Johnny Winter coming to town

Started by bearsville0, January 26, 2011, 12:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So this Saturday I have tickets to see Johnny Winter down the road at the Bearsville Theater. Can't wait. He looks pretty frail in recent pictures . Can the guy still play?
If it sounds good, it is good.

Yup, he can still play although he can hardly walk.  He is very frail.  I saw a youtube video not long ago where he was playing (Hwy 61, I think) and his amp started smoking and then caught fire.  He continued to play while the techs put out the fire and plugged him into another amp.  Crowd went wild as you might imagine.

Let us know how you like the show

Quote from: tuffythepug on January 26, 2011, 12:09:30 PM

Let us know how you like the show

Will do. It's a small theater with a great sound system.

Yes, that's my experience, too (as Tuffy has said).
I've seen him a number of times over the years, most recently about 2 years ago. He played seated throughout the evening's performance and he's more reserved now, like the old blues guy he has become. None of the pyrotechnics of a few decades ago.
Still a good show.
edit:
(perhaps a poor word choice on my part, particularly if you consider the amplifier fire as "pyrotechnics ").

I saw him a while back on a Sunday evening. He was very good. Started precisely at ten, finished his one encore at quarter to eleven and would not play another song. Guess he'd rather watch T.V. on a Sunday night.  :doh

Well, if he resembles this in any way, I'll be happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tyg5SJDpiQ&feature=related

I would luv to see Johnny WINTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 26, 2011, 08:49:35 PM
Well, if he resembles this in any way, I'll be happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tyg5SJDpiQ&feature=related

Imagine if he had an RS 4  tho that little Epi sounds fine. Shows what talent can do.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on January 26, 2011, 09:00:25 PM
Imagine if he had an RS 4  tho that little Epi sounds fine. Shows what talent can do.

That little Epi with the New Yorker PUPS ( Minis) would cost one more than $10000 if ya can find one BTW, he doesn't have that Epi by accident!!!!

He'll be great. True blues rocker til he takes his last breath. He always looked frail even 35 years ago when I saw him close up. After 45 years on the road or whatever I'm sure he looks like he's about to fall apart but I guarentee he'll rock.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

He rocked big time!   :bgrin:

It took me about five songs in to adjust my hearing to how loud it was but as he started into Ray Charles' "Blackjack" I was high and it just kept getting better.

I closed my eyes and let the wall of sound take over. You'd never know the guy was frail he sounded so good. Great backup band although the vocals were a bit muddy through the PA system. Songs I recognized were Meantown Blues, Johnny B Good, Got my MoJo Working, Red House and It's All Over Now.

Came back for a three song encore on slide guitar with the Firebird that included Dust My Broom and Highway 61. Excellent Highway 61!

Very satisfying and I think I learned something more about music tonight.  The show started at 9:30, finished at 11pm and the encore took it to 11:15.

What's also cool is it only took me less than ten minutes to get home. Hooray for local music. $25 tickets was all it cost. My ears are still ringing.

Oh yea, and don't forget to take ear plugs!
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.