Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think Larrivee should do a "Gibson scale" electric ... *discuss*  (Read 1289 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my RS-4 and RS-2/P-90. They are excellent guitars with wonderful tones. I just know that the scale length DOES change the tone somewhat - and the playability (which doesn't bother me - most of my guitars are 25.5" scale length)...

...and I think a Larrivee - with the quality of it's build and it's pickups - in Gibson scale length would be an amazing sounding and playing guitar...and actually, the shorter scale length would also fit the RS body proportions very nicely, too.

Discuss...

...and...

...what say you, Larrivee?   bowdown

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:06:09 PM »

Well, you could always ... buy a Gibson.   
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 10:37:08 PM »

Sure why not, looks like you may have had a bit of a paradigm shift as your post on the Tele thread:

why should Larrivee reinvent the wheel? What can they add to the Telecaster formula that hasn't been done already (or that Fender isn't already doing in triplicate - what with so many Tele and Strat models in their production lines at every price point)?

I suspect this is why Larrivee WON'T be doing something like this. Fender has more than covered all the Tele and Strat bases... JMHO

Kinda thru me      

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 11:17:46 PM »

Well, you could always ... buy a Gibson.   

Hah! Yeah, I could - and almost did this year. But I have a nice Epiphone Elitist LP that is as nice as the Les Paul Traditional that I almost traded for.

I just thought it would give Larrivee another way to market these wonderful guitars. I know for lots of folks who are looking at an LP/double humbucker set neck style guitar, they only want the 24.75" scale length. They can't seem to make the switch to a Fender scale length on this style guitar. I just think it would increase sales. And on the acoustic forum, I see lots of questions about shorter scale lengths for some models (like 00 or OM or a longer parlor) so this isn't just an electric discussion.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 03:41:27 AM »

Fender had a tele thinline from Indonessa that was produced in the Gibson scale.Neat guitar.Maybe something in a chambered body but the same body style of the RS4.Not that the RS4 is heavey but it might be cool,maybe a cateye's F hole.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
macsmojado

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 04:32:00 AM »

REV,

I have to agree with JOYCEfromNS! If you want that scale length get the GIBBY!! You aren't
going to hurt anyone's feelings if you buy a LP! Hey if you can get one before 2007 you will
have one without the chambered body! I plan to get myself a GIBBY LP down the road and
it will be PRE-2007 with the solid body and not chambered! I just played two of the best
sounding most resonant "HB and P-90" electrics that I have put in my hand besides the RS-4!
wacko

Guys if you love the old LES PAUL JR's with a single P-90 or 2/P-90's you have got to check
out the PRAIRIEWOOD  "Midwesterner",KAUER "Daylighter;s" and the BRIAN MONTY "Rockmaster
I and II"!! These guitars are nothing short of amazing and I mean in build quality,playability and
most of all tone!!

Chris Staton of "THE AMPHOUSE" in SCOTTSBORO,AL has 6 BRIAN MONTY'S and 3 PRAIRIEWOOD
MIDWESTERNER'S at his AMP/GUITAR SHOWROOM! Chris can get any color or option that is offered
from these 2 "SUPERB BUILDERS" and he has 3 KAUER "Daylighter's" with a single custom wound
WOLFETONE P-90 that are "AMPHOUSE EXCLUSIVE MODELS" coming! I know everyone is excited
about the Larrivee RS-2's but these other 3 "Boutique Built" guitars are all going to raise the bar
for a P-90 style LP guitar! They do carry higher price tags but they aren't not really that much more
expensive than the RS-2's! The Prairiewood MIDWESTERNER has a LOLLAR P-90 in the bridge and
a custom Fralin Single Coil in the neck called the "BISCUIT Pickup" and they sound "RIDICULOUSLY
GOOD"!!

Give CHRIS STATON a call if you are in the market for a "REINHARDT,65AMP,GERMINO,REASON,
MATCHLESS,TUNGSTEN, JACKSON AMPWORKS and will soon have CARR AMPS AND SWART AMPS
to go along with the others I have listed!

I know this is a "SHAMELESS PLUG" but Chris Staton has really layed it one the line to carry "PREMIERE
BOUTIQUE AMPS and GUITARS in his really unique "PERSONAL SHOWROOM" (NOT A MUSIC STORE)!
He will turn flips and bend over backwards to accomodate you in any way he can! As nice a guy as
I have ever dealt with when it comes to buying "GUITARS AND AMPS"!!

Mac

Mac Baker
KenHolden

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:35:35 PM »

I'd like to see the shorter scale as an option for both electrics and acoustics. Hopefully it wouldn't result in much of an upcharge for the changes. Larrivee does have the ability to make the shorter scale guitars, but I think it comes down to the matter of if they want to, or if there is enough of a demand for it.

Changing the scale on an electric would mean a shorter neck, but also moving the bridge closer to the neck.

Martin did a run of short scale D-18's, and it was a very hefty price jump on the guitars.

Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 06:32:35 AM »

Mac,

I almost bought a Traditional Les Paul recently, but I just couldn't do it; the fretwork was so rough and I hate Gibson's "square top" frets (some people call them "school bus top" frets)! I don't care if Gibson does claim they've been plek'd, they're like railroad ties...I like my Epi Elitist's fretwork a whole lot better.

I'm glad I changed my mind, because I got my RS-2 P-90 instead, and kept my wonderful Elitist. I played both the RS-2 and RS-4 for a couple hours tonight, and they are such quality, great playing, great sounding guitars that I think a 24.75" scale version of each would be so much nicer than *many* (certainly not all) Gibsons...JMHO.

And, I was wrong about the Larrivee Tele thing, since they made that signature Seymour Duncan Tele (a very limited - and expensive - run). So who knows if there will be more of those to come?

With the economy the way it is right now, I'm sure Larrivee is exploring all avenues for keeping the doors open and food on the table, just like they did in the '80's when they first started building electrics.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:35:35 AM »

With the economy the way it is right now, I'm sure Larrivee is exploring all avenues for keeping the doors open and food on the table, just like they did in the '80's when they first started building electrics.

Tho the economy may be similar to the 80's and Larrivee is building electrics again I see one big difference and that would be Matt LARRIVEE's passion for electric guitars and their pickups. Its well known Larrivee started building electrics in the 80's to survive, I don't think that's why they started this time for a few reasons:
1. they started before the economy went south
2. the over-the-top quality of the RS 4 & their PUPS
3. Matt LARRIVEE's passion and commitment to Electric Guitars. Make no mistake friends tho Jean still has a strong hand in the build I believe his son was blessed with the same skill BUT brings the passion and luv of the electric to the table something that really wasn't present at Larrivee in the 80's.

I sure hope Larrivee considers to further develop the Larrivee Tele style for us masses. Larrivee Electrics are here to stay they do them too well not to be

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 06:18:12 PM »

I sure hope Larrivee considers to further develop the Larrivee Tele style for us masses.

Larrivee Electrics are here to stay they do them too well not to be

And that's a good thing! A very good thing! 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: