Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compressor for live gigs?  (Read 920 times)
AdventureGuide

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2011, 08:56:20 PM »

I am looking for a compressor to use at live "pub" gigs.  I am wanting to even out the sound of the guitar so that all of the parts can be heard in a noisy pub or coffeehouse.  I am not worried about losing the acoustic nuances of the performance.  These are sing-a-long songs, not concert performances.  I just need to balance out the sound levels.  So, what can you recommend?  A pedal-style stompbox would be ideal. 

I am playing a Larrivee J-10 (rosewood) with the LRBaggs Anthem pickup.  It sounds great, but I still will need to compress the sound a little at gigs.

Thanks!

Jim

Larrivee J-10-Koa "The Goddess"
Larrivee J-10-FM (Custom "Larrivee and Vine" Headstock Inlay)
Larrivee J-10 (w/Celtic Knot Headstock Inlay)
Larrivee Parlour - Mahogany

See "The Goddess" at www.mccrain.net/koa.
SMixon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »

Hello,
  I'm not sure if you're wanting a pedal style compressor or a rack mounted style, but it you are looking for a stompbox effect style I would HIGHLY recommend www.jhspedals.com  They have an awesome Compressor and they also have mods that are dong to other name brands.  I just ordered a dyna comp modded compressor from them for just over $100.00 that will get me close to that old grey box sound.  I'm not sure If this helps at all.   Just my .02

Also, You may or may not need compression for acoustic stuff, but like you said to even it out sure.  Just all in what you want.  I primarily use compression on my electric stuff only.  But an acoustic compressed well sounds awesome!

Taylor 512
Fender 2013 American Standard Telecaster
Vintage Gibson J-45
Therdrail Amp
Carvin Nomad Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 10:44:22 PM »

I bought a Peavey ADI-C on the recommendation of a friend and my gosh what a difference.  It has a built in compressor threshold control and noise gate threshold control and is powered by 48V phantom power from the Amp/Soundboard.  With just a little compression dialed in on this active direct interface, what a difference.
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: