Anyone had difficulty contacting Larrivee recently?

Started by ewalling, February 26, 2011, 08:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2011, 12:38:43 PM
I've had several transactions with Dave Schmidt & always enjoyed excellent service from Guitar Adoptions.

I completely agree with this statement.

Quote from: Strings4Him on February 28, 2011, 05:09:21 PM
I completely agree with this statement.

I'll third that statement.  I got one of my most unique Larrivee guitars from him, and I also got the Pinapple Princess from GA.

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 28, 2011, 04:26:38 PM
"Is there something I should (sic) that might account for this seemingly cavalier  attitude?"

Yes, there's something you should. You should apologize for being wrong and assuming a falsehood.

I'll let your misguided aggression pass and just say this: if someone makes a verbal commitment to respond to customer messages the following day at the latest and then fails to do so, not just on that following day but for the entire week and without any explanation, I don't think it overly harsh to say that this is 'seemingly cavalier', at the very least. I'm not saying that I was necessarily owed immediate attention, but when an expectation is raised and then inexplicably frustrated, that's when the heckles can rise.

Quote from: ewalling on February 28, 2011, 11:19:07 PM
I'll let your misguided aggression pass and just say this: if someone makes a verbal commitment to respond to customer messages the following day at the latest and then fails to do so, not just on that following day but for the entire week and without any explanation, I don't think it overly harsh to say that this is 'seemingly cavalier', at the very least. I'm not saying that I was necessarily owed immediate attention, but when an expectation is raised and then inexplicably frustrated, that's when the heckles can rise.

I agree with you on this, and apparently Matthew does, too. Now duck is the one who's being cavalier (sorry duck, but 'tis true...).

When you've spent a big chunk of money on a high end instrument, and then it has to be replaced, and THEN you can't get any information about when it will be done, you have every right to be frustrated. I've been in your shoes (although not with Larrivee, with other builders)...many of us here have, and it's maddening. You do wish you'd just ordered from someone else. Hopefully once all is resolved you WON'T feel that way!

Good luck (and I mean that in a good way)!  :thumb 
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 01, 2011, 01:07:08 AM
When you've spent a big chunk of money on a high end instrument, and then it has to be replaced, and THEN you can't get any information about when it will be done, you have every right to be frustrated. I've been in your shoes (although not with Larrivee, with other builders)...many of us here have, and it's maddening. You do wish you'd just ordered from someone else. Hopefully once all is resolved you WON'T feel that way!

Well said!  I've been in your shoes - although my dealings with Larrivee and GA have been excellent.  The initial few weeks is one of the best things about a new guitar.  Hope you can put all this behind you and just enjoy what should be a great instrument.

Quote from: ewalling on February 28, 2011, 11:19:07 PM

What the hack are heckles?

"Misguided aggression?"  Wow.....dramatic stuff.

Thanks for those comments, Mikey and Norton. I'm sure these issues will be resolved and I greatly appreciated Mathew's post. As I said before, I'm a Larrivee fan and a faithful Guitar Adoptions customer - this is the fourth Larrivee I've bought from Dave Schmidt. And when this hiccup is resolved I look forward to being both a fan and a customer once more.

Quote from: Walkerman on March 01, 2011, 07:28:11 AM
What the hack are heckles?

that's what I get from the audience when I get up on stage.

Quote from: Queequeg on March 01, 2011, 09:21:09 AM
that's what I get from the audience when I get up on stage.

LOL! Gotta love levity!

Listen, when my brother and I were little and my Dad warned us that his heckles were rising ( :mad:), do you think we waited around and insisted on a precise definition?!

Could be an example of British English. Then again, it could simply be an ignorant misuse of the English language!

Quote from: ewalling on March 01, 2011, 10:23:01 AM
Listen, when my brother and I were little and my Dad warned us that his heckles were rising ( :mad:), do you think we waited around and insisted on a precise definition?!

Could be an example of British English. Then again, it could simply be an ignorant misuse of the English language!
Maybe your dad was thinking of the idiom:
to get one's hackles up-
(To be extremely insulted or irritated.)
But then I never knew your dad....

Quote from: Queequeg on March 01, 2011, 10:44:53 AM
Maybe your dad was thinking of the idiom:
to get one's hackles up-
(To be extremely insulted or irritated.)
But then I never knew your dad....

!Hackles' - that must be it! Looks like I've been erogenous in my attempt at a neat phrase! I'd guess that the boo-boo is mine rather than my father's; he's edjicated, like ...

Quote from: ewalling on March 01, 2011, 11:32:30 AM
!Hackles' - that must be it! Looks like I've been erogenous in my attempt at a neat phrase! I'd guess that the boo-boo is mine rather than my father's; he's edjicated, like ...

If you think this conversation is erogenous, then you've reallllllllllllllly got some issues.  Th old saying is "if you find yourself in a hole, quit digging."  :roll

Do guitars have erogenous zones?  For example a "G-spot"?  Or just a G string?   :blush:
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Reading this thread has gotten my "hackles" raised.  I wish I could get those 15 minutes back (there goes my chance of being famous  :winkin: ).

You have a problem with Dave as he sold you the guitar, and you air all your dirty laundry for all of us to see and smell  :wacko:

I've dealt with both and have nothing but positive memories concerning my exchanges.  Some of us live in the real world and are not at our computers/cell phones 24/7.  I bet there are even a few here that play their guitars once in a while  :tongue:

I would recommend re-reading what you are about to post and ask yourself if it makes sense, or if it will annoy a bunch of people.  I wish they included that in spell check.

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

".....You have a problem with Dave as he sold you the guitar, and you air all your dirty laundry for all of us to see and smell ....."

That's my gripe in a nutshell.  What were we supposed to do about his situation? IMO, posts like his are just flaming trolls.....especially given the thread title.

Quote from: Johnny M on March 01, 2011, 02:12:38 PM
Reading this thread has gotten my "hackles" raised.  I wish I could get those 15 minutes back (there goes my chance of being famous  :winkin: ).

You have a problem with Dave as he sold you the guitar, and you air all your dirty laundry for all of us to see and smell  :wacko:

I've dealt with both and have nothing but positive memories concerning my exchanges.  Some of us live in the real world and are not at our computers/cell phones 24/7.  I bet there are even a few here that play their guitars once in a while  :tongue:

I would recommend re-reading what you are about to post and ask yourself if it makes sense, or if it will annoy a bunch of people.  I wish they included that in spell check.

John

Okay, John, I've taken up your recommendation and re-read the thread - still makes sense to me, I'm afraid. And while we're making free with unwanted advice, I'd suggest that you ask yourself whether the people you say are in a hackle-heightened state are really justified in holding me responsible. This is an instrument forum and such places exist partly so that people can air their musical laundry, be this fragrant or niffy. If I'd opened a thread waxing lyrical about the immaculate treatment I'd received, would you have accused me of airing my lilywhite laundry in public? The 'real world', as you put it, includes both positive and negative experiences and by recognizing only the good, do you really think you are 'living in the real world?

If a person feels aggrieved in some way in their purchase of a Larrivee guitar, I think it is perfectly legiitimate and reasonable for them to open a thread on a Larrivee forum and ask whether this is a one-off or a trend. I'm reasonably satisfied by a number of responses here that this is, in fact, a one-off. I also think that posts in which people say they've had dealings with a company and things were perfect don't always add up to a lot; it's how they react when things don't fall into place that really sets a great company above the others, in my view.

Quote from: Walkerman on March 01, 2011, 02:21:17 PM
That's my gripe in a nutshell.  What were we supposed to do about his situation? IMO, posts like his are just flaming trolls.....especially given the thread title.

I agree that this is the kind of issue that a dealer ought to deal with...but since ewalling wasn't getting any satisfaction there...he brought it to the forum for advice. Seems reasonable to me.

Then Matthew L came on and provided some relief and satisfaction to the situation. I think that's more than ewalling had hoped for when he wrote that first post.

Now Matthew only has himself to blame if we see more of this kind of thread due to the positive reinforcement....

:whistling:
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on March 01, 2011, 01:51:42 PM
Do guitars have erogenous zones?  For example a "G-spot"?  Or just a G string?   :blush:

Maybe thats why the harmonics are sooooooooooooo sweet in open G tuning :bgrin:

The simple lesson I learned from this is that I would be extremely cautious about buying from GA - It's doesn't take a great retailer to take a great product from a manufacturer, charge more money for it, and then slap a shipping label on it and ship it off to a customer. You define a great retailer by their actions when the customer has a problem, or receives a product that doesn't meet their expectations. You hope it doesn't happen, but it does occasionally, and great retailers prove their worth by how they deal with it. And stories like this help potential new customers become aware of some dealers - regardless of their volume - who are happy to keep their money and but not willing to make any effort if there is a problem.

This is not the first time I've read on this forum about a very similar situation with the same dealer - and Larrivee has stepped up again and taken care of it ( which is a mark of a great company ), but in the meantime the customer is left hanging without their money or the guitar they thought they were buying. And maybe it's the forums involvement that's part of how it gets taken care of - I can't speculate.

But I am glad that the customer will end up getting the guitar they wanted and will be happy - and if telling the story here helped make that happen, then its not a bad thing.
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -