OM21 Special

Started by AgeOfEmpires, January 07, 2011, 01:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(I know there is a current OM21 thread but didn't want to hijack it)

Anyone care to comment on this model?  (Aside from whether you like/dislike the aging on the top)

I really like my OM-03R so I've demo'ed a few other OM's around.  I've not owned any other serious guitars other than Larrivee, but have started to hear the siren call of Martin (doesn't everyone have to own at least one at some point???).  Trinity had a used OM-28VS that I really wanted but couldn't afford at the time and I was a little scared off by the V neck.  I've played an OMJM that was very nice but it is 1 11/16" and a little pricey - plus I don't particulary care for signature models of any type.

I've seen the positive comments here on the board regarding the OM21, but not as much for the special.  Just curious what those of you that have played and/or own(ed) the OM21 Special think.  Also, if you know of a link to any sound clips, please post - I've found a few but not many.

Thanks!

I played several om21specials before getting my om21. They are very nice. Darker sound than the standard. Wider spacing at nut and slimmer neck profile. I would say it had a more contemporary fingerstyle type feel and sound. The standard feels "older" and more bob dylan.

I went for the standard because I found one that really spoke to me. If I had found a special that spoke to me first I would have bought that, but the ones I tried were all new and not broken in. The 21 I got is from 95 or so, played in, and has a wonderful mature tone that no new special could match.

If I had to pin down one difference, it would be the feel of the neck.

When I purchased my Martin OM-35 from Trinity, I had the opportunity to play it against the following guitars:

1 OM-21 Special
2 OM 21 Standard models
2 OM-35 (I purchased one of the OM-35 models and never looked back)
1 OM-28V
Several Larrivee OM (03 and 05) rosewood models

I opted for the OM-35 for several reasons:

1) It was really light and responsive. It has a balanced sound including bass which is less dominant than the bass on my D-35
2) This model was being discontinued and I felt that it would be a keeper. I passed on a D-35S back in 1977 and they stopped selling them a few years later. I should have bought it back in 1977 was I was young and foolish
3) The sunburst finish was a perfect complement to my D-35 and was set-up perfectly
4) If I had to replace it, I would order a custom OM-35 from Martin and have it insured accordingly.
5) The OM-21 and 21 Special are fine guitars too. I would have no qualms about purchasing either model if I did not have my OM-35 (I did not like the v neck on the OM-28V). The Larrivee OM models are nice guitars too but I think their best design is the L and the Parlor model. I will be trying out a Jumbo or two in the next few weeks and will form my opinion then.

My Favorite Guitars has a custom order of 10 Martin OM-35 models coming in Feb or March. I have no affiliation and don't know if they are all spoken for but they are being offered at a great price. Google OM-35 and see how many people wish they had one.

I love my OM-21 Special. If I could only have one guitar, this would be the one.

I was originally looking for a Martin 000-28EC and the owner of the guitar store told me I should really check out the OM-21 Special and compare it to the OM-21 and OM-28V. I did. The OM-21 Special really spoke to me. I loved it's sound and vintage appointments, as well as it's playability. Of course no two guitars of the same model may even sound alike so I would recommend you go out and play one or more at the same dealer and also try to do some on-site comparisons to similar size instruments, as was recommend to me.

Here is a detailed review of the guitar you may also find helpful:
http://bit.ly/ftF7uM

Good luck.

There is a very "special" Martin OM ordered by Jerry Jeff Walker at a local guitar shop. It is like a jazzed up OM-21 special with a sunburst top and other special bling. I played it and liked it. It looks like Jerry Jeff may not take delivery on it. It ain't cheap, but would be a great find.
   Probably 3K + though on price. I can check if it's available if you want.

Quote from: dependan on January 08, 2011, 11:17:52 AM
   There is a very "special" Martin OM ordered by Jerry Jeff Walker at a local guitar shop. It is like a jazzed up OM-21 special with a sunburst top and other special bling. I played it and liked it. It looks like Jerry Jeff may not take delivery on it. It ain't cheap, but would be a great find.
   Probably 3K + though on price. I can check if it's available if you want.

I appreciate the offer.  The price point on the regular production OM21 special will be a stretch for me, so this one would most certainly be out of my price range. 

Some days before Xmas I went with a friend of mine for a Guitar Tour. We went to the usual guitar heaven where we can try lot of nice axes.
I were interested in small guitars, as Gibson Robert Johnson or L0. After I tried an L0 and a Keb'Mo I decided that's not my kind of guitar.
So I went for something bigger and I tried a Larrivee L09, a Martin OM-21 and then an OM-21 Special.  WIth this last one it was love at first touch.
I think I found the sound I was looking for without knowing. 
It was a used one in really mint conditions, and the price was good. I had some money as I had sold my OM-2 some weeks before, and I already had a deal with a guy that wanted to buy my Washburn Parlor R319 (I kept it only 1 month, I am now convinced small size guitars are not for me).
So after 2 days I came back to the shop and the OM-21S is now mine.
I am not good in describing the sound, sorry, I'll try to post some sample in next days.

Some pictures:

Larrivée OOO40-MT (2018)
Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1997)
Taylor AD17E Blacktop

I love the smell of Spruce in the morning

Quote from: teh on January 07, 2011, 08:23:32 PM
My Favorite Guitars has a custom order of 10 Martin OM-35 models coming in Feb or March. I have no affiliation and don't know if they are all spoken for but they are being offered at a great price. Google OM-35 and see how many people wish they had one.

The OM-35 looks similar to a Yairi FYM95. 

Quote from: Braxton on January 09, 2011, 05:36:18 AM
So after 2 days I came back to the shop and the OM-21S is now mine.

Congrats!   :nice guitar:

I'd love to find a used one (my two Larrivees came used from Trinity and they are virtually perfect).  I'm not holding out much hope though.  It seems (to me at least) they don't come up too often.

I'll look forward to hearing some samples.

That's great Braxton. Nice guitar. I've always wanted one.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing