New lower priced RS-2 specs and pics (announced at NAMM)

Started by Mikeymac, January 14, 2011, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanks to Matthew for posting the RS-2 info below (next post)!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Here is the press release we sent out for your info:

We have totally redesigned our RS-2 electric for 2011. We feel the new RS-2 will be one of the hottest American-made electric guitars on the market.  

$1148 MSRP for single P-90
$1298 MSRP for two P-90

Specs
American made in Oxnard, California
Satin Finish
Comfortable, tummy and forearm cut
Single piece, light-weight mahogany body
Single piece mahogany neck with ebony headplate
Mother of Pearl Fret Markers
Switchcraft output jack
CTS 500K Pots
Braided cloth wire
Vintage Paper-in-oil capacitors
Tone Pros AVT-II Wrap Around Bridge
Kluson Tulip Tip Tuners by Tone Pros
Top Hat Knobs
Beveled non-warping pick guard
Larrivee Custom P-90 pickups
Hardshell case

Available Colors:
Sonic Blue
Daphne Blue
Seafoam Green
Vintage TV Yellow / Dark Grain
Silver
Black
Transparent Amber
Expected delivery - Mid-late April

In the words of George Takei,  Ohhh, myyyy.

Ed

This su*k's....me with no money.What a beautiful looking guitar.Question,are the P90's produce by Larrivee or someone else?If I can put the money together is the Tone Pro bridge the same whithd as the old style wrap-a-round?I ask because I have a few 50's and 60's original wrap-a-rounds that would look great on any of the colours. :nice guitar:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I am almost certain the PUPS would be Larrivee. Larrivee have discovered they really know how to make PUPS thus I would bet they are trying to get them out there for the rest of the world to discover.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I think it's a great looking guitar except for the pickguard.  I don't like that at all.   I'd have take it off immediately.

Thank you, Matthew!   :nice guitar:

This is just what we were looking for - solid information (and pics)! Only now a bunch of us have more gas!!! I thought I was pretty much "set" with my two Larrivee electrics, but I really like this redesign! And LOVE the all satin finish (hmmm...I wonder where that idea came from?!).

Also look forward to seeing the other colors (I'm assuming the color above is the TV yellow/dark grain)...

Quote from: tuffythepug on January 15, 2011, 11:59:19 AM
I think it's a great looking guitar except for the pickguard.  I don't like that at all.   I'd have take it off immediately.

I agree - I'm not crazy about the pickguard, but would probably leave it on (or at least keep it in the case) just to keep it "original". Looks like this will be easy to do - I don't see any screws in the pickguard; that's a good idea for those of us who like to mod.

Unclrob, with those MSRP prices, you should be able to pay under $1K for a 2 pickup model - a STEAL for a Made in USA set-neck instrument! 

I suspect I'll have one before the end of 2011! (Of course I'll be selling a few things to help pay for it!) Can't wait to see more colors, as I said above...choices choices...

Quote from: unclrob on January 15, 2011, 11:03:33 AMQuestion,are the P90's produce by Larrivee or someone else?

Like JOYCEfromNS said, Larrivee is making their own P-90's - and they sound excellent; very clear and vintage sounding, NO MUD whatsoever, so they sound great clean to slightly overdriven to more driven, without getting mushy or inarticulate.

So, I wonder, should we dub this the RS-2 II or RS-2/2 ???

Big question Mikey,if you strum it normal it clean But if you add more attack without touching anything does get more growl like?I'm really glad that there building there own pu's.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on January 15, 2011, 09:48:04 PM
Big question Mikey,if you strum it normal it clean But if you add more attack without touching anything does get more growl like?I'm really glad that there building there own pu's.

I guess that depends some on the amp and amp settings...but I would say, yes, playing style affects the pickup output at the amp on these. I use the volume (and tone) controls to "clean it up," even with a pedal, and this works pretty well; like on the RS-4, the volume/tone controls are very dynamic and useful.

I wonder if this new one will have the nice capacitors of the "old" RS-2 and RS-4? - it doesn't say in the specs Matthew gave. But to me, those are part of the tone equation, too, albeit a small part.

That tells me that Matt is building closer to 50's style P90's then the newer cr*p thats out there.Thanks Matt.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

The Larrivee P-90's are partially accurate to vintage models - I did model them after a 54 soapbar, but I put a slight twist on them. Many of the details are vintage correct (Screw alloys, Magnet wire, braided lead, etc) but I changed the baseplate to Nickel Silver - which I think sounds way better and cleaner than traditional brass (Probably why Seth Lover chose Nickel Silver for PAF's). In addition, older P-90's used the commonly available AlNiCo 3 magnets. I did countless tests with A3 and just could not bring myself to like it. I finally settled on A8 and A6. AlNiCo 8 in the bridge makes the pup so responsive to touch, and beautifully clean to average playing.. but strike a little harder and it growls. It has a throatiness and drive that I just love. The AlNiCo 6 in the neck is totally off vintage spec, but it does wonders for a neck pup. It full and vibrant, with a distinctive bite. Excellent mid range with clarity that you dont see in neck pups. Many neck pickups I try sound washed out, where as these just ooze mojo.

Many makers make higher wind P-90's (11+ kohms), probably because they attempting to compensate for a tone they dont like. It has the effect of darkening the pickup and driving it too hard. I like a low to vintage wind (7.5-8.8kohms). It will handle anything you throw at it and sound great in virtually any style from Jazz to Punk Rock.

So to answer your question - Yes they are a vintage wind - but with a well thought out twist.

Hopefully this doesn't spotlight my lack of attention but...  Nut width and scale length are... .??

Ed

Quote from: eded on January 17, 2011, 11:23:26 PM
Nut width and scale length are... .??

Ed

Scale Length: 25.5" or 650mm
Nut Width: 1 & 11/16th" or 43mm

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Once again a big thanks for caring Matt.The main reason I don't like a lot of pu's that are made today is because they are overwound and too hot to produce a nice toned pu.Attack responce is what really make's a great P90. :thumb
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I got to hold one awhile ago at Yarnell place...they are more ergonomic and lighter than the current RS-2's.  A really nice guitar.

Quote from: Walkerman on January 18, 2011, 01:04:06 PM
I got to hold one awhile ago at Yarnell place...they are more ergonomic and lighter than the current RS-2's.  A really nice guitar.

Wha...??? There's already some in production? 

Cool!!!   :drool: :thumb

Walkerman ... what color was the one you played? Did you like the color?

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 18, 2011, 03:53:45 PM
Wha...??? There's already some in production?  

Cool!!!   :drool: :thumb

Walkerman ... what color was the one you played? Did you like the color?

I didn't play it...it was "in production"....mainly just the wood part, unfinished, no electronics.  But, as I said, it felt good.  But, being as Matthew has posted a picture of a completed one, they've got to be close...... :cheers