Could this be a Larrivee??

Started by Larrivee4me, January 12, 2011, 03:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted this on the local CL ads.  Sort of looks like a Larrivee built Kramer.  I'm trying to contact the seller to find out the mfg date.  Any ideas about this one???

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/msg/2154947099.html

The bridge on it (a trem bridge? hard to say for sure from pics) doesn't look like one that Larrivee used, and the headstocks on the Larrivees were more angular...I'm not an expert on '80's Larrivees, but I think this is just a Kramer; probably recent and probably made in China.

The other related clue is that it is paired with a Rogue amp...not exactly the same quality or price level as a Larrivee...and I suspect the guitar and amp were bought at the same time for someone to learn on, and they've since discovered it's not an overnight thing to become the next EVH...so the gear is now for sale...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Looks like a Kramer to me. Seriously, there's a similarity but the headstock is rounded instead of the sharp edged LarrivĂ©e (Bird of Prey) headstock that I'm familiar with. How would one really know? Randy???  

[attachment deleted by admin]

I see what you mean about the rounded headstock shape.  "Bird of prey" eh?  As in Klingon war vessel?   Tochh ve chuhhh!! :roll

I would love to find an old style Larrivee electric and I know they put some other names on the headstock, Kramer among them. 
Thanks for the input

According to what I've read Larrivee made the Kramer Paul Dean guitar.
The Larrivee-Electric web site in the UK seems to have gone away. ????

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

The picture isn't clear enough to make a conclusive judgment, however I do not believe it to be Larrivee Kramer.  If I had more info such as serial number and could see the more pictures clearer I could tell better.   Larrivee did make other models of Kramer guitars besides the Paul Dean.  I have a yellow Larrivee Paul Dean Kramer and it is a very nice guitar.

Mike
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

Not sure why the OP would believe this to be a Larrivee. My recollection of the difference between Larrivee Kramer and a Kramer was very subtle like fret size. Placing each side by side you would really have to know the subtleties.

What was it that is present that would suggest this Larrivee made :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on January 12, 2011, 06:58:55 PM
Not sure why the OP would believe this to be a Larrivee. My recollection of the difference between Larrivee Kramer and a Kramer was very subtle like fret size. Placing each side by side you would really have to know the subtleties.

What was it that is present that would suggest this Larrivee made :?

My curiosity was piqued by the overall shape, rear routed body, HSS pickups, tremolo, oddly angled headstock and a faint recollection that Larrivee at one time made some Kramer guitars.  Of course to a trained eye like yours, this is obviously not a Larrivee. 

Quote from: Randy_R on January 12, 2011, 06:40:56 PM
According to what I've read Larrivee made the Kramer Paul Dean guitar.
The Larrivee-Electric web site in the UK seems to have gone away. ????

Yep. I tried to go there too and got an error message of some kind. Too bad.