Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1983 Larrivee Bass  (Read 4195 times)
John Tate

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2011, 09:26:49 PM »

A childhhood friend of mine bought this bass in the early '80's at Richard's Rare Guitars, here in Vancouver. He recently dusted it off and asked me to reseach it. So, I've e-mailed Larrivee and now I'm posting on this forum to see who might know anything about it.
Unlike the most common Larrivee basses, this one has a 2+2 headstock, with a bolt-on neck and a larger body than their more common basses.
The body size is a little smaller than a Gibson Grabber. The logo on the headstock is also much 'rounder' than the usual.
Thanks very much !!!
I have pictures, but I can't seem to add them to this post.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:36:46 PM »

welcome John Tate

You will be able to post pics once you have 10 posts - A Forum Rule

Speaking of which give them ( Forum Rules ) a quick read ( takes 2 minutes)  

About your bass sounds like you have a model LB-2. Likely single piece maple neck, ebony fingerboard and an Alderbody. The headstock you mention was somewhat common in the early/mid 80's models

Looking forward to your pics so tell us more about yourself and the Bass so you can get to the pics as we luv pics here blush

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »

A couple pics of my Fretless from that era there were many headstock variants tho the 2 + 2 is less common

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:42:12 AM »

Here's mine. Its a pointy headstock...

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:00:01 AM »

Here is another style on one of mine.  I have seen at least 6 different bass head stock shapes.  I have even seen a double neck bass.  This head stock belongs to my sea foam green LB-2

Mike

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
John Tate

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »

That is exactly what his headstock looks like !!
I learned that I can't post any pictures of his bass on here, until I've done 10 posts of my own ... sorry guys.
But ... it looks as though we're drilling down far enough to figure out the details of this specific bass.
Anyone have any estimates on a value of the LB-2 basses ... specifically the 2+2 headstock version (as in the picture above) we're focusing in on ?

When we were in high school, he also had one exactly like Randy's blue one, pictured above ... hockey-stick headstock, EMGs, etc.. He sold it many years ago, when his daughters were born. His was a metallic gray color, exactly like the one that Dave Taylor (ex-Bryan Adams) had, back in the Reckless-era.

Thanks very much to all !!!
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:30:09 PM »

There is absolutely no premium attached to headstock variants that I am aware of. The value for an LB2 in the last couple years I have seen go for between $450 and $700 really depending on condition. Now are they worth more than that - yep they sure are, the hardware, wood and craftmanship are 2nd to none and play like a $2000 Bass.

Thus if you don't need to sell it don't!!!!!!! Unless of course you don't play it and don't really want it. The market is the market and these things are very much undervalued.

The last one just the other day on Ebay - a little more unusual than most:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260718066146&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Good Luck

Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:56:41 PM »

I second what JOYCEfromNS stated.  I feel that they are great instruments, greatly under valued.
FYI,  my LB-2 with the head stock pictured cost me approximately $400.

Mike

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 11:53:34 PM »

I got BAS!