Steel String Preferences for Fingerstyle Guitar

Started by rwskaggs, January 21, 2011, 11:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've read a bunch and tried a bunch of acoustic strings for fingerstyle.  Just came across this article by John Standefer (Fingerstyle Guitarist and Teacher - check him out on Youtube)

Link:  http://www.johnstandefer.com/askjohn.asp

Basically he says, "I personally like .012 (light) gauge strings the best and I use D'Addario phosphor sets (EJ-16)...."   ....and then he goes on to explain his reasons.

After you've read the link, tell me "wadda YOU think" :doh?  I know the group doesn't lack strong opinions on strings! :roll

RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar + Italian double top
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning

The D'Addario PBs are good strings and I MUCH prefer the light gauge (.012-.054). My favorite BRAND of string is the Curt Mangan Fusion Matched strings (80/20 or PB). I know most of the people on this forum like mediums but they're not for me.

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

I'm probably the exception to the rule. I generally use D'addarios PB mediums and lights [EJ17s or 16s]. I also buy the John Pearse equivalents of these. Honestly, it doesn't make much difference to me. I tried silk/steel years ago and hated those and never went back. I tried Elixirs and didn't like the way the coating peeled right off of them, but aside from that, I don't think it makes much difference (to me). But then, I can drink both Coke and/or Pepsi without declaring one or the other of them to be toxic waste.
:cheers

I find that strings just get in the way of the hole.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Dang those strings, Roger!
RW, I use GHS True Mediums b/c I play 90% of the time in DADGAD--fingerstyle.  The gauge for this set is designed for this tuning.  Sometimes the thicker-ness (!?) gets to me, but I am pretty used to it after 3 yrs.--and they sure do give a nice depth to my Larrivees.
I used to swear by EXP Lights, and I also like the EJ16. Hope that is something to go on.

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on January 21, 2011, 03:54:32 PM
I find that strings just get in the way of the hole.

Ummmmm......OK.  I guess I don't really want to know more about your relationship.. :humour:
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2

I set the action on my guitars to whichever gauge gives them their best response. My preference is to play .012s but all of my current guitars sound better with .013s so that's what's on them.

Quote from: rwskaggs on January 21, 2011, 05:46:31 PM

Ummmmm......OK.  I guess I don't really want to know more about your relationship.. :humour:

My what naughty thoughts you have.

It just makes it hard for the kitties to get inside.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on January 21, 2011, 10:35:13 PM
My what naughty thoughts you have.

It just makes it hard for the kitties to get inside.

Not necessarily naughty thoughts....just a soupcon of caution in dealing with the 12 note obsessed individuals here!

RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

cute picture, I just slapped on a set of DR Sunbeams. They are easy on the fingers and very clean sounding. The only down side is the low tention makes drops tunings a bit buzzy. 13's may solve the problem. In the end Daddarios always work for me.
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

Other than the occasional experiment with a pick, I only play finger style and I prefer Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum Bronze light.  They are definitely pricey, but try as I might to like other strings, I keep coming back to these.  I tried to stick with D'Addario EJ16's when I recently switched guitars to a Larrivee OM-50, but I already given in to going back to the TI's.

Another Sunbeam guy here, I do change out the 13 & 17 with 14's & 18's for my dread (don't even notice the difference in feel but I sure can in tone).
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

I really like Sunbeams too, on everything EXCEPT a Martin 0000-16 Custom (full gloss, ebony fretboard and bridge instead of Micarta, bone saddle). For some reason, the Sunbeams are really brash and obnoxious on that guitar, very different than anything else I've put them on. I tried both 12s and 13s, and hated both.

Other than that one guitar, Sunbeams are now my "go to" string, though I also use D'Addario PBs as a reference standard. On the Martin, I use the PB Light top / medium bottom "Bluegrass" set.