Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RS-2 finish question  (Read 2260 times)
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2011, 01:13:47 AM »

Hi all,

Did Larrivee ever make a wine red or a really dark cherry red RS-2 with a gloss finish ? Does anyone have info or pics of current, or past, RS-2 finishes, gloss or satin. 

I suppose what I'm really asking is for owners to post some pics of their guitars 

gotpics?
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:51:25 AM »

Here's one with humbuckers:

http://www.guitaradoptions.com/larrivee-rs2-electric-guitar-in-trans-red.html

and another with P-90s:

http://www.guitaradoptions.com/larrivee-rs2_p90-electric-guitar-in-trans-red.html

drool

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 06:45:14 PM »

Thanks for the links.

Did the first RS-2s have a gloss or satin finish ? From what I've seen the newest version is a satin finish with a pickguard, not really diggin' the pickguard though, and the first models were gloss finish. Is that correct or have I got it backwards. ( some would say I've got it all backwards as I play left handed    ).

Which brings me to another point .. there does seem to be a lot of lefty Larrivee electrics around 
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 06:58:13 PM »

The original RS2 were Gloss and some ( Because of Mileymac's Request) were satin towards the end of that run. The new RS2 are satin BUT that's not to say there are none in gloss

The pickguard I too at 1st wasn't to crazy about it but find it's kinda growing on me

Yes there does seem to be a fair amount of electrics for lefties around not sure of the reasons BUT I'm guessing the RS lefties were designed for lefties by a leftie NOT just switched around in reverse like many makers do. I'm sure our resident lefties can share more on that subject than can I

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 07:19:56 PM »

The original RS-2 (or the RS-2/version I ???) have gloss bodies and satin finished necks. Bodies are various stains/colors, *most/all* of the necks are finished in natural satin. I made a special request for an all satin finish on mine (mine is amber tint on the body). Neck on mine is also untinted/natural. When Matthew did mine he thought it turned out pretty sweet, and said he might have to do some more of them. I don't know if any more of the version I RS-2's were done in satin (another lefty one that was accidently shipped to my dealer with all my same specs has a gloss body - so mine may be the only verison I in satin).

Doing mine in satin may have given Matthew an idea, or it may have simply been a confirmation of something Larrivee was already thinking about doing: that is, making the RS-2 an all satin model. This makes sense for several reasons (including differentiating the RS-2 and the RS-4 even more), but economically, it means Larrivee doesn't have to buff out the finish, saving time/labor, and I suspect materials (since I *think" more coats of poly are required for a buffed finish).

Larrivee has always been lefty friendly since Jean himself is left-handed (although I'm pretty sure he plays right-handed). Larrivee goes the extra mile on its lefty electrics; all the pots are true lefty pots and even the knobs have "lefty" numbering on them so that they 'work' and 'read' properly. I truly appreciate this extra touch - which comes at no extra charge, unlike many other companies - if they even offer left-handed models!

A couple pics of my RS-2 so you can see the difference in finish between the body and neck:

[attachment deleted by admin]

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »

I stand corrected; there is at least ONE OTHER all satin RS-2/version I out there: it's at Jerry's Lefty Guitars (no affiliation). It's the same color as mine, but it has humbuckers instead of P-90's. Here's the link:

http://www.jerrysleftyguitars.com/larrivee_guitars/larrivee-rs-2-sat-amber-lefty.html

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »

Thanks again for the pics and links. I'm veering towards a gloss finish model but it seems that the new version is only available in satin  blush In general I'm not a fan of covering up the wood with a pickguard so I'll have to wait for some further info before I make a decision.
keller8191

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »

How many white Rs2's were made with p-90's anyone know thanks
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 06:44:46 PM »

Thanks again for the pics and links. I'm veering towards a gloss finish model but it seems that the new version is only available in satin  blush In general I'm not a fan of covering up the wood with a pickguard so I'll have to wait for some further info before I make a decision.

The redesigned RS-2 looks like the pickguard isn't attached with screws, so it might be pretty easy to take it off - or order one with the pickgaurd in the case rather than attached, and you can decide later.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 12:54:21 AM »

The redesigned RS-2 looks like the pickguard isn't attached with screws, so it might be pretty easy to take it off - or order one with the pickgaurd in the case rather than attached, and you can decide later.

I emailed Larrivee sales and asked if a non pickguard RS-2 with a gloss finish was an option, the reply was that both options are available on the new 2011 RS-2 at no upcharge.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 06:26:41 AM »

I emailed Larrivee sales and asked if a non pickguard RS-2 with a gloss finish was an option, the reply was that both options are available on the new 2011 RS-2 at no upcharge.

Cool - what color do you want?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 11:20:08 AM »

I'm not 100% sure that I like the new 2011 RS-2, more specifically the one piece bridge, I would prefer the separate bridge and tail piece. I think.  rolleye

And to be completely honest the first thing I would do would be to have the pickups changed to hum cancelling / noise free P-90s  cop  ohmy  bigrin

I'm in Ireland, and over here standard light bulbs were banned a couple of years ago and compact fluorescent bulbs are the only ones available, and that means only one thing ..... noise.   crying

I had my Heritage 137s pickups replaced with Fralin hum cancelling P-90s and they are most excellent pickups indeed. The guitar's not too shabby either !

Gratuitous pic ..

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 06:28:26 PM »

Oooo...that's nice! 

The only thing I've wondered about with the "dogear" P-90 design is that you can't adjust the pickup up and down...at least with the "soapbar" P-90 you have some adjustment.

Sorry to hear about the mandatory light situation...they're trying to bring that here (thanks, Al and Barack), but we don't want it! Too expensive, and along with the noise factor for musicians, they're actually less green when you have to dispose of them (and also the manufacture of them, from what I've heard). Stoo-pid politicians and tree huggers!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: