New lower priced RS-2 specs and pics (announced at NAMM)

Started by Mikeymac, January 14, 2011, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I love the new (even more) lean towards a vintage vibe with this design. To me the pickguard looks sharp and fits the look of the guitar perfectly. I don't know if it'll be an option or whatever. But the design of the RS-2 has always been screaming for one, imo. The color options are also spectacular. I can't think of a better color than TV Yellow for a guitar like this. But Seafoam Green w/ a white pickguard/pickups would be mighty tempting as well.

unclrob,

Since you're on a tight budget right now, you could always get one of these to fill the gap until you can afford the 'real deal' Larrivee:

http://www.rondomusic.com/ad201hs.html

Looks like a good 'project guitar' to me; I've been very tempted to get one of these (they're made in lefty dress, too).

I've done business with the seller, and he seems to be a straight shooter; I've heard lots of good comments from others about his customer service, too.

One pic; more at the link...

[attachment deleted by admin]
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thats a nice looking guitar!  Did you notice the weight?

When you say it would be a good project guitar, what would you change on it?  Seems pretty complete already, and a great price.  Has anyone played one of these and can comment?

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Mikey right now I have P90's on my main Tele type.It has a Fralin SP in the bridge which looks like the standard tele pu in the neck I have a Kent Armstrong dog eared P90.So right now I have that covered.I was just thinkin that having a Larrivee electric in mix would be fun.A set neck guitar with P90's sound very different from a bolt neck with P90's.But I think I want to save up to have a special order 12 string made from Larrivee first.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

unclrob,

Your post reminded me that I had a Lollar Tele Special bridge pup sitting in a drawer, and so I decided to throw it back in my Warmoth thinline Tele today...man that pickups sounds good; don't know why I took it out?

It's tone is a step above the Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy that was in there (also a very good pickup), the one disadvantage to the Tallboy is that it must not be potted - or potted enough, because when you really pour on the overdrive/distortion (with a pedal), it squeals like a stuck pig! Unbearable! I don't usually drive it that much, but when I want to, I don't want a sonic nightmare (in the middle of worship!).

I might also have a Fralin SP43 sitting in that drawer ... I'm gonna check when I get home tonight. I didn't care for it as much as the Lollar, but I've liked other Fralin pickups (the more vintage ones).

Mikey my SP has the 42 guage wire at 7800 wraps.There seems to be a good bit of difference in tone depending on the wire guage and the number of wraps.Mine are based on 50's era P90's.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Please don't think that I am patting myself on the back but a few months ago I sent an e-mail
to Matthew saying what an awesome color the T.V. Yellow would be for the RS-2! :bgrin:

Man those pics are just to "FREAKIN SWEET" of the new updated RS-2 in the T.V. YELLOW! :drool:

I have got to get myself one! I don't mean any NEGATIVITY on the new RS-2 but I hope
for everyone's benefit that MATTHEW and LARRIVEE corrected the "PICKUP CAVITY" issue
with the original RS-2's where you didn't have any pickup adjustment to lower the pickups!

Hopefully Matthew will comment with a confirmation on this! :thumbsup
Everything else looks to be a "HOMERUN" on the new updated RS-2!

Mac
Mac Baker

:bowdown:               
Quote from: macsmojado on February 03, 2011, 04:57:27 PM
a few months ago I sent an e-mail
to Matthew saying what an awesome color the T.V. Yellow would be for the RS-2! :bgrin:

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Yeah...and who was the guy who ordered the first RS-2 with satin body...???  :whistling:

You can thank me anytime...

I hear you REV!! :thumb

The RS-4 just seems to sound better everytime I take it out to play! :beer

You just had a birthday recently didn't you! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! :nana_guitar
Mac Baker

So any updates on the RS-2's? What's the neck profile like and it's dimensions if you have them? Any shots of them in other colours?

A clear orange with a black guard would likely make me get my check book out, I think these things look very cool and P-90s are one of my weaknesses.

Happy Playing!

I'd compare the neck profile to a Gibson '60's neck profile...maybe not quite that thin, but certainly not a bulky '50's profile.

Quote from: Drew816 on February 18, 2011, 03:19:04 PM
So any updates on the RS-2's? What's the neck profile like and it's dimensions if you have them? Any shots of them in other colours?

Many of us would LOVE to see some shot in other colors - Matthew - if you check in here, maybe you can help us out?!

:humour:

Is it possible to choose the pickguard colour, as well as the pickups color?
Are there other pics for the alternate color options?

Quote from: iozz on April 06, 2011, 07:23:33 AM
Is it possible to choose the pickguard colour, as well as the pickups color?
Are there other pics for the alternate color options?

I think the pickguards come in any color you want, so long as it's black.  :bgrin:

However, on these new RS-2's, the pickguards are not screwed on, so it *should* be possible to take one off if you don't like the color...and you could actually send it to Warmoth or another company that sells pickguards and have them make you one in the color of your choice.

I haven't seen any other pics of the other color options ... this is one of our (few minor) complaints around here about Larrivee: great products, but they aren't wasting any money on marketing, that's for sure!

:blush:

I've asked Larrivee whether the pickguard is removable or not, and it's not. There is a risk of pulling paint/wood up with it. They can put no pickguard on if asked, though.

Quote from: iozz on April 07, 2011, 02:55:44 AM
I've asked Larrivee whether the pickguard is removable or not, and it's not. There is a risk of pulling paint/wood up with it. They can put no pickguard on if asked, though.

And they would probably be glad to throw it in the case for you - then you have a pattern for a pickguard, if you want the same shape but a different color/finish.  :+1:

Rev,

I second your comment:this is one of our (few minor) complaints around here about Larrivee: great products, but they aren't wasting any money on marketing, that's for sure!  :thumb

This really bugs the "STEW" out of me! Seriously it doesn't take but one person spending a couple of hours
taking some pics and then posting them here at the forum or even better updating the LARRIVEE WEBSITE
with "SPECS" and "PICTURES" of all the colors offered!

Sorry Matthew but we all plunking down our hard earned cash for the wonderful guitars that YOU and
LARRIVEE are making so we got a right to complain about this!
:whistling:
Mac Baker