What have you done.PARTSCASTER'S

Started by unclrob, February 25, 2011, 08:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been wanting a hardtail strat for a while now.  I ordered and just received this body and neck from USACG.  I ordered the ebony fretboard with micro dots because I wanted something unique and also as a nod to my Larrivee acoustics.  The neck is a slightly thicker C profile with a 12" radius.  I've swapped necks, pickups, tried different wiring schemes in the past but never finished a raw body like this.  Been reading all I can about how to go about it.  Got some ash scraps from a specialty lumberyard to experiment with.  

Here is the finish I'm shooting for...

Larrivee4me,
That is an awesome color.  Very similiar to my "Wine Red" LP Studio.  I love how it looks on mine and I think it will look great on that strat body.

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Cool thread. I currently have 3 partsacasters: 2 Strats (one soon to be reworked for humbuckers) and an Esquire I have setup for slide. My #1 is a Daphne blue body that was sold to me as Squier, but I have my doubts; super lightweight (under 4#s), no screwholes for backplate. The finish is incredibly thin and she is relic-ing herself in a very cool way. The neck is from an even more dubious source; a Swampacaster. Both Strats are configured for 7 way switching, and tone controls on neck and bridge.
Blue currently has Carvin AP11s but they will be swapped for my new fave Tonerider City Limits once I do the humbucker installation. The Esquire is a pig; heavy Lake Placidish blue import body, cheap but functional neck. It does however deliver sonically thanks to a Harmonic Design S90.

And I know I'd rather see pictures than read, so I'll stop typing now and get some pictures up.

I believe my 80's strat was and American Standard at some point.  The original neck was broken.  The nicest Mighty Mite Maple neck with Skunk Stripe replaced it.(Amazing neck)
Pickups and pickguard were replaced with Dimarzio Area Pickups(noiseless) Area 58(neck) 67(middle) 61(bridge)
Wiring.... Volume standard, Tone 1 neck only, tone 2 bridge only.  Middle pickup wide open
Pots and wiring etc were all custom done. 
Sunburst finish and a legit road worn look!
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

This is no where near as nice as the rest of the ones here.  But, here is a strat style guitar that I made/put together several years ago.  It was originally a Saga Music S-style kit.  I sanded and sanded and sanded the body, finished it in a natural style, replaced the neck, the tuners, and the pickups.  It plays well and sounds pretty good for what it is.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Larrivee 00-40R

It looks nice!!!
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

I agree that's a good looking guitar, WileE.   If I do another one some day, I'm going to do it in a natural finish too.

Kurt

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on March 03, 2011, 04:01:03 PM
I agree that's a good looking guitar, WileE.   If I do another one some day, I'm going to do it in a natural finish too.

Kurt

Thanks.  It would look a lot better if it was solid.  It's a little difficult to see but, it is actually three or four pieces.
Larrivee 00-40R

Quote from: WileE on March 05, 2011, 03:47:26 PM
Thanks.  It would look a lot better if it was solid.  It's a little difficult to see but, it is actually three or four pieces.

Many USA Strats are 2 or even 3 piece bodies. The MIM's with solid finishes are often 5 to 7 pieces. So yours is nothing to be ashamed of in that respect.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I wouldn't have noticed the pieces if you hadn't mentioned it.  Probably more evident in person, I suppose.  Looks good in any case.

Kurt