Poll
Question: I don't know whether to put in a Baggs Anthem pic-up or buy a mic. The mic obviously can be used with many guitars. Any thoughts?  (Voting closed: January 11, 2011, 05:31:14 PM)
mic - 2 (66.7%)
pick-up - 1 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: installng a pick-ups or buying a mic  (Read 857 times)
Zag

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2011, 05:31:14 PM »

I'm not sure which way to go. Whether to buy a mic or install a pic-up. I see the majority of pros online using mics.
And could someone suggest  a mic and a likely price please.
Thanks,
Zagg
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 06:20:46 PM »

How do you use your guitar?

Is this for recording or performance?

If you are recording - is this in a quiet, controlled environment?

Do you perform live?
Solo or in a group?

Type of music?
For whom (audience: who are they, what are they doing while you are performing)?

Where will you be playing? (type of venue, size)

-=click to see why I ask=-

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 07:17:15 PM »

-=click to see why I ask=-

Hi Zag,

Unless you've got a big den and a decent amplification system, I wouldn't be in big hurry to spend money on a pickup or a microphone.

If not for the pending deal on the LR Baggs Anthem, if it were me, I would wait until I had owned the Larrivée for awhile. The reason... to see if both guitars were getting much air time. Having the Larrivée may change your thinking about when, where, and how you will be playing.

People seem to like the Anthem. If I could pick one up for $100 I'd probably do it just to experiment and hear it first hand. But our situations are completely different.

SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 03:32:42 PM »

welcome Zag   

A Fishman Neo D may not be the best alternative but I find it great for temporary amplification without permanent installation.

Steve ....aka the SMan
Tele

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »

Hey Zag,

I agree with ST. If you are only playing in your den, and just want to amplify the guitar, I think you'll find it easier to go with the Anthem. You will always get a better sound from a mic, (well, almost always) but for your purposes, and for the deal on that Anthem, I think you'll be very happy with it.

I have a couple of the (full version) Anthems, one I just had installed in a Breedlove 12 string C25/W.The other is going in a custom build. The Anthem is a good choice for many reasons, but I gig with the guitar and using a mic is not always practical. I am pleased with the reproductive capabilities of the Anthem. A lot of your sound will depend on the rest of your signal chain, so bear that in mind. I say go for it. It sounds like an incredible deal!

Tele 
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 04:52:18 PM »

I'll start by confessing I have never plugged in  since selling my Fender Precision Bass in high school.

I recently was at a convention where the entertainer played a late '70s Larrivee L (and quite well too). He had a stereo set-up with a UST and something else.  Until I saw the guitar and spoke with him I though he was playing  a 00 or something.  He was very proud of his guitar and set-up. Acoustically the guitar sounded great! Through the PA it sounded just like every UST does in my experience.   In other words, the guitar matters very little with the on-board systems I have heard: It's all about the electronics.

So I vote for a  mike. You can't dance and play at the same time of course. But the guitar has a better chance of sounding like itself through a good mike and PA.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Glennd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:33:50 PM »

The top line Anthem for $100.00 I'll take 3 thank you. Maybe the best (non-mic) amplification available for acoustic guitar.

1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D35 Maury Muhlheison
2010 Martin D21- Special
2011 Martin HD-18V Custom
2012 Martin OMM John Renbourn
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 03:50:41 AM »

I'm with Chris and voted that way.I have Ibeams in 2 of my guitars for working with load electric players.I've tried out all the stuff to date and it works but I really prefer mic's.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: