Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your 2010 Album of The Year  (Read 5250 times)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »

+1

Is that referring to when I said maybe I'm getting too old???
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2011, 07:35:40 PM »

Ha ha. I disagree again though. The artists I know of that I referred to earlier are finding their success through hard graft and touring. Ghost Trains just returned from a gruelling tour of the US, and after Christmas and New Year gigs nearer home they are off round Europe very soon. Long weeks of living out of suitcases playing the same songs over and over. It's a real commitment to a lifestyle in order to have a hope of success.

Or you can ignore your artistic calling, use a computer and AutoTune to knock out something stupid that'll give you a million sales in 5 minutes, and then be a laughing stock nobody with 15 minutes of fame to look back on.

I don't think it's any easier to 'make it' now than it was.  It's easier to make your music accessible to those who are looking for it. Making people look for it isn't any easier though.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2011, 07:57:55 PM »

Ha ha. I disagree again though. The artists I know of that I referred to earlier are finding their success through hard graft and touring. Ghost Trains just returned from a gruelling tour of the US, and after Christmas and New Year gigs nearer home they are off round Europe very soon. Long weeks of living out of suitcases playing the same songs over and over. It's a real commitment to a lifestyle in order to have a hope of success.

Or you can ignore your artistic calling, use a computer and AutoTune to knock out something stupid that'll give you a million sales in 5 minutes, and then be a laughing stock nobody with 15 minutes of fame to look back on.

I don't think it's any easier to 'make it' now than it was.  It's easier to make your music accessible to those who are looking for it. Making people look for it isn't any easier though.

That's exactly what I was referring to when I made the original statement...."I couldn't agree less. Good music, even by unknowns, will eventually get out.  And that is especially true if the musician can perform well live.  Look at "Bat Out of Hell."

If you have talent, and if you can perform live....and IF you are willing to pay your dues, you will make it.  I really believe that.  I need to add one more caveat...if you make music that a lot of people like.
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »

Well, making a living on music is now and always has been a tough way to put bread on the table.
Selling CDs or downloads won't get you rich these days. Used to be artists would tour in order to promote their new album. Now it's really the other way around. The money is in the touring if there is any. And as Walkerman said, that is a rough life, on the road all the time, living out of a suitcase. They hone their skills playing live night after night and for hours on end.
I'm quite content to have music as my avocation and lead a sane life with some stability, as opposed to getting home for 2 days a month to pay some bills and then head out again.
I talk to lots of these artists before their shows and I'll tell you, they don't find it a very glamorous existence they're living.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »

Well, making a living on music is now and always has been a tough way to put bread on the table.
Selling CDs or downloads won't get you rich these days. Used to be artists would tour in order to promote their new album. Now it's really the other way around. The money is in the touring if there is any. And as Walkerman said, that is a rough life, on the road all the time, living out of a suitcase. They hone their skills playing live night after night and for hours on end.
I'm quite content to have music as my avocation and lead a sane life with some stability, as opposed to getting home for 2 days a month to pay some bills and then head out again.
I talk to lots of these artists before their shows and I'll tell you, they don't find it a very glamorous existence they're living.

Elvis, Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin and Moon are just a few from an endless list who'd agree with you.
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2011, 08:38:01 PM »

But the problem is making music that lots of people like these days is the problem.  To quote a song 'there's only music so that there's new ringtones' isn't to far from the truth these days.  Funny that that was a lyric from a flash in the pan band who made their name through publically opposing the record labels and promoting themselves through the internet.  Millions followed suit, swamped that outlet completely, and the band in question became an has been once again.

Sandi Thom got to number 1 in the UK with a song promoted through a series of live gigs from her basement, broadcasted from a webcam and her own website to bigger and bigger audiences.  Turns out a few years later that the whole thing was set up by a record label.  Its a strange business, and for that business I will continue searching under the radar for music that I like, rather than waiting for someone to tell me to like something.

After all my ranting and overeacting earlier, i guess we end up in the same place(ish)

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »

maybe I'm getting too old???

Certainly better than the alternative!!!!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Jeff

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2011, 09:07:39 PM »

I haven't really enjoyed anything from Elton John for a few decades but I always liked Leon Russell. EJ should have simply produced this for Leon, and stood clear of the piano and microphone. He ruined the CD for me.

I so agree.  I was pretty excited to see that Leon Russell was back on the scene--"Carney" used to be on my ten desert island albums list.  I haven't owned a thing by Elton John since Honkey Chateau, but I thought I give it a try.  He ruined it for me too.

As for new stuff, not sure I'd put it out as album of the year, but I really enjoyed Black Prairie's Feast of the Hunters' Moon--their version of Red Rocking Chair is pretty chilling.  I also liked Jakob Dylan's album, which is mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Jeff

OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin
kingjack5

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2011, 04:59:38 PM »

The Avett Brothers: I and Love and You
LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »

Cadillac Sky - Letters in the Deep.

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
Musica36

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »

The black keys-brothers gets my vote.

"Sans Souci"
-My Aunt Luce Deluce from Toulouse
claudefr

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2011, 11:12:37 PM »

My 2010 album of the year is Outlaster by Nina Nastasia, especialy for this song :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovikL2W6Koc

and this one that is spectacular :
http://stereogum.com/361682/nina-nastasia-whats-out-there-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

and this one to :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6rPD7sW8r8

plus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_VNaThCRJc

Claude

Larrivée C-10 with iMix no cut
Laforest Classical #5
Godin Multiac Grand Concert SA nylon strings
Godin XTSA electric
Tacoma BM6C Baritone tuned ADGCEA with G and C one octave higher
Norman B20 HG
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up