I really do think it was dry and needed a drink.
Thanks for all the conversation on the subject and links too. :thumb

I use Lizard Spit from Elderly Instruments about 2x per year on all of my fretboards; ebony and rosewood.  Never made strings dead and you can see it soak into the fretboard.  From the way it smells, it's either orange oil based or lemon oil based.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I have seen several guitars with split/dried out bridges that have lead me to also use oil on the bridge whenever I treat my fingerboard. It seals and preserves the wood where it otherwise is not protected by a factory finish.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Scott, I use the Lizard Spit too(made in Mich!); as a gloss finish polish (I was told this is what they use in the repair shop at Elderly as that finishing touch [pun intended] when leaving the shop)...
I wonder how they get those lizards to cooperate  :rolleye: