Gotoh 510's on a 00-03R

Started by zpcm04, January 22, 2011, 06:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

There were a couple threads at the end of the year discussing tuner upgrades.

I mentioned then that I was planning to go with full size Gotoh 510's on my 00-03R.  I could not find pictures that showed what the larger tuners looked like on the smaller 00, so thought I would post these for anyone considering such an upgrade.

I should note that these were not a drop in replacement.  I did have to drill new mounting holes for the screws.  However, much of the hole is covered by the tuner body.  The old holes are visible in the picture of the back of the headstock.  I may fill them during a future string change, but for now I don't even notice.

I say it looks great! How do you like the difference?
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

I believe it was a worth while upgrade.

The tuners are smoother and way more accurate than the OEM pings.  Since this is my only guitar I want to be able to switch between tunings.  Dropped tunings with the OEM tuners was more of a hit or miss affair on the bass E.

I went with the standard large buttons, for the better feel in my hand.  They do add a little more weight to the headstock, but not so much to throw off the balance of the guitar.

Btw, I bought them from Scott at DOMO, Intl.  He was great to work with and had a great price.

Hi all.  Nice to log into the forum after being away for awhile.  Lost my mom mid December and dad is failing. Just a couple of weeks after getting my forum III, I put standard 510's on her. Like them a bunch. I got the satin gold with black buttons. I left the silver bushings from the pings in for some contrast. I think they go well with the Larrivee logo on the headstock. I have a bit less of the original holes showing and don't notice any extra weight problems. Here are a couple of pics for you. I also glossed the headstock before installing the Gotohs.

[attachment deleted by admin]
PO5 MT Larrivee Parlor (sold darn it)
Hog Weissenborn Lap Slide
Republic Reso-Relic Tricone
Stew-Mac A-Style Mandolin (Kit)

They look nice Hogtop.  Sorry to hear about your parents.   :coffee
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"